SUREFIRE Turbohead disappoints

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I could have added this to the "Smallest & brightest SF Turbohead" thread, but I was so surprised and disappointed by my experience that I decided to start a new one.

I just received my KT2 lamp/reflector kit with N2 lamp for my 9P SF. My first impression as I removed it from the box was positive. It had a ruggedly stylish look that was very appealing. It was also more compact than my "classic" 3" Turbohead that I bought for my old 6P years ago: 2.5" diameter and 2.5" length vs 3" and 3" length. It also seemed heavier than the larger and older T-head, but I ignored that in my eagerness to try it.

After I attached it to my 9P and ignited it my heart sank. The beam seemed surprisingly large in diameter and lacking in intensity. I thought that my judgment was perhaps subjective and inaccurate so I got out my 6P with the old 3" turbo and compared the two beams.

The beam from the 6P 3" turbo was about 40-50% smaller than that of the 9P + N2. It was nearly perfectly round with almost no corona so that the light was nearly 95% hotspot. Consequently, it was actually brighter than the larger light even though there was "more" light coming from the 9P. To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Next, I compared them both to my tightly focused US. No contest! Neither Surefire matched the Streamlight, whose beam was only slightly larger than the3" turbo's.

Finally, I put the N2 into the 3" turbohead and attached it to the 9P. Now THERE was a light! The beam was about the same diameter and focus as the US, perhaps a little cleaner with less coronal spread and nearly identically bright.

Now I had a light that was just as bright and penetrating as the US, but much smaller, lighter and easier to carry. Look at the specs:

UltraStinger - L: 11 5/8" Wt: 1lb + 3/10 oz

SF 9P with 3"turbo - L: 8" Wt: 9.5oz

To put it another way, the SF 9P with N2 in that "old, outmoded turbo" provided equivalent performance to the US which is 45% longer and 70% heavier and much more cumbersome to carry. The only negative is the 3" diameter.

It appears that Surefire has taken a significant step backwards with the KT2 Turbohead, at least from this Flashaholic's point of view. Why did it design the 2.5 turbo to produce a larger, less intense hot spot? Perhaps Surefire has a good reason for this seeming regression.

PK, if you're reading this I assure you that my intent is not to be critical, and you may recall that I have expressed my respect and appreciation of your abilities in other posts. It is simply that I am so disappointed and puzzled by my experience with this product.

Some further observations:

Weight: the KT2 is surprisingly heavy: 4.8oz vs 3.4oz for the 3" turbohead. That seemingly small difference means that the KT2 is 40% heavier than the older unit.

Reflector faceting: when I closely compared the faceting of the US, the KT2 and the 3" T-head I found that the US seemed extremely subtly faceted for approximately the first 40% of its depth near the lamp then becoming non-faceted, and the entire reflector including the faceting appearing very reflective and "shiny". The faceting on the 3" reflector was also subtle, though more obvious than the US, but still shiny enough to reflect recognizable images, such as my hand and other objects. The KT2 was the least reflective of the three, barely able to reflect any recognizable image. Out of curiosity I examined the reflector on my M6. Sure enough, the faceting, though subtle, was almost as reflective as that of the 3" turbo, and distinctly more so than the KT2.

There appears to be a proportional relationship between faceting reflectivity or "shinyness" and brightness and focus. Of course it's more complex than that, with the size, angle and density of the facets along with reflector shape and size being critical factors. But to this layman's eyes a bright, reflective barely faceted reflector = a bright focused light.

As a result of my experience with the KT2, I don't plan on ordering any more turboheads from Surefire, unless CPF colleagues feel that a particular combination is especially competent.

Also, I'm now even more skeptical toward LPS' claim of a "compact turbohead, less than 2.5" in diameter". I hope I'm wrong because to have a 3x123 turbohead Surefire with N2 lamp for one hour burn that not only matches the US, but does so with a small diameter head would be a dream come true

In my perhaps simplistic view the whole point of a turbohead is to throw an intensely concentrated beam of light as hard and far as possible. Judged by those criteria, I'm sorry to say that in my opinion the KT2 falls short.

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Have you noticed me selling all my turboheads? M3 and M3T are almost identical.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't have a KT TurboHead.

I find the M3T beams tight, and longer range, these are significantly better then the M3.

The N1 lamp is very tight - especially in the 3" T1, When I use the 2.5" (12PM) Turbo, the N2 lamp in the M3T is far more intense then the N1, a larger beam, yes, and at longer ranges, the N2 lamp is far more impressive.

Thanks for your review.

BTW, the compact 2.5" TurboHead that LPS are selling is the version before the one used on the 12PM. It's more akin to the 3" TurboHead with the lens not as deeply set in the Bezel.

Al

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
... reflector ... shiny enough to reflect recognizable images, such as my hand and other objects. ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

B-norm, thanks - I never thought of that reflector evaluating technique.

I straightaway looked at all my best lights and their reflectors, and I suspect that people all over the world did so too !!

If you are going to try this, then different angles/focuses show different results.

lightlover
smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
BTW, the compact 2.5" TurboHead that LPS are selling is the version before the one used on the 12PM. It's more akin to the 3" TurboHead with the lens not as deeply set in the Bezel.

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Al,

How does the beam from the LPS turbo compare to the M3T? Is it tighter and more intense? Do you think it would be the equivalent of the 3" turbo I described?

Thanks for any info.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
If PK was a horse, I'd have got it straight from his mouth. As it happens, it was an email but there you go...

I don't got one of these so I can't comment.

Sorry
tongue.gif

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
If PK was a horse, I'd have got it straight from his mouth. As it happens, it was an email but there you go...

I don't got one of these so I can't comment.

Sorry
tongue.gif

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, thanks.

Brightnorm

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
How does the beam from the LPS turbo compare to the M3T? Is it tighter and more intense? Do you think it would be the equivalent of the 3" turbo I described?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>B-Norm,
I have a KT & am very impressed with mine. I don't have a 3" turbo to compare it to, but I do have a M3T & the US. The KT & the M3T with the same lamp are very close. If I had to pick 1 as tighter & brighter, it would be the KT. Really to close to call. As far as the US, I would say the N2 lamp in either T-head would be close to equal with the US. Center spot is slightly larger, about the same brightness. The MN16 is brighter, but not as tight or well defined as the N2. At this time, I would say the N2 is my fav lamp. If your T-head is HA, do you want to sell it?? TX

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
...At this time, I would say the N2 is my fav lamp. If your T-head is HA, do you want to sell it?? TX
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

txwest,

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think it's what you're looking for. It says "black anodise" which I believe is their standard finish. Besides, I still want to fool around with it for a while.

That 3" turbo with N2 is really amazing. There's a 28 Story high rise across the street from where I work. The street is multilane and very broad; maybe 75-90 feet. Tonight, after dark but with bright lights all around, standing across that broad street I BRIGHTLY illuminated the 28th floor (yes, I counted them) of that building with my little 9P+ turbo. Figure 10 feet per floor; that's 280 vertical feet, and a beam diagonal drawn from my position to the 28th floor would be significantly longer than a football field.

And I said BRIGHTLY!

Could they ever achieve this with a small diameter head? What a winner that would be.

Brightnorm

!

K-T

*Moderator*
TX, I know this does not belong here but I could get you one of these old T1 ot T2 new and sealed. Email me if interested.

Klaus.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken J. Good:
You will have to pry the four classic 3" turboheads I have for my 9P's out of my cold lifeless hands...

I have told folks for years this was the hidden treasure of the SureFire product line. Not too many believed.
cool.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken,

I'm glad that you agree with my observations.
When I said I felt that this was a "step backward" I meant it. I understand the utility of a smaller reflector, but why the decision to "dilute" the beam? Is Surefire really not capable of producing a 2.5" reflector that achieves the 3" head equivalent beam? Streamlight does it in the US, why not Surefire?

Can you direct me to any source for those 3" reflectors? I wouldn't even ask you to sell me one of yours..(hint..hint).

Do you know if Surefire has any plans for a redesigned 2.5" head with a really tight beam?

I love Surefire, but this is puzzling and frustrating.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K-T:
TX, I know this does not belong here but I could get you one of these old T1 ot T2 new and sealed. Email me if interested.

Klaus.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Klaus,

I'm not TX, but I am interested. Can you please tell me the difference between the
T1 and the T2 both in physical dimensions and in beam tightness?

Many thanks,

Brightnorm

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, the T1 and T2 Turbohead kits are identical except for the supplied lamp assembly (T1 with the 2 cell lamp and T2 with the 3 cell lamp, and unfortunately I can never remember lamp part nos!). Same for the KT1 and KT2. I might be wrong, but it does sound right to me based on their current designs.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
The T1 & T2 were indentical 3" heads, with 6-volt or 9-volt lamp assemblies respectively.

I just called tech support, and unfortunately we no longer produce or stock these heads.

Why?

Difficult to make, more expensive, they did not sell. Final outcome, not desireable.
blush.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
Yep, that's right. They are the same except for the lamp that is delivered with the turbohead. It took me quite a while to find someone since these T's are rare, they have been discontinued for a long time now. The dealer is from Austria, I am not quite sure if he will sell to the US? Email me. ( since this doesn't belong realy here and I don't have the address right now, I am not at home
wink.gif
)

One thing I have noticed, since Ken is anticipating in this discussion
wink.gif
, is the difference in beam pattern from the old 9N to the 9AN. The 9N has a perfect hot spot, bright and concentrated while the 9AN has some fussy flood type of beam - no nice hotspot anymore. The KT3 beam is compareable to the standard 9N beam!!! Why has SF changed this? Any comment on that?

Klaus.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
Maybe we could get Jahn to save the 3" Turbo Head.
wink.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or we could get Aragorn to mod-morph the KT into a 3"!

BN