Is paypal free?

Whistler

Enlightened
Because I always pay with a credit card I have no idea.

On their site it seems to be free of charge. Not so long ago (in my perception?) they asked a fee for every transaction!?

Could I pay there with my credit card to contribute for example for Craig or the CPF? Only first/premier/business accounts are allowed to receive C-card payments?

Otherwise it would not be of much use since international wire transfer is very 'pricy'.

Thanks!

Rotten Ron

Newly Enlightened
I went to join paypal yesterday went all the way through sign up process and the very last disclaimer scared me away. Something about not being responsable for security of infomation and since my old paralel port computer(my first one!)is probobly not to secure, and having about 2 1/2 months computer experence keeps me from securing my info and signing up. Any info will help. THanks.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a regular (personal) Paypal account. I can send money via CC and checking. to RECEIVE money from CC, you must have a premeire/business account.

Parallel port has NOTHING to do with security!! Security is determined by encryption in your browser, as well as having all known security holes that have patches, patched. Also get rid of all spyware. This is security.

Almost all PCs have one parallel port, and I have 2 on mine, plus 4 USB and 2 serial (RS-232C). I also have an ethernet nic with a cable modem attached.

BTW, the only totally secure computer, is one that is not connected to anything but wall power and printer. (not including mouse and keyboard). In other words, no network, online service, or internet. I don't care if you are using a Mac, windows, linux, unix, or any other OS.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
BTW, the only totally secure computer, is one that is not connected to anything but wall power and printer. (not including mouse and keyboard). In other words, no network, online service, or internet. I don't care if you are using a Mac, windows, linux, unix, or any other OS.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, about the only really 'secure' computer is one that is unplugged(from everything), turned off, locked in a box, and buried in concrete.. and even then it could still be 'cracked' with a jackhammer and some power tools..
wink.gif

But for most intents and purposes, Charles is pretty much correct (unless you have a wireless keyboard..) Just be aware that anything can be a risk, and it is a matter of how much of a risk you are willing to live with.

Graham

Darell

Flashaholic
Personally I choose to use my computer due to the fear of poking myself in the eye with a sharpened pencil. My head has wacked my keyboard several times in years past (you know - when I used to have a job, and fell asleep at the keyboard regularly) and I have YET to put an eye out.

grin.gif
- I like the "buried in concrete" visual.

Charles summed up the Paypal business perfectly. NOBODY can recieve your CC payment without paying a fee. But if they're set up to accept CC payments, they'll pay the same fee even if you send cash. Wasn't always like this, but that's how it is now.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Originally posted by darell:
Personally I choose to use my computer due to the fear of poking myself in the eye with a sharpened pencil. My head has wacked my keyboard several times in years past (you know - when I use to have a job, and fell asleep at the keyboard) .
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, is that what these marks are in my keyboard? There also seems to be a little discolored area. Drool perhaps? Eww, time to clean my keyboard off ;-)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well I did have a shop teacher that wore safety goggles at the computer...I decited it must be those keys that pop off at 50 MPH and take eyes out--about as common as the wireless keyboards that transmit information more than 6 feet.

Which is why I would like to take the moment to say that with 4 cordless mice in my household we've had absolutely no fighing mice--and Logitech keyboards use the same technology so...

ANYWAY that's not the point, the point is that PayPal is hardly free. I linked my bank account to it and watched it shrink
tongue.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Tater Rocket:
Drool perhaps?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I could never survive in Gattaca! I keep forgetting that you have tons of my DNA. No wait - the drool I'm SURE is my daughter's. Uh-huh.

Whistler

Enlightened
Just signed up despite all. How scary... .

I will keep an eye on my credit card bill. But I missed the CPF SF G2.

In the best Mr Science tradition and standards I did some research on the risks of computers. I banged on one eye a pencil, on the other a keyboard. After performing this test
bluedead.gif
I consider both ways as dangerous. Since my vision is now impaired: is this what they call a double blind study
icon15.gif
Tomorrow I will perform the concrete test, hopefully not double blind any more but perhaps after it again...
wink.gif

Light-Headed

Enlightened
I've read some of the horror stories about how Paypal locked up a users account for little or no reason and denied access to the funds while they "investigated it".

I use Paypal quite a bit and just have a free "Personal" account with them. But, just to be safe, whenever I do recieve a payment from somebody into my Paypal account, I immediately go in and withdraw the funds into my bank account. It takes a couple of days for it to clear into your bank account, but they don't limit the number of times you can do this.

I figure, the less time my funds are in my Paypal account, the better my chances are that I won't be denied access to them should something go wrong.

Just my opinion.

axolotls

Enlightened
Damn. I have an Apple ][+, //c in my garage. Combined together LightHeaded has twice as much ram as those.

I've been using paypal for a long time. No real problems. Except all incoming $$$ get charged 2.9% + .30 cents. I can get half of that back if I use a debit card associated with it.

PayPal gets you about twice what a merchant gets charged (B&M store).

Still convenient.

Light-Headed

Enlightened
fan.gif

10 Print "I really do"
20 Gosub 50
30 Print "this computer stinks!"
40 Goto 70
50 Print "think that"
60 Return
70 End

biggrin_2.gif
biggrin_2.gif
biggrin_2.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note, I only uses Paypal as a transaction service (from my CC or checking account). I keep nothing in the actual Paypal account.

Now that Paypal is owned by eBay, they are working to bring it into full federal bank regulations compliance.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Run: Light-Headed post

I really do
Think That
This computer stinks

There: Translation for you people that aern't nerds like some of us...

Light-Headed

Enlightened
ha.gif
laugh.gif
ha.gif

Thanks for the translation Saaby. I was hoping somebody would understand my poor attempts at humor.
bigeyes_2.gif

P.S. Are there three e's in Sweden?
smile.gif