5 Cell or 6 Cell

nightstalker101

Enlightened
I have just completed the 2C to 3CR123a Mod and I also converted it to rechargeable with two 17500's. I used a 6 Cell Krypton bulb and I am interested in useing an xenon. Which would be brighter, a 5 Cell Xenon or a 6 Cell Xenon use the two 17500's. How about using 3 CR123a? Thanks in advance.

Nightstalker101

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
A bulb intended for fewer cells will be brighter and whiter than a similar bulb intended for more cells. The problem is that it is easy to instaflash a xenon bulb when overdriving. Some have had success using the 5 cell xenon in your setup, many have not (including me). The 5 cell krypton can be overdriven nicely for you though.

As for CR123s, they will be brighter at first, but not by much and not for long. Rechargeables fare even better in comparison as you use higher current bulbs because CR123s don't hold voltage as well under load at higher currents.

missionaryman

Enlightened
NS101 the 5 cell is a fair bit brighter than the 6 cell xenon in the 2 x LiIon set up and I have been using one for ages with no instaflash.
The 3 x CR123A was very disappointing to me and probably can't be used with the 5 cell bulb. It went dim pretty quickly with both the 6 cell mag bulb and the ROP low which is a bit unsafe.