MiniMag LED disassembly?

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
I've seen posts of disassembled MiniMags, but how do you get the driver/emitter block out of the dang thing? It's loose in there as it is (I'm guessing for focusing purposes), but how do you actually extract it out?

Nebula

Enlightened
Z - CPF user "Will" built a small device for doing what you ask. Here is a link for a small GB he did -http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=137373. Hope this helps.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
With the tailcap and batteries removed, push (hard) on the points indicated:
remove.jpg

(I guess you could push directly on the emitter, but I don't like that approach)
The LED module will drop out of the bottom. The retaining cup will come out from the top.

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
You can also set something not too hard or rough (like a book) directly on the led lense and knock the whole module out.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Sorry to hear your light came apart in pieces. I've only modded the one 2AA model and didn't run into that.

For reassembly, install the module from the rear. Hold it in place with the 3 cells. While keeping firm pressure on the cells, install the black plastic retainer from the top. Be sure you have the flats on the retainer lined up with the flats on the module shell. It will snap into place.

(My MiniMag 2AA LED mods):
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131784
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134406

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
Yeah, will invented a tool to do it. I found it easier to just use the extention bar from a 3/8 inch hex drill. I have a drill set, so it was handy. Just place the hollow part over the LED and push into the light. Putting back is just a matter lining up the retaining ring and the LED module and pushing from inside the light. I just slid the LED in, put the batteries on top to hold it in place, fit the retaining ring over the LED and push it all together.

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Well, I still have not had success with this method. Not for lack of trying; but I don't really think I've been using "tools" that are suited to doing the job.

I have tried various things to simply push down on the black plastic housing shown in the picture. I have tried to push into those slots, too, but the only thing I had for that was a pair of tweezers, which I tried to insert the tips of into the slots and push from behind. (I wasn't able to get much leverage; it was a half-hearted attempt.)

Would you please tell me, are you supposed to push straight down into those slots, or are those little metal tabs that are visible in the photo supposed to get squeezed together or something?

-Jeffrey

EvilLithiumMan said:
With the tailcap and batteries removed, push (hard) on the points indicated:
remove.jpg

(I guess you could push directly on the emitter, but I don't like that approach)
The LED module will drop out of the bottom. The retaining cup will come out from the top.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Ahh... that rather better explains were I went wrong!

The metal bits are part of the LED assembly. The plastic is the "cup".

I used a socket on an extension to drive the whole mess out the bottom.

But initially I also tried tweezers. I guess I didn't try hard enough?

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made this tool, it presses into the 2 slots on the top. The plastic piece pictured was damaged using the 2 small screwdriver method. there are 2 flats on the LED module and the plastic piece that have to be aligned to put it back together. You can use batteries to hold the LED in place while the plastic part is snapped back on.

tool.jpg

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the big flathead from my precision screwdriver set and pushed down with moderate force on one side. I took about a couple minutes, but it came loose and was able to take it apart. Now I'm deciding how I want to mod it...or try to anyway, I have yet to do one, but a Cree would be nice...