What keychain do you use?

pietruck

Newly Enlightened
What do you use to attach your light to your keys?

I have a LOP SE and don't want to have to have me keys out in every instance of use.

I want to get a keychain that has detachable rings as I think that will be best for when you want you light off the ring.

I also don't want one that's so long that the light is bumping on you knees.

But I am new to this and welcome some other ideas.

What do you folks use and where do I get one?

ExZeRoEx

Enlightened
Hmm, I'm using a Photon Freedom Micro in red. I basically just use that for wandering around the house at night, using key holes, and for other close up things. It does have a little detachable things and I think I got mine from batteryjunction.

It isn't the brightest thing, but it was nice for 10 dollars IMO.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my Jil Intelli, I'm currently using the fat detachable key clip that 4sevens includes with the Fenix lights. It works like a charm. Before that, I was using the large size McGizmo clip, but that's on the wife's key ring, now. I actually miss that McGizmo clip, for some reason, and will probably be getting another. The fat Fenix clip and the large McGizmo clip function about the same, ease-of-use wise. These are the two that I would recommend. When I'm driving, I can easily remove the light from my key ring without any trouble at all. The large McGizmo that I'm talking about is the one that's larger than 1". I can't remember, at the moment, if it's the Mini, the Micro, or the ...??? Anyway, I recently sent for the 1" size, and it wasn't the one I was looking for. One inch seemed like it was the one I wanted, but the size specs are somewhat deceiving. I thought the larger one would be oversized, but it is not, it's perfect for easy access.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just carry my L0Pse loose in my pocket and arrach my backup lights to my keychains. I got caught with a dead battery in my Solitaire during the big blackout of Aug 2003 and now I always carry more than 1 light.

I have rurned the clip that comes with the L0Pse around and attached to the keychain.That way when I unclip the light I am omly holding the L0Pse and the clip goes back in my pocket with my keys.

The slip is in the littie zip-lok bag together with a spare O-ring inside the gift box. If yours have gone missing you can order more at thre Fenix store.
http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_38&products_id=129

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
pietruck said:
and welcome some other ideas.

Consider two small-ish keychains rather than one big clunky one.

Oct-3.jpg

cheers

BrightGal

Banned
pietruck said:
What do you use to attach your light to your keys?

I have a LOP SE and don't want to have to have me keys out in every instance of use.

I want to get a keychain that has detachable rings as I think that will be best for when you want you light off the ring.

I don't trust clips; I have had them unintentionally detach on me too often to have any faith in them.

I use a split-ring about 3/4 inch in diameter. On this split-ring are my Fenix L0D and a small swiss army knife. On my other split-ring of the same size are my car keys. Sometimes I hook the two rings together, sometimes I don't. It's very easy to decouple the two split-rings.

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
Carabiners come in many sizes and as long as you're not going to use it for rock climbing you can get them at Home Depot for about $2 I think. Aluminium so they'er light. Used to see them at Harbor Freight in a package with 3 or 4 sizes in it.

Ken

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
cnjl3 said:
What is exactly is that tool to the right of the arc? Looks like it will put a hole in your pocket pretty quickly?

Like what Brother Ben said, its an Atwood Wedgie. This one is the 3-inch flavor, with the paracord removed. It is not sharp, and hasn't destroyed my pockets yet. :grin2:

cheers

hoffner5

Newly Enlightened
I'm gonna have to swear by my Photon Microlight 2. I haven't splurged for the Freedom version with all those fancy electronics (yet). On, off, switch for constant on. It's so small I don't even notice it on my keychain (which, IMHO, is the definition of a keychain light), yet it's also one of the brightest single 5mm LED lights that I've seen (it's brighter than my Night-Ize Mini-Mag 3 LED).

Last edited:

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
powernoodle said:
Consider two small-ish keychains rather than one big clunky one.
I second this. I have house keys and a cheap microlight clipped to a buck knife (with built in LED!). Then, with two family cars, I have two seperate car key things on their own spectra cord handles so I can grab the one I need. I hate having overloaded key rings.

As BrightGal noted, I have had a couple of incidents with the clip, but haven't found anything better that allows me to remove the knife easily.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP already has a L0P-SE. He's asking for a keyCHAIN recommendation, not a keyLIGHT recommendation. :laughing:

I have a pair of Maxpedition Keypers on my belt. They're nice.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked out Berkeley Point? Lots of clips and hardware. Build your own or buy a kit. Easy to make a lanyard and/or keychain from their stuff. Great quality.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I will purchase either a Wedgie3 or one of those Keyton units. And I need to get some sort of flashlight I was thinking a Draco in chrome or Ti iono chrome Al. is much cheaper but then Ti is Ti.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a big carabiner fan but now will probably go with the gate clip from berkeley point (i have a talon from edcdepot coming in, looks similar to the gate clip, anyone know if they're of similar quality?).

The carabine is nice and easy access to things on it, but perhaps too easy - i've lost a couple things off it (luckily nothing big, but one was a photom freedom micro w/ covert nose, darn!) and didn't even know it.

i also want a couple pico clips, anyone know if berkeley point has a walk-in store?

Veto

Newly Enlightened
I've used a Bison type keychain for years and love them. I have one from SGI and one from Discovery store. The fob itself is a bit heavy, but otherwise about perfect for me.