PK Design Lab

Thread: Costco 4AA LED Mini Lanterns

Default Costco 4AA LED Mini Lanterns

Was at Costco yesterday and see that they have another (presumably) seasonal 2 - light pack. This time it's a pair of LED lanterns for $20 similar to the OSRAM, Sylvania, Essential Gear, River Rock, etc. They have fold-out "feet" like the OSRAM family. Didn't really look too hard at them otherwise. Anyone else seen these and have a clue to their heritage?

Default Re: New(?) Costco LED lanterns

Quote Originally Posted by sotyakr
    Was at Costco yesterday and see that they have another (presumably) seasonal 2 - light pack. This time it's a pair of LED lanterns for $20 similar to the OSRAM, Sylvania, Essential Gear, River Rock, etc. They have fold-out "feet" like the OSRAM family. Didn't really look too hard at them otherwise. Anyone else seen these and have a clue to their heritage?
    Well I have been trying to decide between 4 different ones I see out there that all look the same, except that some have more clear bulbs or pheres while the others are more frosted.
    Plus some have 1 LED for low light and 4 for more, while "I think" the others do 2 stage lighting all with one LED.

I'm not sure which one Costco's is, nor am I sure which one is the brightest.

http://store.sylvania.com/show_item.cfm?i=72035

http://www.essentialgear.com/store....=13000&uid=2814

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/osr...led_lantern.htm

And last but not least:
    http://www.theledlight.com/glorb_lantern.html

I bought several packages the other day. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138757

Didn't know there were other (and previous) versions or variations of this light but the above observation is correct. The Costco version has a clear interior dome, a total of four LEDs with one LED for the low setting and four LEDs for the high setting.

The Costco version packaging indicates that it was manufactured in China with Costco labeling on the package. However, there is no information about light measurments, levels, or runtime.

Stuart

These might be like the ones I spotted in Target at $20/3 pack. Think I'll go back for a closer look.

Geoff

Not very impressed with the set I picked up. Looks and feels exactly like the Osrams, but the light quality is poor at best. Even the River Rock lanterns were better with output. The switch is also reversed compared with my Osram. Low, then high. Reverse of the Osrams.
    Wern't the Osrams using a special Dragon led? The Costco special uses 5mm leds and the beam is not controlled very well at all.

Yep, the Osrams used the Golder Dragon LED.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Well I haven't educated myself on whats the deal about the Golden Dragon LED yet, but I'm gathering that inspite if the frosted phere, it may be the brightest and best quality LED?

This one looks just like it too, but I don't know if it is.

But then what still has me intriged is this one.... it also looks and is priced the same as the osram, yet has the clear phere.

Went back to check out the Target lanterns a little closer. They have 4 LEDs with 1 or 4 LED power levels. I don't think they had the little fold out feet. Probably not too bright, but they'd likely run forever at low power. Think I'll hold off for a price reduction. Maybe.

Geoff

Side by side, I would say the Osram Golden Dragon LED itself is about the same brightness as the RiverRock however, because its covered with a frosted sphere and because it is probably 1000K lower in color temp, it appears just a bit less bright than the RR. Come on! Get them both, don't go for the dim knock-offs.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Tell ya what folks. I have a River Rock lantern. If people want to send me examples of the other types I would be happy to do another of my "Real World Reviews" on just LED lanterns! I started a project request thread here
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Quote Originally Posted by BVH
    Side by side, I would say the Osram Golden Dragon LED itself is about the same brightness as the RiverRock however, because its covered with a frosted sphere and because it is probably 1000K lower in color temp, it appears just a bit less bright than the RR. Come on! Get them both, don't go for the dim knock-offs.
    Thanks BVH.. I have appreciated your comments and input.

I need to educate myself a tad more on whats the big deal with a dragon LED.... so far, I see its brighter and better than the single LED's, but I don't know about the othery types of leds.

Thanks for the info! Didn't realize the Costco "Emergency" lantern is of the 4 (5mm) LED variety. I'm sure it's fine for "emergencies", but I've got a River Rock already so I'll just save my money.

Does anyone know where you can buy the river rock lantern?
    I can't find it on targets page?

I could not find one single hit on the WEB when I was looking for them. You just have to go to Target and if you're lucky, they'll have one/some in stock. The day I bought 6, I had to go to 4 Targets.

Quote Originally Posted by BVH
    I could not find one single hit on the WEB when I was looking for them. You just have to go to Target and if you're lucky, they'll have one/some in stock. The day I bought 6, I had to go to 4 Targets.
    My only target is about 40 min away... humm... must be an instore item not on thier web page.

Unenlightened

Default LED lantern 2-pack at Costco

Costco in St. Louis has a two pack of led lanterns for $18.xx. They look exactly like http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/osram_gd.htm , but I think other manufacturers have copied the design, so they may not be the same.

Default Re: LED lantern 2-pack at Costco

"Energy efficient LED lights last for over 100,000 hours of use".

That is *really* energy efficient.

Similar but not identical. The Costco ones use a clear dome and multiple 5mm leds, while the Osram Golden Dragon uses a frosted dome and single "Golden Dragon" led, some sort of luxeon or clone. I have the Osram, did not try the Costco one.

I pass them up 2 or three times a week. My understanding is they are disappointing with their multiple LED's as compared to the genuine Golden Dragon single LED. It appears to be the exact body thought but with the clear dome.

Default Costco 4AA LED Mini Lanterns

Since this is both LED and lantern I figured I'd post this in general.

If you see the little 4AA LED lanterns at Costco SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

Horrible horrible light diffusion. As stated on flashlightreviews about the River Rocks they cast light in harshly striated lines that make it look like your seeing the lines in Jupiter.

NOt even for $19 were these worth it. I can't tell if they they are some other makers lights rebranded as there were no real markngs.

On the positive side they had Inova XO2's for only $22.79. At that price I figured what the heck.

Default Re: Costco 4AA LED Mini Lanterns

...merged threads.
    -"Must control self"-

Wow! Thanks Sig. You're really on top of things. I looked for this by searching Costco & Lantern but got WAAAYYY too many hits to weed through.

Quote Originally Posted by bitslammer
    Since this is both LED and lantern I figured I'd post this in general.

If you see the little 4AA LED lanterns at Costco SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

Horrible horrible light diffusion. As stated on flashlightreviews about the River Rocks they cast light in harshly striated lines that make it look like your seeing the lines in Jupiter.

NOt even for $19 were these worth it. I can't tell if they they are some other makers lights rebranded as there were no real markngs.

On the positive side they had Inova XO2's for only $22.79. At that price I figured what the heck.
    i must be one of the few people who likes the costco lanterns. i agree with bitslammer in that the light quality is very harsh - similar to the river rocks, but the build quality is very solid. the costco lanterns are not quite as bright on high, but run-time is significantly longer. addtitionally, the costco lantern has a low mode which is much more practical than the rr's strobe mode. the costco lanterns are smaller and you get 2 for the price of one rr, what's not to like? oh yeah, the only advantage of the rr is the switch which is located on top of the lantern, very easy to locate. the costco switch is mounted on the side, so you have to keep spinning the lantern around while you're feeling for the button.

neither of these lanterns will light up a room - for instance, you couldn't read with the amount of light these put out. but they do make for good emergency lights with long runtimes. and a little bit of of plastic wrap around the cylinder will diffuse the light nicely. i'm keeping mine.

-jim

Flashaholic*

Guys I had bought a pair from Costco way back when but now girlfriend has confisticated second one. I agree light output is on the harsh side but I liked the size, ruggedness and two stage switch. What might be a suitable replacement with possibly smoother light output.

EDIT: I did a search on the Costco lanterns and came across this thread but I wonder if it would be better suited in the lantern thread.
    Last edited by geepondy; 12-28-2007 at 07:07 PM.
    I live in a van down by the river

...moved to the lantern thread...

If you want to take the time, consider inserting a "tube" of opaque milk jug material inside for a diffuser. Works GREAT!

...or you could use some Glad "Press~n~Seal" around the globe.
    -"Must control self"-

Flashaholic*

I should have said the first one was gone too which was why I was looking for a replacement. Well I sucked it up and went to Target and purchased the RiverRock K2 version. Indeed this is much better then the Costco offerings although at $25, I wonder if better buys might be had from the DX extreme offerings or others. I also wish I could disable the green find me LED as it will be a bedside emergency lantern
    I live in a van down by the river