LIDL Magnifying Glass with LED Lighting

Martin

Enlightened
Today, German discount chain LIDL is selling a 2.5x magnifying glass with LED lighting.
I bought one and I'm plesantly surprised. So here comes a mini-review:

At a price of EUR 5.99 I didn't expect too much, but I was so wrong. The body is nicley-machined aluminium (no HA, for sure). Batteries, a zippered case for storage and a cloth for cleaning the optics are included. There's a 5 year warranty on the product.

The light switch is a pushbutton that lights up 4 LEDs upon the first click and 8 LEDs upon the second click. The LEDs' brightness is just right to examine small objects clearly without glare. The light is smooth and lights up objects evenly from all angles. The tint is slighly on the blue side, a non-flashoholic doesn't notice it.

The LEDs run off 2 AA cells, using a very well regulated (!!) converter. The converter is actually amazing, something I would never have expected at this price and on such a product. It maintains constant light power b/w 1.4 and 4.0 V, making the very best use of the batteries.

LidlLupeConverter.gif

If you like to dig deeper, here's the spreadsheet.

Without having disassembled the unit and based on my electrical measurements only, I assume that all LEDs are connected in parallel. There's however enough voltage drop that this circuit could operate off a fully-charged single Li-Ion cell (but careful, it will discharge an unprotected cell to an unacceptably low voltage).

Finally, a few photos:
Lupe1.jpg
Lupe2.jpg

Here's a scan of the manual:
Lupe3.jpg
Lupe4.jpg
Lupe5.jpg

Bottom line: This product will stay with me for a long time to come. The only thing that I feel could be improved is the weight. Some stamp collectors might consider it a bit too heavy for extended periods of usage.

frankr

Newly Enlightened
I like what I see, but I do not speak German, so I could not find it on their website. Is it available to the U.S.? How much does it cost?
Thanks

Martin

Enlightened
frankr said:
I like what I see, but I do not speak German, so I could not find it on their website. Is it available to the U.S.? How much does it cost?
Thanks

I've not heard that LIDL operates branches in the US.
LIDL non-food offers are usually available for half a week only. Sometimes you can still find an item 1 week later, but after 2 weeks they are definitely sold (if not, the price is lowered so much that they sell).

Judging from the price or EUR 5.99 this item has been imported so that it should be available globally. Now if you look around you might well find it under another name at a US outlet. LIDL sells this under the locally-known brand name "Bresser". Behind "Bresser" there is MEADE and they do have an English website. I have not found that particular magnifier on their website, though.

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
Martin
Thank you for the review. I have been looking for a lighted magnifier that wasn't junk like some others I have tried.

Frankr
Thank you for sluething out a U.S. source. Ordering up one today.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought one of these today in a Swedish Lidl store. Very nice feel and quality for the price, only 69.90:- ($10). Love it. I have been scouting Lidl stores since I saw this review.

Stefan

Martin

Enlightened
Lidl is offering this same magnifier again on Monday, Dec-17.
As before, the price is EUR 5.99 and it's covered by a 5 yr warranty.
Here is the product link.