P1D CE Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd1979

Newly Enlightened
I just received a P1D CE for Christmas and the head tilts left and right, turning on the light and cycling through the stages. Has anyone else had this problem? Do I have a bad one? The search functions dies due to the numerous P1D CE posts

Thanks

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there an O-ring in place around the head and a spring in the tail? Some have reported a slightly loose head but probably not to the extent you are describing. Mine feel a bit loose when installing a battery but when I run them in further there doesn't seem to be much if any play. I normally leave my lights backed off 3/4 turn from full on position. If you only back them off an 1/8 or so you might find enough play to get the light to flick on.

flame2000

Enlightened
Maybe you could post a pic. A pic speaks a thousand words. :)
Has it anything to do with the loose threads issues reported on P1D CE?

nd1979

Newly Enlightened
You are probably right about the loose threads. It is real easy to turn. Of course, I am at work while we speak and have the light at home. There is an oring in place and spring in the tail. I think that flame2000 may be right. The loose threads may be the problem. It was purchased at 4 sevens so perhaps I can switch out for one with snug threads.

Thanks

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those cursed Pidcys too (black).

The only way to stop it is cover the threads (not the o-ring) with a half dozen turns of teflon tape. Make sure you trim the excess tape off before the printed circuit board.

LightScene

Enlightened
Whoever is selling these imperfect P1D-CE's is not doing his job. This problem of sloppy threads and other imperfections should be handled between the dealer and his supplier. Especially on Candlepower Forums the end user should never receive such disappointing junk.

Please don't settle for make-shift solutions like wrapping your threads with 6 loops of teflon tape. Demand a quality product or get your money back. Put pressure on the dealer to do his job properly.

nd1979

Newly Enlightened
You are correct. I talked to 4 sevens and he said that it wasn't a problem whatsoever. Just send it in and it will be replaced. I must have received one of the early runs. (It was ordered within hours the first post in November). I had a problem with the packaging on another Fenix that our USPS totally crushed. I was giving the l1T as a gift to my Dad and 4 sevens came to the rescue. He sent a new package with extra stuff, priority mail and at no cost! I was able to then send it out to my Dad in time for Christmas. That is what I call customer service and 4 sevens does it well.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your suggestions. Loose threads are a recipe for eventual failure in any application. I will be sending back mine.

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
LightScene said:
Whoever is selling these imperfect P1D-CE's is not doing his job. This problem of sloppy threads and other imperfections should be handled between the dealer and his supplier. Especially on Candlepower Forums the end user should never receive such disappointing junk.

Please don't settle for make-shift solutions like wrapping your threads with 6 loops of teflon tape. Demand a quality product or get your money back. Put pressure on the dealer to do his job properly.

ACK. But I don't think that the sellers are the problem. The problem is the manufacturer. If a twisty-type switch is used, the tolerances from the thread has to be tight.

LightScene

Enlightened
naturelle said:
But I don't think that the sellers are the problem. The problem is the manufacturer.
The seller is the one who deals with the manufacturer. He needs to shelter the customer from defective products.
In this case, I understand that the seller doesn't want to disappoint his customers who are very eager to get the new P1D-CE. But it if he ships defective products to his customers it hurts everybody involved more than if he ships them back to the manufacturer.
For instance, I would like to buy a P1D-CE myself, but I'm reluctant to get involved because of the quality issues. I'm sure other people feel the same way.
I saw this same thing happen with ARC flashlights. They had a great reputation for quality and customer service, but they started shipping mismatched, non-uniform parts and defective lights. They didn't last long after that.

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Yes. I refund my P1D-CE for these two reasons:
Minor reason were the rings and the loosen threads (and my dealer sent me two, because the first one had a defective LED), but major reason for me was that it doesn't work with RCR123 with 3,7V. To use it with rechargeables I have to buy new batteries, an extra charger, and all that for one lampe which is only marginal brighter than my Jetbeam Mk-2 with 14500 from AW.
If I would have no light the P1D-CE would be a good choice, but I know how good a Jet is - and a Jet is "only" a Lux-III light ;)

In real life the advantage in brightness of the Fenix is barely visible - they don't get all from the Cree what would be possible.

It's better to wait for the next one...:naughty:

So big :goodjob: for my dealer ;)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
naturelle,

I find the P1D-CE is plenty bright, but with a wider spot than most. This means that the throw distance may not be as awesome as one hoped. But for medium distances the brightness and width of beam is very useful. The Cree spill is also much more useful than a luxeon. The lumens are there, they just aren't concentrated on a spot.

YMMV.

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
naturelle said:
Minor reason were the rings and the loosen threads (and my dealer sent me two, because the first one had a defective LED), but major reason for me was that it doesn't work with RCR123 with 3,7V. To use it with rechargeables I have to buy new batteries, an extra charger, and all that for one lampe which is only marginal brighter than my Jetbeam Mk-2 with 14500 from AW.
If I would have no light the P1D-CE would be a good choice, but I know how good a Jet is - and a Jet is "only" a Lux-III light ;)

In real life the advantage in brightness of the Fenix is barely visible - they don't get all from the Cree what would be possible.

Doesn't work the 3.7v? All the review indicate otherwise!

JohnF

Enlightened
The treads on the one I received today seem a bit loose until the body engages the O ring, then all is fine. I would expect more precise machining from, say, HDS (I have 2), but for the price, brightness, size, and features this thing is great.

John F

coppertrail

Enlightened
Has anyone heard as to whether the thread problem is being addressed with the new lights that are in production?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
naturelle said:

Yeah Lumileds might just push out its new LEDs and hopefully it'll be directly swappable with the old ones, with the same beam dispersion pattern and die size. That'll save a lot of headache.

In the meantime, Lux lights may pale to the new Cree (which I am seriously itching to get), but they actually suffice (more than so in most cases) for real world use as it is.

It might be rewarding to actually wait and see cuz the promises of LED improvement in 2007 (which is soon!) look good.

(I guess I'll just get a couple of cheap Cree lights if I really can't wait...haha... still waiting for a production single AA light!)

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone has an issue with the threads, I would be happy to check it out for you :)
If it's problematic, I'll be happy to replace your unit. I haven't even gotten much
time to play around with mine - I've been so busy shipping, responding to emails and
phone calls :)

Last edited:

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

EngrPaul said:
I find the P1D-CE is plenty bright, but with a wider spot than most. This means that the throw distance may not be as awesome as one hoped. But for medium distances the brightness and width of beam is very useful. The Cree spill is also much more useful than a luxeon. The lumens are there, they just aren't concentrated on a spot.

Yes, I agree with you. But in my opinion even outside on medium distances I do not notice this "more" at the spill. Inside, on the floor or in the cellar (both wall to wall about 7m) the brighter spill is noticeable, of course (but than the dirty beam with rings is also noticable and distracting). But outside, for example in a dark city-forest, the difference between my Jet and the Fenix is negligible, even at distances of about 7m or more.
I cannot really describe it, but I hoped for more. Protruding disadvantage is the not-functionality with 3,7V rechargeables.

At a comparable price I've got more usability with the Jet.

All above is naturally my personal opinion, and I am owner of an outstandig price-worth-light as the Jetbeam Jet-1 Mk-2. For newbies this maybe other, but I estimated more...

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
timcodes said:
Doesn't work the 3.7v? All the review indicate otherwise!

You're right, the reviews say that the P1D-CE is working with 3,7V RCR. But they say also that the different levels are all on same brightness. And with this behaviour the light is useless for owner of 3,7V RCRs.
I do not need a flashlight with three levels all on same brightness. I've tested it with a 3,7V protected RCR outside: about a few minutes before end you can notice small differences. Only a few minutes at the end of battery-life!

You need new 3V RCRs, a special 3V-charger, and all that only for one light... Bummer!

Status
Not open for further replies.