My New ROP - 60 min run, 3" head & all chrome

missionaryman

Enlightened
Been working on this one for a while now, waiting for the batteries to arrive and the charger from Alin because once the batteries got here and I shrink wrapped them into a pack they went flat after 5 minutes of use :mad: I was told they were charged before leaving.

It's a 1970's Wizard 5D in chrome with a 4mm glass lens and a 3" silver plated solid metal reflector - I think it's tin. I have lined the inside of the tube with cardboard to fit the 6 x 4500mah Aero C's in nice N snug.

That big, well designed reflector helps it to out throw my 2C LE with FM 2" Deep reflector. The beam is slightly yellower because the silver doesn't polish as well as the FM reflector, however it does throw a noticeable amount more light at 100m.

Here are the pics - beam shot is in daylight with the flash on!

PhotoLibrary-250.jpg

PhotoLibrary-249.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

Thanks For looking - by the way, cost:
Host $12
batteries $27
Bulbs $9
Charger $25

oregon

Enlightened
The beamshot looks like a double exposure: a pic of the wall and a picture of the sun!

What bulb(s) are you using?

Is the modification reversible?

All the best,

oregon

oregon

Enlightened
missionaryman said:
I just shrink wrapped them into a stick for easier charging.

What technique do you use to shrink wrap the batteries?

Do you simply use electical wire shrink wrap? I have never see DIY shrink wrap that large.

All the best,

oregon

missionaryman

Enlightened
the battery store supplied me a length of shrink wrap to fit the C cells and I used a hair dryer - they have shrink wrap that will cover D cells as well which they use on the magcharger sticks

missionaryman

Enlightened
So I was convinced that this light out threw the 2C LE with FM 2" Deep reflector because there was more defined light on the target at 100m. To prove this to myself I went out last night and took some beamshots at a target 100m away, here are the results:

First the Wizard at 15m - fairly concentrated spot with less side spill

WizROP.jpg

Now the 2C - More spill and more diffused beam
2CLEFM.jpg

Wizrd at 100m:
Wiz100m.jpg

2C at 100m - look at that spill beam!
2CLEFM100m.jpg

Close up of Wizard:
Wiz100mZoom.jpg

Close up of 2C:
2CLEFM100mZoom.jpg

So the FM 2" Deep reflector is throwing more light on the subject at 100m - only evident in the close up. I think the reason why it looked the other way around is because the Wizard has far less spill and the light is more direct on the subject. I think this is actually better for long range illumination as it helps you ignore the foreground and concentrate on the subject.

This is one of my favourite lights - definately a keeper, the FM 2" Deep reflector is an absolute wonder.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah the FM 2" reflector is owner...

i'm looking forward to my Mag 85 HAIII FM 2" w/ li-ion 4500mah pack :D

bring it home to daddy MM!