Modified a L1T to run with 3xAAA, but wary low output??

whc

Enlightened
Today i played around with some old flashlight that i am not using anymore. It runs on 3xAAA batteries, so thought i would be fun to modify it to work with my L1T's head, so i could try it with 3.6v battery power, a good way to see if it is worth spending money on some 3.7v lithium battery.

I must say that i was not pleased with the output beam power that came from the light, i was expecting some thing like 3x the beam power than normal with only one 1.2v. But the beam was maybe only a half times brighter, not really impressive, my 2xAA flashlight from Nuwai was much brighter, and it runs on Luxeon III 3watt LED also.

I don't know if my flashlight is working right, seams to me that some thing must be wrong, or is it just me that expect to much from this small flashlight?

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
whc said:

I run my L2T on unprotected 3.6v RCR123's on occasion. It is noticeably brighter, but you certainly shouldn't expect it to be three times brighter than when run on 1.2v due to the fairly robust regulation circuit in these lights. In other words, 1.2v supplied to the circuit does not equal 1.2v output. The light gets hot quick and low mode is basically non-existant. The L1T body has more mass than the CR123 body though, so heat shouldn't be as much of an issue. I would recommend that, if you decide to use Li-Ions in it, that you use protected cells as there is a chance for over-discharging--especially in low mode.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
And one 3,7V LiIon is much more powerful than 3xAAA Alkys due to the less internal resistance and the flater discharge curve. I would forget the 3xAAA solution. Try 1xprotected 14500 cell.:)

Best regards

____
Tom