• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: Custom 10 cell Nimh pack for 3D mag

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I have a custom made 10 cell Nimh pack that fits perfectly in a stock 3D mag. This pack is made from 10 2/3A IB1400 cells welded (not soldered) in series with copper bus bars, purchased from cheapbatterypacks dot com. Extra long bus bars were welded to each end and then bent around to make contact with the springs of the flashlight. The pack was then covered in shrink wrap to prevent shorting of the cells, only the bars at either end are exposed to make electrical contact (all done by CBP).

This pack was purchased by me for a hot driver 1185, but I have since decided to use the hot driver to make a 4D Li-ion 100W beast. With this pack you could use a hot driver to run an 1185 for up to 1400 bulb lumens!

Here is a quote from AWR about this pack:

the IB1400 will get you 1.2V out to nearly 800mAH..

the math works out to 11.50V for 1000L which is a really nice place to stop.. still has 5.7hr bulb life so you'll get 10-20 cycles per lamp if the uber soft start does its job..

A normal Mag85 outputs 750 Lumen.. mine are 880.. so 1000L is the bombbigity!

back to the runtime... the hotdriver shuts off at 93% of vLamp.. so with 11.5V lamp.. that means 10.7v shutdown.. divide by 10 and get 1.07V.. looking at the chart... that works out to about 1275 mAH or 22 minutes!..(that includes the fact that it will run at 3.48A!)..

comparing to a typical mag85 solution.. 9AA.. 26 minutes at 3.36A.. and 800L vs 1000L.. 12.2hr bulb life.. the reality is.. that the cells can't hold 10.9V to get 10.8 to the battery for more than 50% of the runtime so it's not a 'full regulation'..

with the 10-cell pack you invented.. you will have about 1100mAH full regualation.. so.. 1000L for 19 minutes before the light even starts to dim.. since it only dims 25% before shutdown even when the batteries are on their 'last breath'.. we are talking about 750L output.. right at shutdown.. and that's as bright as a normal mag85 is at 1 minute!

I paid $42 shipped USPS first class for this pack. I charged it up and have kept it charged by topping it off every other week. I have never even used this pack because I am still waiting for my hotdriver. I am only asking $30 shipped because of the custom nature of this pack. This is a great deal for someone looking to make a really bright and really white mag85 or similar!

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

You may send paypal cash to cjmonzykcash at yahoo dot com or PM for other options. Other shipping options also available by request. First to post "I'll take it" gets priority.

Last edited:

Bob_G

Enlightened
Wrong camo breath! :D

Learning how to buy at CPF is a little tricky. I had to learn not to jump on every little thing, but also to jump on something useful even if the light at the end of the path is yet unseen.

Your camo host is waiting patiently for it's destiny to unfold as an IRC host :) This pack is going in an empty quad bore I have from cannibalizing two FM battery holders to make one. The light I did that for came from the quad bore, which is now empty, and it went in what used to be a Mag85, which is now a 5761. Since I've got an 11.1 hotdriver not being used, I figure this will be a nice and interesting stopgap until the D Li-Ion goes through.