SF U2 Warranty

tristis

Newly Enlightened
I bought my son an U2 of the boards here and sent it plus my own U2 to Grnamin for upgrading. He painted my son's light and replaced the LED with a WWOS. The only problem was U2s are tough to open and when he used a heat gun to loosen the Locktite it melted the reflector and messed up the way the selector ring worked. Since this was my son's main holiday gift I had to scramble but I picked up a used U2 on the sale boards here. Turned out to be a good deal because it solved my gift problem and it was old enough that it had body with the black tube and not the small ID that won't take a 18650. Bottom line is Greg upgraded both the lights for free and my original had an X bin LED so we have two U2s that take 18650s with great beams and no donuts.

Greg didn't charge me a cent and he sent back the U2 that was damaged. Well, I changed the damaged head onto the body that had the tube insert and called SF to get a RMA. I talked to the customer service rep and he told me that they were way backed up because of all their military orders and I would have to wait at least 4 months for a replacement. I was cool with that but I asked that they send back the original body after fixing the head unit.

Day after Christmas it arrived. Unbelievable! Same body and a brand new head. Nice white beam but the standard donut hole. I'm in the process of pulling the plastic tube and then (thanks to Greg) trying to open the bezel and shim the reflector to remove the donut. Now, my dilemma is what to do, sell or keep it as a back up. I just hate parting with toys but someone might get a really nice light. Greg, thanks again.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow i caant belive they actualy replaced it, most times they wont replace somthing that has been opend or worked on by people other than surefire themselves.

oh well i geuss that just shows why surefire is number one in illumination tools

jonlerd

Newly Enlightened
so you returned a light with a melted reflector and they took it back? what did you tell the customer service? that you were just using it and the relfector melted? more info pleaase!