Any Gunshots or fireworks/bombs ?

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the New Year just came and I rang it in with one of my flashlights that had an "Air Raid" style siren on the back. I heard a few large firecrackers go off up the street and a bunch of smaller ones go off just now.

I also threw one of my own firecrackers out my bedroom window as well to add to the noise; heard two girls across the street screaming after that went off.

Last edited:

RadarGreg

Enlightened
The "locals" sent a few rockets and mortars over the fence last night, but that is pretty much normal around here (Iraq). Other than that, it was a quiet evening.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that one four-inch bomb would be more fun than four one-inch bombs so I went for the big one. It put me down $35. The effect was pretty impressive, although our student union association, Pyrot ("the pyro" in Swedish), have set my standards pretty high with professional six inch bombs and gasoline bombs for starters.
Anyhow, I found the remains of the bomb pipe itself two meters from where I put it. Must have been some blast.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it.

Illum

Flashaholic
Distant artillery as usual, we were downwind and the smoke was "whew"
no gunshots though a bunch of kids went down the street in the back of a pickup throwing lit mortar shells out the back, caught me off guard cuz I was out there watching distant shells with binoculars.

no gunshots, neightbors had an argument, police were called in...other than that, nothing special

good thing about smoke is the "Paris air raid" mood when I shine my lights to the sky:grin2:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up several large piles of dog crap deposited on my driveway by the neighbors new pack of 4 dogs (the last pack was picked up by the pound, so they got some more) and threw it back on their property. Then starting at 1AM they set up a PA system and started yelling in Spanish and playing that stupid oompah music -- I called the cops, twenty minutes later I called again to report gun shots, but an hour and a half later (2:30AM... ) they were still disturbing the peace. Don't know if the cops ever showed... in the morning the pack of dogs was back on my property...
happy new year. right.

fire-stick

Enlightened
My buddy shot his 22 and I shot my 45. I also seen some exploding bottle rockets, and I heard some fire crackers. One of my other buddies shot of his mouth, but that was about it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Lots of fireworks and gunshots around here. People up the street had a bunch of rockets. I brought out the big spotlight and lit up the treetops.

Geoff

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
No noise where I am, but some idiot shot through a communications cable in the city around midnight. Probably knocked out his own cellphone service. :ohgeez:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Right around midnight, I heard a pretty fair amount of fireworks - some large ones (possibly M-80s), some medium-sized ones, and a lot of small ones going off in rapid succession (like packs of Ladyfingers or Black Cats being ignited together - not individually).

I myself set off six of those "party poppers" - they look like miniature plastic champagne bottles, and explosively expel a small number of paper streamers when you discharge them by pulling a string at the narrow end of the "bottle". They were louder than expected - about as loud as a small firecracker like a Ladyfinger.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Yes and possibly.
ohgeez.gif

*************Editorial Mode-Admins and or Mods feel free to remove, edit or delete the following*******************

Fireworks are designed for celebrations, Firearms are not!

I am a rabid supporter of OUR absolute right to keep and bear arms as individuals, but with that right comes a responsibility.
Firearms are only meant to be used in target practice/competition, hunting, self defense and war.

Those in rural areas have greater leeway when it comes to discharging firearms on THEIR property, but those of us in urban/suburban/x-urban locals must follow not just local ordinance but common sense.

Please understand that by fragrantly discharging a firearm for the noise value only fuels those who wish to further restrict/remove OUR absolute right the keep and bear firearms, by further validating their demonizing definition of a "gun nut".
icon3.gif

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
a 308 is our usaul tridition this year 7even shots last year 6ix but we DO NOT use real ammo we only use blanks on the new years. new years is the only time we shoot of our weapons no other times, and we dont want to put other lives in danger so we only use blanks not real ammo.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
All the neighbors were shooting off their lame Walmart bought sparkling fireworks, I had 5 bird bombs, man when I lit those up they thumped my chest. Awesome

NAW

Enlightened
Here in our state aerials, rockets, and basically anything that flies is illiegal... but that didn't stop anyone really (including our selves), :sssh:

Our family and alot of others were able to get mortar shells from friends and such. We bought 20 of the smallest mortars (a little over an inch). Our next door neighbor had gotten the 2 inch mortars :huh:

Anyway we set our launching tube in a bucket full of rocks (so it wont tip over) and shot off mortars but our neighbor with the 2 inch mortars wasn't as smart. They set there launching tube on the ground not secured. So when they lit theres the unrestrained launching tube tipped over from the wind and the mortar went flying across the road into the front yard of a huge party. When the mortar reached the party it kind of tumbled a bit and kind of stopped. We all should have taken cover but for some reason no one moved and we all just watched it in disbelief as it sort of tumbled and spinned a bit on the pavement and a second later it sent a echoing bang and green and blue sparks through the neighborhood. Luckily no one at the party or anyone else got thurt... considering the blast was powerful enough to make the lights in my room now flicker before turning on properly :drool:

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Very few fireworks or gunshots in the neighborhood. One neighbor learned that shooting off Roman Candles under his tree was not a good idea, as they rained back down on him! Nothing serious, just some fear and new respect gained.

The neighborhood to the north of me must have spent a collective few grand though. I could see the fireworks exploding over the tree line, it almost looked pro. They started at ten 'till midnight and went on forty minutes after. Probably some semi-auto gunfire as well. I think some pellets from a shotgun came down in the yard across the street. As a teen, we were showered in them years ago, so now I always stand under a roof!

K A

Enlightened
I didn't stay up for the new year myself. Though I did get woken up by popping noises. The first thing I thought was a power line/transformer was arcing and power was going to go off. I was half awake at the time and just happened to look at my clock and noticed it was 12:05. I went 'oh its midnight' and went back to sleep.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a walk around my neighborhood this afternoon and found a lot of 'spent' party-poppers which I though were the smaller firecrackers about 8 houses up from mine. Didn't find anything which could have been a large firecracker or M-80 but there was what I identified as a flourescent light broken into a thousand peices scattered all over the place at the end of my street.

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Fluorescent light blubs do make a rather satisfying "pop" sound when they're broken and the near-vacuum inside is relieved.
This may have been a substitue noisemaker in leiu of fireworks.