Maxpedition - Knives and Tools
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is a gallon of pennies worth $$$ ?

Flashaholic* light_emitting_dude's Avatar

Default How much is a gallon of pennies worth $$$ ?

I have a glass gallon jar that I am using to collect my pennies. It is about 3/4 full and I will cash it in when it gets full. Luckily my credit union offers a free service to do this. Does anyone know approximately how much my gallon of pennies will be worth when it gets full? Hey maybe I can use this to buy a new flashlight!

Default Re: How much is a gallon of pennies worth $$$ ?

i also have a gallon jar that is an old glass colorox bleach jug. it to is about 85% full . i think it is about worth 20 bucks of so?

I found this from google.

For pennies (diameter: 0.75", thickness: 1.55 mm) the above computation would give a "V" of about 0.029727 cu in, or about 7771 pennies per gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz
    I found this from google.

For pennies (diameter: 0.75", thickness: 1.55 mm) the above computation would give a "V" of about 0.029727 cu in, or about 7771 pennies per gallon.
    Yes, but the pennies can't occupy the volume of the gallon perfectly due to their shape and the fact that they aren't hand-packed one at a time into the container. However, your calculation certainly gets us headed the right way. I say approx. $55.
    *** SureFire, Ra, NovaTac, Fenix, Nitecore, Inova, Arc, Mag, Malkoff, etc.

Flashaholic*

Contest anyone?

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Valpo Hawkeye
    Yes, but the pennies can't occupy the volume of the gallon perfectly due to their shape and the fact that they aren't hand-packed one at a time into the container. However, your calculation certainly gets us headed the right way. I say approx. $55.
    Yes, the 7771 pennies would have to be perfectly packed. That was just something I googled and not my calculation.

If we had a contest, someone would need alot of pennies and settle on what to use for a gallon container.

weigh a single penny, then weigh an equivalent container, then weigh the container full of pennies

this'll give you a generalized idea of worth in cents

Pennies are worth more as metal (zinc alloy) than currency, I think.
    Do something alone and it's weird, do it with others and it's a club.

I have a quart jelly jar half full of pennies. Last count was less than $3.

But the quart jar of quarters is one day going to pay for my Corvette!

I can tell you that a five gallon bucket (drywall joint compound) full will yield almost $400, Can't remember the exact figure but it was in the 390's.

Oh, BTW, I gallon of quarters has yielded me close to $1,000

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation
    weigh a single penny, then weigh an equivalent container, then weigh the container full of pennies
    Good idea!

Better idea: Do the same but weigh ten pennies. That will give you ten times the accuracy.

Even better: Coins are manufactured with very good precision. Your national bank can most likely provide you with a weight-figure for them, or perhaps google. Then do what Illum_the_nation suggested.
    Still no response to that PM or e-mail you sent me two months ago? Try sending it again. I'm terrible at keeping track of messages.

Flashaholic* light_emitting_dude's Avatar

So about $70-$80 for a gallon of pennies approximately? Sounds about right.
    When I cash it in I will dig up this post and give the exact amount!

Pennies aren't all copper, guys!! To use weight, you have to know the right alloy of zinc-copper (I think that is what pennies are now!) If I have it right, they are 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper.

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Flashaholic*

a single penny weighs 0.1 oz

$10 worth would weigh over 6lbs

http://www.kokogiak.com/megapenny/1.asp
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by cave dave

$10 worth would weigh over 6lbs

http://www.kokogiak.com/megapenny/1.asp
    wow mine weighs something like 30 or so pounds. how much would that be

I'd like a 5 gallon jug of those sacagawea dollar!

Quote Originally Posted by benchmade_boy
    wow mine weighs something like 30 or so pounds. how much would that be
    Maybe around $50.

Flashaholic*

My mother has 2 or 3 5-gallon jugs full of pennies.
    Pel. M6 LED, SL TL-2 LED, TL-3 Xenon, Scorpion, Inova X5, SharperImage Luxeon, Gerber Infinity, Petzl Tikka, 2C Mag 3x123 KPR112, 2D Mag 7xAA KPR118, Nuwai QIII, TM115, TM311, 3rd_shift Luxeon 3C Magmod, Solitaire Luxeon, MiniMag MJLED,Mag85, MagLed 2D.

$54 - or at least that is what my gallon of pennies in a Gallo Wine "port" gallon was worth - plus a few cents

Quote Originally Posted by bwaites
    To use weight, you have to know the right alloy of zinc-copper

Bill
    No you don't! You only need to know the weight of a penny, the weight of the jar, and the weight of the jar with the pennies in it!

Back when I was 17 and had my first job working for Selecta Switch, Inc., I used to have to count their advertisement papers using a scale. I'd weight one single sheet of paper, set that as 1, and then drop any size stack of papers on the scale and it would actually count how many papers were on the scale! If there were a thousand sheets on the scale and I removed 1, it would register!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by cave dave
    I just weighed 2 rolls of 50 on my digital scale and got 9.2 oz (264g), with the weight of 2 paper rolls less than .1 oz. (my scale only reads to tenths of oz)

So I guess 9.2 oz per dollar, or $1.74 per pound!

Trashman, you are, of course, correct! IF...and only IF, you are are trying to figure how many pennies to the POUND.

The question is..."How much is a gallon of pennies worth?" That is a volume measurement, and to correctly estimate that, you must know several DIFFERENT things.

1) Cubic measurement in cc's, or mm cubed, or cubic inches or cubic feet of a gallon.
    2) The specific alloy.
    3) The weight, by volume, of that alloy.

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Flashaholic*

Be careful when moving that jug around. It was designed to hold about 8 lb, not 80. It could easily break apart, and glass shards would be all over the place. I've seen it happen.

the alloy for pennies was changed in 1982 from 95% copper to 98% zinc with copper plating, so the weight will be different for older pennies and newer pennies. we all know pennies stay in circulation for a LONG time (you can still ocassionally get a wheat penny in change).

so if you're going by the weight method, you would have to consider the proportion of pre-1982 and post-1982 pennies you might have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_%28U.S._coin%29
    liQht

Quote Originally Posted by bwaites
    Trashman, you are, of course, correct! IF...and only IF, you are are trying to figure how many pennies to the POUND.

The question is..."How much is a gallon of pennies worth?" That is a volume measurement, and to correctly estimate that, you must know several DIFFERENT things.

1) Cubic measurement in cc's, or mm cubed, or cubic inches or cubic feet of a gallon.
    2) The specific alloy.
    3) The weight, by volume, of that alloy.

Bill

I thought you were talking about using the weight of the penny to estimate the amount of money in a full gallon jar (err, wait, that is what you're talking about!). I thought you were just over thinking it! (err, wait, I still think that!) The thing is, as others have pointed out, the way in which the pennies are arranged, or in this case, just happen to fall, in the jar is going to be a factor in how many pennies will fit in the gallon. It sounds, to me, that you're planning on melting the pennies down and then filling the gallon jar with the molten pennies, all the while, taking note of how many pennies worth of molten metal you've poured. As I type this, I'm even more convinced that you're over thinking the problem. The main thing to agree on, though, is that the pennies will never fall into the jar in exactly the same pattern, and sometimes, more pennies will with than at other times, just because of the randomness of their falling. A good scale will get you the right number every time, though there may slight differences due to the amount of dirt on each penny.

EDIT: After paying more attention to Light's post, above mine, I'm now wondering...what is the difference in weight between the new and old pennies? What do they each weigh?
    Last edited by Trashman; 12-31-2006 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman
    I thought you were talking about using the weight of the penny to estimate the amount of money in a full gallon jar (err, wait, that is what you're talking about!). I thought you were just over thinking it! (err, wait, I still think that!) The thing is, as others have pointed out, the way in which the pennies are arranged, or in this case, just happen to fall, in the jar is going to be a factor in how many pennies will fit in the gallon. It sounds, to me, that you're planning on melting the pennies down and then filling the gallon jar with the molten pennies, all the while, taking note of how many pennies worth of molten metal you've poured. As I type this, I'm even more convinced that you're over thinking the problem. The main thing to agree on, though, is that the pennies will never fall into the jar in exactly the same pattern, and sometimes, more pennies will with than at other times, just because of the randomness of their falling. A good scale will get you the right number every time, though there may slight differences due to the amount of dirt on each penny.
    Agreed. To get an accurate and fairly precise answer to teh gallon question you would need a tube with and ID = the the diameter of a penny and a height that would hold a pint, quart, gallon of liquid.
    Then put the pennies in and count.
    This could be calculated.
    That half of the class will be given the needed information in inches, and pints. This half will use metric.
    Winner gets the pennies.

just for fun I weighed 10 pennies from the 1960's and got 1.105oz and I weighed 10 more pennies from the 2000's and got .885oz, so yes there is a 20% difference in pennies made before and after 1982.

Volume wise the count will be the same, but weighing to get a count will be off by as much as 20%.
    Last edited by Morelite; 12-31-2006 at 12:23 AM.

I once saved a plastic 2 Liter bottle of pennies, it holds about $30.00 worth not quite full and I took it to my bank and cut it open with a utility knife and poured them out in their bins. They didn't have anyone to count it so I got a receipt a few days later in the mail for the amount (deposit slip).
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Ain't that a *itch (scratch, scratch). Pre-'82 pennies weigh 3.1g and post weigh 2.5g. So, while you're separating your jar of pennies into two piles, you might as well just count them at the same time!

We could always get a decent estimate, though! My guess is that most of the pennies are post '82.

Pre 1982 pennies are worth more in scrap copper value than they are as a penny. 100 pennies are worth one dollar in mometary value but they are worth $1.51 as copper (at the current scrap copper value of $2.20/lb)