Cree host ?

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would be a better host,my Q3 with flupic or Ultrafire with flupic? I guess it come down to which reflector has a better ratio? Both are pretty deep,the Q3 is more textured. My goal is to get as smooth a beam as possible with nice bright spill.I am willing to give up throw.

Thanks,

Merry xmas to all!

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
I do not have the ultrafire but I do have the Q3. I have modded one with the Cree and I can assure you that with proper sanding of the reflector to get the Cree to rest comfortably within the Q3 reflector, you will get as smooth a beam as you can possibly get.

Thow is still fantastic when running the light at 600mA. I use 40mA and 250mA and find them useful enough with good runtime. One point to note though, I use it mainly indoors so when using it outdoors you may find it as useful as i do.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have any pic/details or post,Id love to see beamshots !How do you knowwhat mA = flupic level(1-15) Are you using the burst feature? I believe thats 1000mA.

NotEnoughLight said:
I do not have the ultrafire but I do have the Q3. I have modded one with the Cree and I can assure you that with proper sanding of the reflector to get the Cree to rest comfortably within the Q3 reflector, you will get as smooth a beam as you can possibly get.

Thow is still fantastic when running the light at 600mA. I use 40mA and 250mA and find them useful enough with good runtime. One point to note though, I use it mainly indoors so when using it outdoors you may find it as useful as i do.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reflector wise, I know that milkyspit is using Q3 reflectors for his HDS/Cree upgrades (with stunning results).

Maybe a PM to him would yield some more info.

CFU

FirstDsent

Enlightened
With either light, you will have to raise the height of the heat sink because you will be removing stock from the bottom of the reflector. Also, the total height of the emitter base is much lower than the Luxeon. If you are using a cree mounted on an MCPCB, you will have to add some to the heat sink height. If you are mounting it directly to the heat sink, you may have to add as much as 1/4" to the heat sink.

I know that the QIII is easy to work with, and has an excellent reflector. It would be my choice, but I don't know how the UltraFire is configured.

Bernie

Bernie