Weird clamshell reading/area light at Kmart

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, it's not a high quality product, but it's a very practical compact design.

Go to the sports department. It's made by Northwest Territory. It's sold as an extra smaller light along with a large flashlight. Throw the large flashlight away. $10 for both.

It folds out like a clam shell, except the head is smaller than the base. The base takes 4AA batteries. The head takes a PR base bulb and has a mirror in back to focus the light forward, and a light diffusing cover. The head also swivels. The base has a steel clip. Clips to a lamp shade for a reading light. Also clips to your pants pocket. Swivel the head out to point the light in front of you. Do try NiMHs and a 3 cell bulb.

I want one made right: waterproof, Xenoy body, etc.

You may want to try it and see if you like it. If you don't, you can take it back. I'm keeping it. It's not too much larger than the 4 AAs that go into it. It's worth having to store the AAs and an extra bulb at the very least. It's also perfect for power outages. I could have used it last night when I was working on some equations and the power went out. Beam is nice and smooth too. I may try LEDs in it.