Foxfury Scout

Thread: Survival Preparedness

Hybrid View

Flashaholic*

Default Survival Preparedness

Between natural calamities, terrorists, and NBC warfare, we need to take stock of our supplies and see if we are prudently prepared for surviving for an extended period. I am talking about at home, not on a hunting expedition or such.

Natural calamities including all events of natural origin and severely restrict travel and the ability to engage in commerce. Thus you won't be able to go to a store and purchase any sort of supplies, let alone do so online.

Terrorist events are the sort that go beyond the 9/11/2001 WTC event.

NBC Warfare is of the Nation-State sort, rather than by terrorists.

Let us set a minimum duration of one month (31 days).

Don't count on being able to recharge batteries for this.

Supplies include food and means to cook, light, heat (if needed), water. Defensive items are not included here, as most people have something to fill this function.

I am mostly prepared. Anyone care to comment??

Default Re: Survival Preparedness

Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
    Don't count on being able to recharge batteries for this.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Charles,

You may be interested in one of these:

It's called the iSun mobile solar charger, if you live in a sunny climate it can be used to run or recharge small electrical items (radios/GPS/mobile phones etc).

Power output (in direct sunlight} is rated at a maximum of 2 watts (has 12v and 6v settings)

An optional battery charger is available which can be attached to the iSun to recharge NiMh or NiCd batteries.

Here's a pic of the "BatPak":

May be worth adding one of these to your disaster preparedness kit.

Flashaholic*

X-ray, thanks for posting that. I don't need it, but some might.

One thing that I have used in the past, when living out of tent and backpack, is use a 6 ounce tuna can to hold a votive candle. (no glass to break) Something to use in a pinch.

I just want people to consider local climate, Geophysical hazards, etcetera, and make some prudent preparations. (just in case)

I remember the Blizzard of 1978 (26-28 JAN 1978). Its effects lasted well past those dates.

Unfortunately, with all that is going on in the world, we can no longer prepare for a couple of weeks.

A strange thought, [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] but why would you want to survive catastrophies like that? What are the long term effects? Is there any fun in living like that?

Maybe I need some more Prozac...

Flashaholic*

Fun? My favorite cartoonist is Bill Mauldin, a guy that proved, among other things, that people can find entertainment in pretty much any circumstance.

I wouldn't discount some sort of a defensive capability, either. A story a friend tells is of a neighbor asking him how prepared he was for Y2K. The reply was just "Oh, if it's bad, I'll just come over to your house. I shoot way better than you do." (The answer to the reply was less than flattering...) It would be nearly impossible for a single individual to defend a home, even with a lot of serious preparation, and a serious issue even for a group. Just a heads up, I don't mean to drag this off track.

Lesse - leaving out defense I have: shelter, water, heat, food, communications, medical, sanitation, travel, plus dealing with whatever issue caused the problem in the first place.

My rule of thumb is to pick the two worst weather situation you may have in your area, prepare for that, and add extras. In Albany, we're looking at serious winter storm, with blackouts, road closings, etc, for a period of weeks as primary; earthquake or localized tornado as secondary. In some places this would be hurricane (a formidable thing!), flooding, or forest fire. So I have gear to survive for a period of time without any heat at all, and have stuff to provide heat for a prolonged period of time without outside support. This, in addition to water supply and filtration, stored food, and a sanitation plan.

Oh yeah, and a bunch of AA cells... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I don't want to discuss defensive items here.

I am just saing that we should be prudently and wisely prepared with an extra month's of supplies to sustain each person in your household. That includes providing light and cooking (if needed).

Looks like your on track, Albany Tom. Work from most likely down.