• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 18650 cell Giveaway!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before you get excited these cells are dead. I can't use all these batteries. I have 8 of these cells to give away. I'm keeping one for myself to play with. I pulled them from a dead laptop battery. They measure 4.08v to 4.22v open voltage but drop quickly under the slightest load. When shorted they measure 6 amps then drop quickly to milliamps.

They can run a single 3mm or 5mm LED for days but can't drive an incan bulb or Luxeon for more than 10 seconds before dimming. I'm driving a single 5mm led in the light in the picture. It's been on for 3 days now! They might power a working light but I'm giving these away with purpose of helping the modders here on CPF.

18650deadcellfx0.jpg

Just PM me with your address and send $2 to cover shipping to Don't expect them before Christmas.

Last edited:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of these use 18560 indeed. Observe caution as not to over-discharge these cells. These cells are unprotected, since the protection was in the pack itself, aloing with the laptop charging circuit.

Cheers !

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tore up a really old battery pack and measured the cells. One comes in at 2.48v, the rest are at 0. A couple flash a "-" zero before going back to plain zero. Are they salvageable? Can I toss them onto my DSD charger without fear of them blowing up?

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your DSD should "charge" them and stop without over-charging them.

Just be shure how you use them, as not to over discharge...

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I'm gonna toss a pair in the charger and go to sleep. :) I figure they'll be fully charged in about 8 hours.

BTW, it won't fit in my L4 or E2E bodies, both with flat sides. I thought it was suppose to fit in those. :thinking:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what's the worst that could happen with these spent cells overdischarging? Could they explode? They don't even get warm if you short them out.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It happens when you try to test cells, the minus "-" just flashes on and then back off... Nothing major... Maybe it's time to get a Fluke :)

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 18650 cell Giveaway! explosion pics added

One of my best charger has a worst feature which is the first 3 minute high charge without any monitoring curcuit. Twice I didn't check the voltage of the pack before charging, they exploded and almost burn down my living room. The smell of the gas stayed for weeks. I don't think over discharging will cause them to explode though.

Note when overcharged, the wafer lithium will plump up and burst in flame but the cylidrical ones will actually explode and even fly away from the pack. The flame lasted at least a couple minutes and hot enough to melt all the metal shell!

This is about 30 minutes after the kaboom!!
PICT0887Large.jpg

No explanation needed here:

PICT0904Medium.jpg

PICT0899Large.jpg

carbine15 said:
So what's the worst that could happen with these spent

cells overdischarging? Could they explode? They don't even get warm if you short them out.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted in this thread before, but I will do so again, not to trash this thread, but for my concern and the safety of fellow CPF members.

The reason I mentioned over-discharge, is because I had a 2-cell light which I left on in my room and I fell asleep. When I woke the next day, I did not notice anything until later that evening when I wanted to use the light and it was dead.... The reflector has some "black dust" in it.... When I opened the light, it was obvious. 1 cell discharged sooner then the other, and so the other was thus "charging" the first and weaker cell. It had "vented", but only to a certain degree, as the light it was it was all metal, and no seals/o-rings were broken, nor was the lens cracked. It would have a different outcome if the light had not resisted and had given the cell the chance to explode, like it did in the example illustrated below. I think not enough oxygen to burn, an thus the "flame" died while protected in the torch...
IN ANY CASE: Be careful with Lithium and it's fumes !! Tanasit, when did this accident accur and you must sanitize the area. Lithium in it's smalles dose is deadly.
Use only protected cells if you know how to use them. If used in packs, connect to a protection circuit to protect against over-charge and -discharge...

Best regards folks !

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was almost 2 years ago. Lucky me I have a gas mask handy and I immediately put out the fire and opened all windows as well as the sky light and left the place for half a day. The fume was so strong and burned my eyes for days. I later disinfected the area and bought a fire proof safe to store all my lipo pack. Also while charging, I put the pack in a Pyrex bottle with air tight lid. The 2 wires run through a thick rubber o-ring around the lid. I never charge them and left home ever.

The 2 cell pack story with one charged the over discharged one is excellent example and should be studies further to see if the voltage in one cell is enough to overcharge the other. I think so especially when the other cell is damaged or partially defective. I have many rectangular packs that plump up but continued to use them a while until they seem to drain real fast then disposed off with all wires cut off tape their ends and put in proper container to drop off at Pep Boys battery waste.

bombelman said:
I've posted in this thread before, but I will do so again, not to trash this thread, but for my concern and the safety of fellow CPF members.

The reason I mentioned over-discharge, is because I had a 2-cell light which I left on in my room and I fell asleep. When I woke the next day, I did not notice anything until later that evening when I wanted to use the light and it was dead.... The reflector has some "black dust" in it.... When I opened the light, it was obvious. 1 cell discharged sooner then the other, and so the other was thus "charging" the first and weaker cell. It had "vented", but only to a certain degree, as the light it was it was all metal, and no seals/o-rings were broken, nor was the lens cracked. It would have a different outcome if the light had not resisted and had given the cell the chance to explode, like it did in the example illustrated below. I think not enough oxygen to burn, an thus the "flame" died while protected in the torch...
IN ANY CASE: Be careful with Lithium and it's fumes !! Tanasit, when did this accident accur and you must sanitize the area. Lithium in it's smalles dose is deadly.
Use only protected cells if you know how to use them. If used in packs, connect to a protection circuit to protect against over-charge and -discharge...

Best regards folks !

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
London Lad said:
If they are at 0 volts then they have had it. The 2.48 one may come back ok.

You were right. None of the 0 volt batteries were recognized by the DSD charger. :( The 2.48v one is back up to 4.10 though. :) The DSD can't seem to get it up to 4.20. :shrug:

Anybody know why it won't fit my E2E body? Was I thinking of a different cell that was suppose to fit a flat sides E2E?