Unique Titanium
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Coleman 4AA Exponent® Pack-Away®

Default Re: Coleman 4AA Exponent® Pack-Away®

Quote Originally Posted by Nosoman View Post
    Hello everyone. I have a quick question. Can the exponent 4AA pack-away use rechargeable NIMH batteries without problems?

Thanks
    Tom
    I don't have one, but I'm quite sure it would be no problem.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Thanks.

Tom

Flashaholic

Well, I arrived in LA on Friday and both my lanterns were here. Wow! This is the most incredible lantern I've ever owned. The packed away size is amazing. Features are great and the build quality is excellent. I knocked it off a table accidentally and it didn't receive any damage.

I highly recommend this Lantern. The CREE is a perfect match. Yes, there are strong artifacts as Blacklight said there would be, but they should be able to resolve that later on without much trouble. A diffused tube around the center that covers the LED base and conical reflector is my vote. There's about 1/16 clearance right now. A short diffuser tube with 1/32 thick walls should do the trick.

EDIT: I tried affixing diffuser film around the center LED base and conical reflector. I didn't like it and returned the lantern to it's original configuration. Adding a white diffuser around the center has the ill effect of causing glare at any angle. It makes it feel like having a 100 Watt light bulb sitting on a table, blinding you (Just an analogy. Please don't start comparing lumens of a 100 Watt light bulb). This is exactly what I don't like about my Brunton Glorb XB (Golden Dragon). I was wrong about the diffuser tube. In my opinion, Coleman got it right.

As was suggested early on, starting on Low would be a great idea for future versions. Especially as the newer CREE bins become available. Hold to turn off, while not critical would be a nice little nugget to add to the feature list. That way you would not have to double-click to cycle past the strobe mode before turning it off.

Here's pics of the K2 compared with the CREE. I gave the Luxeon K2 version to my buddy. Either one is a great lantern, but I do really like my CREE version. Awesome light, and Coleman is a fantastic company to do business with. They've proven they're still #1 in lanterns.

Coleman Exponent 4AA Pack-Away® Lantern
    CREE version on high, left ~ Luxeon K2 version on high, right

Coleman Exponent 4AA Pack-Away® Lantern

CREE version on low, left ~ Luxeon K2 version on low, right
    Last edited by luminiferous; 07-28-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by luminiferous View Post
    Well, I arrived in LA on Friday and both my lanterns were here. Wow!...
    Looks pretty bright. Have you tried getting in there to add a diffuser? I got the K2 version when they had the Cree advertised. Blacklight promised to replace it with the Cree which he expected a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard from him. Has anyone spoken to him lately?

Phredd

On another thread I read of these new Rebel based stars that hold three rebel emitters in the same space as an old Luxeon star.
    http://www.luxeonstar.com/sub_catego...&link_str=1430

What would it take to get one of these into a Coleman lantern or modded into any other lantern? The brightest version of this three emitter rebel star puts out 480 lumens at 700ma (9.45 Vf).

It would be nice to have a battery based lantern that gets close to the output of the legacy white gas lanterns but even at 480 lumens I'm guessing it's only about a 10th as bright as a Coleman fuel based lantern.

Any plans Blacklight?

Wow, looks really nice! Where did you get it and how much?

luminiferous, I'm not seeing the Cree version of this lantern on the Coleman web site. Could you send me a link or tell me where you bought it?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd View Post
    Looks pretty bright. Have you tried getting in there to add a diffuser? I got the K2 version when they had the Cree advertised. Blacklight promised to replace it with the Cree which he expected a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard from him. Has anyone spoken to him lately?

Phredd
    Nope. It's on my list of things to try. I just got the lantern Friday and arrived back in Toronto late last night. I'll post pics if anything good comes of it.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by adirondackdestroyer View Post
    Wow, looks really nice! Where did you get it and how much?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowBat View Post
    luminiferous, I'm not seeing the Cree version of this lantern on the Coleman web site. Could you send me a link or tell me where you bought it?
    PM sent
    Last edited by luminiferous; 07-25-2007 at 08:20 PM.

Flashaholic

Hey Luminiferous, can you tell me where you got it from and how much? I'm going camping over at Killbear and need a lantern like this.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BayMoe View Post
    Hey Luminiferous, can you tell me where you got it from and how much? I'm going camping over at Killbear and need a lantern like this.
    PM Sent. Unfortunately the lantern is not yet available in Canada. You'll have to order it from a US retailer. According to Blacklight, they should have the CREE version available from US retailers around August 1st. You can order the Luxeon K2 version right now and honestly, there isn't a difference other than the LED. If you're capable of modding and don't care about voiding the 5 year warranty, then that's also an option.

EDIT: Forget modding as an option. I won't go into the details on the public forum, but a specific aspect of the assembly technique makes modding the emitter nearly impossible without destroying the lantern. If you really want the CREE, you'll have to wait and order it from a US retailer. Consider the K2 version, it's still a really nice lantern. Better than any other LED lantern available for shipment to Canada today.

Campmor.com has the K2 version today for $30 US, and offers Canada Post Border Free, but that can be a very expensive lantern by the time your done. I'd call them and make sure you find out what your final cost will be. I ordered product from them and their service was excellent.

If you're looking for an alternative, then I'd suggest the Brunton Glorb XB which is actually the OSRAM Golden Dragon lantern. Available at MEC for $31. It's small (not as small, but small) and lightweight. Brightness is just slightly less than the K2 version of the 4AA Pack-away. I don't like the light coming from below as much because it's blinding when it's on a table. It has a diffuser over the LED which makes the output nice and smooth, but the Coleman 4AA Pack-away is definitely a much better design.

Have fun at Killbear. I'm at Granite Saddle for a few days in August myself.
    Last edited by luminiferous; 07-28-2007 at 11:36 AM.

How's the glare on these things? Too painful on the eyes?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic View Post
    How's the glare on these things? Too painful on the eyes?
    No. Doesn't bother my eyes when it's sitting on a table because of the angle of the conical reflector. The original design was well thought out, so the change to CREE emitter has not caused any issues ( IMO ) other than increased artifacts due to the globe shape. There is glare when the lantern is hanging above eye level, but it doesn't have a negative effect on the lanterns usefulness. However, Blacklight said it did have a lot of artifacts and also suggested they are considering adding a textured globe to alleviate this issue.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...3&postcount=31
    Last edited by luminiferous; 07-26-2007 at 08:15 PM.

does anyplace in the usa have the cree version
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 276 View Post
    does anyplace in the usa have the cree version
    Around August 1st. See above post #161

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=161

Coleman Web Store would be the obvious first place to try next Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by filibuster View Post
    On another thread I read of these new Rebel based stars that hold three rebel emitters in the same space as an old Luxeon star.
    http://www.luxeonstar.com/sub_catego...&link_str=1430

What would it take to get one of these into a Coleman lantern or modded into any other lantern? The brightest version of this three emitter rebel star puts out 480 lumens at 700ma (9.45 Vf).

It would be nice to have a battery based lantern that gets close to the output of the legacy white gas lanterns but even at 480 lumens I'm guessing it's only about a 10th as bright as a Coleman fuel based lantern.

Any plans Blacklight?
    A Coleman White GAs Lantern is between 800 and 900 lumens, a Standard Coleman Propane Lantern is between 1000 to 1100, The Coleman Elite LAnterns are about 1100 to 1200 Lumens, The Northstar propane Lantern is about 1300 to 1400 lumens, and the Coleman Pinnacle (propane) is between 1500 and 1600 lumens....as to plans for the future...to early to let the cat out of the bag...but....

Around August 1st. See above post #161

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=161

Coleman Web Store would be the obvious first place to try next Wednesday.
    I am stuck in meetings most of today, Monday I will take a look and see if the CREE version has arrived. I know The new version thats half the size with CR123A batteries is scheduled to be in on August 1 (its floating around on a truck here in the staes right now).

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd View Post

Phredd
    I tried affixing diffuser film around the center LED base and conical reflector. I didn't like it and returned the lantern to it's original configuration. Adding a white diffuser around the center has the ill effect of causing glare at any angle. It makes it feel like having a 100 Watt light bulb sitting on a table, blinding you (Just an analogy. Please don't start comparing lumens of a 100 Watt light bulb). This is exactly what I don't like about my Brunton Glorb XB (Golden Dragon). I was wrong about the diffuser tube. In my opinion, Coleman got it right.

Also noted in previous post.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=153

Flashaholic

PM Sent. Unfortunately the lantern is not yet available in Canada. You'll have to order it from a US retailer. According to Blacklight, they should have the CREE version available from US retailers around August 1st. You can order the Luxeon K2 version right now and honestly, there isn't a difference other than the LED. If you're capable of modding and don't care about voiding the 5 year warranty, then that's also an option.

EDIT: Forget modding as an option. I won't go into the details on the public forum, but a specific aspect of the assembly technique makes modding the emitter nearly impossible without destroying the lantern. If you really want the CREE, you'll have to wait and order it from a US retailer. Consider the K2 version, it's still a really nice lantern. Better than any other LED lantern available for shipment to Canada today.

Campmor.com has the K2 version today for $30 US, and offers Canada Post Border Free, but that can be a very expensive lantern by the time your done. I'd call them and make sure you find out what your final cost will be. I ordered product from them and their service was excellent.

If you're looking for an alternative, then I'd suggest the Brunton Glorb XB which is actually the OSRAM Golden Dragon lantern. Available at MEC for $31. It's small (not as small, but small) and lightweight. Brightness is just slightly less than the K2 version of the 4AA Pack-away. I don't like the light coming from below as much because it's blinding when it's on a table. It has a diffuser over the LED which makes the output nice and smooth, but the Coleman 4AA Pack-away is definitely a much better design.

Have fun at Killbear. I'm at Granite Saddle for a few days in August myself.
    I'll have to go check out what they have at MEC, thanks.
    I'm so excited being my first time camping. Have fun at Granite as well.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BayMoe View Post
    I'll have to go check out what they have at MEC, thanks.
    I'm so excited being my first time camping. Have fun at Granite as well.
    No problem. Here's a link...

http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp?bmFo...&search=Search

Unenlightened

So how fast does Coleman ship products? I'm going camping on the 11th, but worry about how long it would take for them to get it to me if I order right on the 1st. Looks like an amazing tiny light.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by guy121 View Post
    So how fast does Coleman ship products? I'm going camping on the 11th, but worry about how long it would take for them to get it to me if I order right on the 1st. Looks like an amazing tiny light.
    Wait for it. Blacklight will be responding soon, as to whether or not the 4AA Cree versions are in. Once you know they have them, I would phone and see what's possible. The Coleman web store shows standard delivery only (2-4 weeks). You won't get a CREE version by August 11th unless special arrangements can be made. Maybe you can find out what retailers have received Cree versions by mid next week, if any have.

Yes, the Coleman store is horribly slow. I get lights from Asia faster than from Coleman usually. Don't buy from them when you don't have to.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Quote Originally Posted by guy121 View Post
    I should know by the end of the day whther they came in on 7/27 or not. The new part number is 2000000264 for the CREE version.

Guy, PM me your name, and shipping address, I don't normally have time to do this, but if you are willing to PM me after your trip with what you liked, and more importantly what you don't like about the light, I will send you one before your 8/11 trip, but I need your info in the next day or two. wish I could do this for everyone, but I do not have the time. or extra samples laying around. In the future I may recruit some of you as my testing squad if there is interest, but if that happens, I will put it in the manufacture section so as not to upset anyone.

Thank you all for your interest, and patience with my hectic schedule.

Looks like they are here, but have to be unloaded yet, so i would say about another week for availability (I know seems like a long time, but lots of products coming in at the same time all the time around here).

Flashaholic

Blacklight, I would very much like to help test if possible.

I saw the link for
    luxeonlight.com (?) which had the 3 rebels on the 1 star, would be awesome upgrade for the K2 or better yet the
    3AA Micropacker™ Lantern
    Any one know if changing this out would work? Someone said that geting the exponent might be hell to get apart.

Blacklight, if we were interested in doing this, might you know if it were possible to get the
    3AA Micropacker™ Lantern if we wanted to do this, or is this just not worth doing because everything is just glued together too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Weylan View Post
    Blacklight, I would very much like to help test if possible.

I saw the link for
    luxeonlight.com (?) which had the 3 rebels on the 1 star, would be awesome upgrade for the K2 or better yet the
    3AA Micropacker™ Lantern
    Any one know if changing this out would work? Someone said that geting the exponent might be hell to get apart.

Blacklight, if we were interested in doing this, might you know if it were possible to get the
    3AA Micropacker™ Lantern if we wanted to do this, or is this just not worth doing because everything is just glued together too much?

Yeah they are pretty much glued together and pretty hard to take apart, sorry to you modders. I saw the 3 rebels on a start looks interesting, there may be other things on the horizon as well, that have not been publically released yet, but one thing is for sure, the future just keeps getting brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
    ...I saw the 3 rebels on a start [star] looks interesting, there may be other things on the horizon as well, that have not been publically released yet...
    A Lux Rebel Star in a camping lantern? . For now, I'll keep my fantasies to myself, but I am hoping you mean something like the picture at www.ledsupply.com.
    Thanks for all of your info and answers. Now I know why the current generation of Coleman LED camping lanterns are way ahead of the curve.

While I have your attention, could you do something about the hokey battery carrier and impossible to remove bottom cover of the battery Northstar? I like the Rayovac setup much better. I have both, but I usually grab it instead of the Northstar for this reason.

Are these available yet with a cree? I looked on the Coleman store and they still have the K2 version up.

> lithium batteries?
    Good question (Energizer Lithium AA, slightly higher voltage than alkalines). OK?

An alternative to a diffuser would be a shade (something I've wished for decades came standard on the Coleman gasoline mantle lanterns, which are the campground equivalent of the rural "unshielded bright mercury vapor lamp on a tall pole" for annoyance.

Two ideas for reflectors, both very old, certainly in the public domain by now (though I'm sure you can patent a specific design for your brand light)

Look at the old folding flashbulb reflectors, very small when collapsed, opening up to a big bowl shape. Here's a picture of one.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nual/index.htm

Or several curved pieces hinged at the top could wrap around the light, overlapping when closed, and spread out to reflect light down.

Both approaches keep the light out of people's eyes and would wash out most of any unevenness by overlapping reflections on the table. Pebble the surface to diffuse the reflection even more.

I'd _love_ a moddable version of this light so I could put amber LEDs in it. Why? http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/BlueLight.htm
    Last edited by hank; 08-14-2007 at 01:07 PM.