*Finished* KL6 + Cree XR-E

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my first Cree LEDs in the mail today. :rock:

So far, it looks like the emitter will fit perfectly in the KL6 reflector without widening of the opening. It's in focus at this level, too. However, I will need to make some kind of pedestal for the emitter to sit on, so that there is a thermal path to the heatsink.

Has anyone come up with a simple copper or aluminum spacer to make a Cree emitter have the same die height as a Luxeon?

Update: the mod is finished!

Update 1/1/07: pictures are posted.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: Promising mod: KL6 + Cree XR-E

PM modder CM. CM did a P4 Cree mod to my KL6. He will probably give you some pointers. Mod turned out awesome!!

Bill

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Promising mod: KL6 + Cree XR-E

OK, I just figured out a way: turn the KL6 heatsink over. The back side has an elevated lip that's just the right height for the Cree emitter.

The mod is done now!

Output: A little bit more than my stock L5, which has a very good Luxeon V in it. :cool:

Throw: The hotspot is at least 50% brighter than my Aleph 1 2x123A. :cool:

Tint: warm-white. :cool:

I'll try to post a couple of pics and more detailed instructions in the next couple of days, if I can.

audioman

Newly Enlightened
i'm very interesting in this MOD , are you using the surefire orignal L6 convector board ?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, the runtime will be increased as it's only using 1/2 the voltage as the LuxV. I forget what the drive level is in the L6, but the Cree could probably get more current and runtime still be better than w/the luxeon..

Cool find on the HS!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
New pictures-

Bezel view:

Aleph 1 vs. L6 w/ Cree:

Surefire L5 vs. L6 w/ Cree:

MagLED 3D vs. L6 w/ Cree:

Surefire E2E (non-fresh batteries) vs. L6 w/ Cree:

These pictures do not capture the sidespill or total light output accurately. The L6/Cree mod emits more total light than any of the other lights in these beamshots, even slightly more compared to my L5.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Real nice asdalton. My Cree'd KL6, by CM, also has slightly brighter overall light output (bounce with lightmeter) than my overachiever KL5. The real advantage IMHO is reduced heat, and higher lux over the stock KL6, and in my case much higher output than stock KL6. The stock KL6 heatsink does not mate well with a good WWOS (I tried it, or rather CM did), or the original stock Lux V, producing excessive heat and resultant reduced output over time (1 minute). Now my KL6 offers better output than a lux V, and holds that output, and runs much, much cooler, as well as producing higher lux.

Bill

Latest posts