looking for a "cheap" led flashlight

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
I have recently bought a led mini mag 2aa It works good but I am not to pleased with the throw and the fact that it dies suddenly when the batteries go flat. I am looking for a decent/good quality light that operates on normal double a batterys and possibly the cr123a type I mostly use the light for close up work aka computer mods and for lighting my way around trails I am thinking something with a dual output high/low and a pretty good throw for trail navigating What are you guy's suggestions I am looking to spend around 40-100+$ if it is going to do what I want It is going to be a edc light so I will also need a holster that will hold the light seculty and one or two sets of spare batteies so what do you guy's reccomend Thank's Dj

frasera

Newly Enlightened
you could have bought the 3aa from homedepot for 15.98. still on till the first if you can find stock.

its brighter, check out the review at flashlightreviews.com

add a cheap headlight for super long runtime backup i guess. with aa/aaa type flashlights you either go for super long runtime or brightness. like the cheap nite ize led upgrade for the old aa mag, runtime is about 11hrs to 50% from what i remember, but its light output is far less than the mag led. if you want long runtime then its c/d size all the way. those go tens of hours. i think one of the led mag c or d is also on sale at home depot, check the homedepot mag thread.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Looks like you want a single tool to do 2 completely different jobs. like a screwdriver for watchcases and a sledgehammer in one. There are very few lights that will do both, the first that comes to mind is the Surefire A2, but thats a little over the budget. Maybe the Streamlight Twintask range has a model for you, or you could buy 2 lights. For closeup work like computer mods I recommend a headlamp with 5mm LEDs, Petzl, Princetontec, Black Diamond, Silva and many others make lights that are very suitable for this kind of work.
For the outdoor stuff, I recommend an incan light, as they tend to have better color rendition and often throw a little better. If you want to stick with LED, check out the Streamlight propoly 4AA luxeon and the Lumapower Lumacraft D-Mini. Both these LED lights throw pretty good...

Vickers

Enlightened
Mudd Magnet said:
I have recently bought a led mini mag 2aa
snip

Mudd Magnet said:
I am not to pleased with the (snip) the fact that it dies suddenly when the batteries go flat
You already ran the batteries down all the way?

I've had my 3AA for quite some time, and I doubt I've had it on for over 2 hours altogether!

Mudd Magnet said:
I will also need a holster that will hold the light seculty and one or two sets of spare batteies
:huh2:

So...doesn't that make the (supposed) sudden drop-off a non-issue?

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
Yes I have already run the batteries down flat and this second set are almost dead too. I like the runtime of the mini mag it seems to run for a long time I am going to guess at least 6 hours and it is plenty bright for working up close. I simply dislike the fact that it dies suddenly when the batteries are rundown. I am used to my lights declining over time and having a sort of visual output/batterie indicater lol. As for the hoslter I would like to have that so I always have a spare set with me I usually just toss some double a's into my pocket but I do forget and if they were with the flashlight in a holster I would not have to worrie abought forgeting.

Norm I really like the look of that lumapower light I think that is abought the best looking lite for the price running a cree I have seen around I was also interested in the fenix p1d ce.

which will most likly be brighter and more reliable? I am probably going to do the nite ize led upgrade for my incan mini mag to use for close up work and keep the new light for outdoors work I like the led's better then the incan lights mind you I have never had a good incan light before but I find the leds light up more of the immediate area vs the incan lighting up farther away but not as much is lit up anyways thanks for the suggestions