Costco 4AA LED Mini Lanterns

sotyakr

Enlightened
Was at Costco yesterday and see that they have another (presumably) seasonal 2 - light pack. This time it's a pair of LED lanterns for $20 similar to the OSRAM, Sylvania, Essential Gear, River Rock, etc. They have fold-out "feet" like the OSRAM family. Didn't really look too hard at them otherwise. Anyone else seen these and have a clue to their heritage?

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New(?) Costco LED lanterns

sotyakr said:
Was at Costco yesterday and see that they have another (presumably) seasonal 2 - light pack. This time it's a pair of LED lanterns for $20 similar to the OSRAM, Sylvania, Essential Gear, River Rock, etc. They have fold-out "feet" like the OSRAM family. Didn't really look too hard at them otherwise. Anyone else seen these and have a clue to their heritage?

Well I have been trying to decide between 4 different ones I see out there that all look the same, except that some have more clear bulbs or pheres while the others are more frosted.
Plus some have 1 LED for low light and 4 for more, while "I think" the others do 2 stage lighting all with one LED.

I'm not sure which one Costco's is, nor am I sure which one is the brightest.

http://store.sylvania.com/show_item.cfm?i=72035

http://www.essentialgear.com/store....=13000&uid=2814

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/osr...led_lantern.htm

And last but not least:
http://www.theledlight.com/glorb_lantern.html

StuGatz

Enlightened

I bought several packages the other day. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138757

Didn't know there were other (and previous) versions or variations of this light but the above observation is correct. The Costco version has a clear interior dome, a total of four LEDs with one LED for the low setting and four LEDs for the high setting.

The Costco version packaging indicates that it was manufactured in China with Costco labeling on the package. However, there is no information about light measurments, levels, or runtime.

Stuart

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

These might be like the ones I spotted in Target at $20/3 pack. Think I'll go back for a closer look.

Geoff

Nell

Enlightened

Not very impressed with the set I picked up. Looks and feels exactly like the Osrams, but the light quality is poor at best. Even the River Rock lanterns were better with output. The switch is also reversed compared with my Osram. Low, then high. Reverse of the Osrams.
Wern't the Osrams using a special Dragon led? The Costco special uses 5mm leds and the beam is not controlled very well at all.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I haven't educated myself on whats the deal about the Golden Dragon LED yet, but I'm gathering that inspite if the frosted phere, it may be the brightest and best quality LED?

This one looks just like it too, but I don't know if it is.

But then what still has me intriged is this one.... it also looks and is priced the same as the osram, yet has the clear phere.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Went back to check out the Target lanterns a little closer. They have 4 LEDs with 1 or 4 LED power levels. I don't think they had the little fold out feet. Probably not too bright, but they'd likely run forever at low power. Think I'll hold off for a price reduction. Maybe.

Geoff

BVH

Flashaholic

Side by side, I would say the Osram Golden Dragon LED itself is about the same brightness as the RiverRock however, because its covered with a frosted sphere and because it is probably 1000K lower in color temp, it appears just a bit less bright than the RR. Come on! Get them both, don't go for the dim knock-offs.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tell ya what folks. I have a River Rock lantern. If people want to send me examples of the other types I would be happy to do another of my "Real World Reviews" on just LED lanterns! I started a project request thread here

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast

BVH said:
Side by side, I would say the Osram Golden Dragon LED itself is about the same brightness as the RiverRock however, because its covered with a frosted sphere and because it is probably 1000K lower in color temp, it appears just a bit less bright than the RR. Come on! Get them both, don't go for the dim knock-offs.

Thanks BVH.. I have appreciated your comments and input.

I need to educate myself a tad more on whats the big deal with a dragon LED.... so far, I see its brighter and better than the single LED's, but I don't know about the othery types of leds.

sotyakr

Enlightened

Thanks for the info! Didn't realize the Costco "Emergency" lantern is of the 4 (5mm) LED variety. I'm sure it's fine for "emergencies", but I've got a River Rock already so I'll just save my money.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone know where you can buy the river rock lantern?
I can't find it on targets page?

BVH

Flashaholic

I could not find one single hit on the WEB when I was looking for them. You just have to go to Target and if you're lucky, they'll have one/some in stock. The day I bought 6, I had to go to 4 Targets.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast

BVH said:
I could not find one single hit on the WEB when I was looking for them. You just have to go to Target and if you're lucky, they'll have one/some in stock. The day I bought 6, I had to go to 4 Targets.

My only target is about 40 min away... humm... must be an instore item not on thier web page.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED lantern 2-pack at Costco

dsc03349smalliu0.jpg

dsc03350smallkl7.jpg

dsc03345smallam8.jpg

dsc03347smallch5.jpg

curtis22

Enlightened

"Energy efficient LED lights last for over 100,000 hours of use".

That is *really* energy efficient.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened

Similar but not identical. The Costco ones use a clear dome and multiple 5mm leds, while the Osram Golden Dragon uses a frosted dome and single "Golden Dragon" led, some sort of luxeon or clone. I have the Osram, did not try the Costco one.

BVH

Flashaholic

I pass them up 2 or three times a week. My understanding is they are disappointing with their multiple LED's as compared to the genuine Golden Dragon single LED. It appears to be the exact body thought but with the clear dome.