So where are the Cree based 5mm LEDs?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh heh. That would be awesome huh? I'd like to find a super bright 5mm LED for my E1e that had more of a side emitting beam pattern to take good use of the reflector. I would be crazy to have a Cree based 5mm LED in one huh?

I always wondered if there was a way to mount a tiny little "mirror" in front of a 5mm led to bounce the light out against the reflector... hmmm now my brain is smoking...

Nereus

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
I always wondered if there was a way to mount a tiny little "mirror" in front of a 5mm led to bounce the light out against the reflector... hmmm now my brain is smoking...
You get a side emitting beam pattern by cutting down the dome of a 5mm led and polishing it, see for example this product: http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_52_82&products_id=754

It works nicely with reflectors, I have made many nice 2aa mag mods using this led with mcR20 reflector.

-N

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nereus

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Sweet! Think that can handle being run off a primary CR123?
No problem: a few minutes ago I took a half used primary cr123 and connected it to a smjled. It was running ok at 40 mA so it was slightly underdriven. You should see higher current with a fresh cell.

-N

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just ordered one. I wonder what the runtime will be with that sucker! I have an MN03 lamp that I will sacrifice and mount the SMJLED on. Just gotta figure out the right height for it. Any tips? I was thinking of using my batterystation 3.6v 900mah RCR123s' with it, but I'm concerned it may be too much for it. Is it?

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium Ion rechargables are considered too much voltage for the SMJLED. I have one in a E1e, not too impressive, but I guess it just all depends on what your intended use might be.

schiesz

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, li-ion voltage fluctuates too much for the little led. A power led (luxeon,etc) can take it since they are heatsinked, but small ones cant and degrade fast. Plus the SMJLED has a super low Vf, for DD off of 2xAA. So go DD with a primary.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
schiesz said:
Lithium Ion rechargables are considered too much voltage for the SMJLED. I have one in a E1e, not too impressive, but I guess it just all depends on what your intended use might be.

schiesz

You have the 4-die 15 lumen version in an E1e? That should put out around the same as a regular E1e which is also rated at 15 lumens. How would you compare the two?