Edison LED news (like Seoul P4) & Luxeon III

*Retired*
Edison Edixeon EDEW-KLC8

Well, unfortunately, the slug is also anode, or positive, so it will need to be mounted with a method that isolates from the flashlight body just like the Seoul Semiconductor P4. Warning, both are backwards from the Luxeon III, if you do not isolate it, you very likely will blow up your LED, and possibly converter.

Both the Edison Edixeon and the Seoul P4 have the internal die height different than the Luxeon III, so you will need to shim it up and grind off a portion of the reflector (0.03" to 0.05"), or to grind the reflector, and set the reflector further back in the flashlight.

There are a number of further differences listed below.

Height is also short like the Seoul P4:
Luxeon III 5.86 mm (0.230708")
Seoul Semiconductor P4: 5.08 mm (0.1999994")
Edison Edixeon 5.1 mm (0.2007868")

Dome diameter:
Luxeon III 5.8 mm (0.2283458") (I measure 5.43mm)
Seoul Semiconductor P4: 5.6 mm (0.2204718")
Edison Edixeon 5.4 mm (0.2125978")

Dome height above body:
Luxeon III 2.9 mm to 3.39 mm (0.1141729" to 0.1334642")
Seoul Semiconductor P4: 2.7 mm (0.1062989")
Edison Edixeon 2.5 mm (0.0984249")

Slug standoff bottom diameter:
Luxeon III 5.25 mm (0.2283458") (I measure 5.43mm)
Seoul Semiconductor P4: 6.0 mm (0.1968498")
Edison Edixeon unknown

Slug standoff bottom height:
Luxeon III 0.25 mm (0.00984249") (I measure 5.43mm)
Seoul Semiconductor P4 unknown
Edison Edixeon 0.2mm (0.007873992")

Outside body flats (lead area):
Luxeon III 6 mm (0.2362198") (I measure 5.43mm)
Seoul Semiconductor P4 7.4 mm (0.2913377")
Edison Edixeon 7.2mm (0.2834637")

Datasheet typical lumens:
Luxeon III 65 lumens @ 700 mA & 25C internal die temp
Seoul Semiconductor P4 85 lumens @ 350 mA & 25C ambient
Edison Edixeon 85 lumens @ 350 mA & 25C internal die temp
Edison Edixeon 160 lumens @ 700 mA & 25C internal die temp
Note Edison Edixeon Warm White 70 lumens @ 350 mA 25C internal die temp

Forward Voltage:
Luxeon III 3.03V - 4.47V @ 700mA
Seoul Semiconductor P4 3.0 V - 3.8 V @ 350 mA
Edison Edixeon 2.8V - 3.7V @ 350 mA
Edison Edixeon 3.1V - 4.0V @ 700 mA

Thermal resistance from internal die to slug case:
Luxeon III 13 C/W
Seoul Semiconductor P4 6.9 C/W
Edison Edixeon 12 C/W

Maximum die temperature:
Luxeon III 135 C
Seoul Semiconductor P4 145 C
Edison Edixeon 150 C

Lens exterior:
Luxeon III hard
Seoul Semiconductor P4 soft silicone (gummy bear like Luxeon K4)
Edison Edixeon unknown at this time

Maximum Operating Temperature:
Luxeon III not specified
Seoul Semiconductor P4 -30 C to +85 C
Edison Edixeon -30 C to +110C

Color Rendering Index:
Luxeon III 70
Seoul P4 70
Edison Edixeon 74

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info.

What is it with the reverse polarity of the slug? and the die height? Why can't they make it like the luxeon? are the dimensions for the luxeon patented or something?

AlexGT

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
the cree die gets positive connection from the bottom. Since SSC and EO use metal slugs instead of putting it on ceramic, the slug becomes postive too.

Much like how luxeon reds get their postive from the bottom, and are mounted right on the slug.

The cree xre isn't because ceramic is insulative. The die sits on some metal with a bond wire going to it, and below that it's mounted to the ceramic.

Its just how the die is setup. Perhaps having the negative on top you get more lumens?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
There are a number of further differences listed below.

Very nice tabulation of known data. I'm sure that many here will appreciate and benefit from your efforts on this one. :goodjob:

Brum

Newly Enlightened
I have 4 on their way for a week now. A got them at a groupbuy from a fellow countryman who lives in HK.
I´ve already built the housing where two of the four LED are going to reside in. A 2xEdison KLC-8 flood MTB light for on the bars. I´ll post some pics and comparision shots with the XR-E when they come in.

As newbie mentioned, the KLC-8 does have its negatives (like the P4). I´m using a anodized strip of aluminium to overcome the slug polarity (multiple emitters in series on one piece of alu), and I´m using Edisons own optics, so that wont be a problem either.

Last edited:

Sable

Enlightened
The pictures I've seen of the new Edison LED seem to show a clear, Luxeon/XR-E-like dome. I'm still not sold on the P4's Gumby-inspired optical solution, as silly as that may be.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sable said:
The pictures I've seen of the new Edison LED seem to show a clear, Luxeon/XR-E-like dome. I'm still not sold on the P4's Gumby-inspired optical solution, as silly as that may be.

The pictures of the dome doesn't speak much when the SSC dome is fresh out of the pack it looks exactly like the lux dome but when dust settles it's quite apparent.

chris_m

Enlightened
Some peculiar info there - they claim typical 85lm at 350mA and 160lm at 700mA, yet these figures don't match up with the flux/current graph on the datasheet, where we see the typical ~60% more flux for double the current (hard to work out exactly, given the 1.0 for relative intensity seems to be at about 400mA!)

Meanwhile the binning appears to use different part numbers for 350mA and 700mA operation (though no mention of a 350mA part), and different bins for each current level. All extremely confusing info!

yekim

Enlightened
IS it possible to just "go Inova" on some of these lights and reverse the battery direction. I could see it working on resistored lights pretty easy. Seems like it would be much simpler than trying to isolate and get good thermoconductivity.

NetKidz

Enlightened
I got mine days ago but haven't tried it yet, since my power supply went bad.

I didn't open my SSC and couldn't compare it with P4. I opened one Edixeon and touched it, it felt like Luxeon. I put it for about two days and seemed not collect much dust. I took the photo when I opened one. My DC is too old and couldn't take nice micro photos. :ohgeez: There's a thin ring(?) around the dome bottom.

Edixeon01.jpg

I don't know if NewBie is interested in testing this, I could forward one for free. :) But I don't know which bin group it is. I asked the dealer and they said they don't know.... :awman:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newbie where are you!? I thought he had samples on his way to him.
I'm waiting for your testing/thoughts of these Newbie! :)

Netkidz, wow look at how they globbed the phosphor on there! I wonder what the beam will be like. Have you fired it up and tried it with some reflectors yet?

Also notice the 6 bond wires!!

*Retired*
I'm waiting for mine to show up right now.

I see six bond wires in your photo, do you happen to know the exact part number of the one they sent you?

I could see how two of the bond wires could be for the ESD diode, two for the negative die side, and two to connect up the positive.

Seoul only uses one bond wire for the positive, it will be interesting to see how the voltage drop fairs in these, if this one you have is in fact the new Edixeon.

NetKidz

Enlightened
The part number should be EDEW-KLC8, but I don't know which bin group. I took a photo using my DMM's connectivity test, the die look the same as XR-E. (Sorry again for the poor photo)

Edixeon02.jpg

I don't have some reference reflectors to test with, all I have are cheap plastic reflectors. I'll try to take some beam shot if I fix my adjustable power supply this weekend. :whistle:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
:popcorn: Hopefully Jar gets these in his hands soon. I want to see how the stack up against the P4..