Cummins Turbo Diesel in Dodge Truck!

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
I don't know, but I know it's possible. I saw something online about a guy who put one in an FJ60 Land Cruiser. Despite the noise and cost, that would be one sweet rig. I just want to import a Canadian Spec. BJ/HJ60 Diesel Cruiser.

BTW, the Army did mobility tests comparing the Hummer and the old M151 jeep at Ft. Knox Ky. when I was there in the early 80s. The jeep was more mobile in many important respects.

Check out this TDI Powered Hybrid Hummer

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Geez, 0-50 in 7 seconds?!?!? That is the kind of performance I am wanting with a huge engine in it! Though I doubt I will get any sort of performance like that out of a really powerful diesel, and I don't want to go gas because of the mileage it would get on gas. I want to put the LARGEST possible engine in it I can. That would be SWEET to have a hummer that would do 0-60 in 9 seconds or less.

Spud

Darell

Flashaholic
Y'all may not want to hear from little-car-driving me, but the answer to your wants, Tater, is hybrid technology. We have a full-size Suburban at UCD that gets about 40mpg, and has MORE torque than the stock gas version. The reason? Electric motor assist. This particular Suburban can also drive pure electric for about 50 miles/charge.

http://www.team-fate.net/reports/Tech%20Report%20as%20Final%205-1-01.pdf

More power and higher mileage is coming - you just gotta know where to look. Hint: It isn't coming from larger displacement ICE.

Yeah, I know, I know. Who asked ME?

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
Agreed. I think combining electronic traction controll technology with a regenerative brake/electric motor at each wheel equals really exciting technology--maximum possible torque to the ground wihtout wheel slip.

There's are two versions of the Hybrid Hummer. One has an electric motor that drives each axle. The other has an electric motor that drives each wheel. The second one can turn in place like a tracked vehicle by driving one side of the vehicle forward and the other in reverse.

I like the hybrid hummer because it's got the same 1.9 liter engine as my VW TDI, yet outperforms the stock hummer
cool.gif

I want a Diesel-electric hybrid, though. I've got a thing for Diesels . . .

Kirk

Enlightened
Playboy,
I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the V10 gas engine, and I really don't want to talk about the gas mileage, thank you very much! I only take it out and play with it when we go trailering. I think it uses gas just sitting there!
wink.gif

Kirk

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Tater Rocket:

I am quite sure that I could call or stop-in at any good junk yard, and come out with a Cummins or where to get one very easily.

I don't know however what it would cost.

The buddy with the 2000 also owns a regular cab '91 with in excess of 300k miles. It isn't quite as powerful as the 2000, but runs excellently! It however rides like a TANK!

This is turning into an interesting thread!

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJS, There are a couple of aftermarket turbo kits out there for your truck. One is by Gale Banks. I don't remember who the other one is by.

P.S. Ford owns Cummins.

2dogs

Enlightened
I have two TD dodges,an early 1991,5 speed, blown engine. Bought that one new. Last September I bought an early 1998 12v, AT, quad cab from my father in law. Both are 4WD. If you are really interested check http://www.turbodieselregister.com. This sight is a must for Dodge TD owners. Both of my trucks are set up to pull a HEAVY gooseneck flatbed trailer that carries my tractor. I use 4WD constantly working cattle.
Re: HUMVEE, such a major change would unearth more trouble than it would be worth. BTW you might be able to find a HUMVEE with an air cooled Duetz(sp). Try http://www.mvpa.org/. Join the org and read "Supply Line"

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I got back just yesterday from a 2270 mile total trip to Chicago and back in 3 1/2 days.

We were in a 2000 Dodge 250 which normally gets right at 20 mpg, pulling a SKETCHY looking car hauling trailer. We got 16.5 mpg going up at an average speed of about 70. We loaded an estimated 6000 pounds on the trailer, and got an average of 13.3 mpg at an average speed of about 63 coming back.

That engine doesn't care how heavy. It just makes more grunt and away we go! That Dodge pickup is a fine vehicle for that engine as well! Very comfortable! Darn quiet considering the commotion going on a couple feet in front of you!

I don't much care for travelling like that, but the truck made it possible!

Makes me want to ditch my paid for '90 F350 7.3 non-turbo diesel for a new Dodge.... but the key here is "paid for"!

Any owners wish to tell us about your truck?

BradN

Newly Enlightened
My dad had a 1995 Dodge Cummins Diesel truck and just got a new 2001 model. He loves them except for the transmission. He blew his out while in Vegas for my wedding. Seems that someone forgot to put tranny oil in it when they changed the clutch (cough...my dad...cough) but other than that, it's a great truck.

He pulls a trailer with two mustang racecars on it and it doesn't even breathe hard.

The new one he got is a 2001 1 ton, extended cab, 4x4, duelly. That's alot of truck.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Could anybody tell me where I could get JUST the turbo diesel engine? I am wanting one around 7 liters or around 200-250 horsepower (whichever would be more). The reason I am wanting to know is because I want to build a hummer when I get older by buying a military humvee and stripping it keeping mainly the body, frame, tires, and maybe transmission. I'd then put in my own cummins turbo diesel, stereo, seats, etc. So, how much is this endeavour going to cost me engine wise? Anybody have a clue?

Spud

DaveH

Enlightened
Ford doesn't own cummins.

check out the turbo diesel register
(try google serach)

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I can never understand why Americans *NEED* just hefty large trucks as regular transportation! I guess I never will understand until I move there and be suck up some of your culture & way of life.
wink.gif

On any long drives, I'd be spewin' if I didn't get at least 40MPG in my car. That's with kickdown overtaking every 10th car or so (I love the engine noise) Granted, it's what you'd classify as sub sub sub sub compact: Nissan Pulsar(aka Sentra?) 1.8litre.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Onyx,

There has DEFINETLY been times in my life where a 40mpg little car has been GREAT to have!

Understand why I have a honking big Ford 4 door truck. My truck is my office, parts warehouse, and personal transportation all rolled up into one.

It's a 1990 model because we ain't rolling in money!

If I gotta do it anyway, an 18-20mpg turbo Cummins would beat the pants off my 13.5-14.5mpg Navistar!

Gotta wait until the cost benifit ratio gets a little more favorable!

DavidW,

If my engine was fresh maybe I would turbo it. But between my engine and the dreaded E4OD tranny there ain't no way I'd try to boost this critter!

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
I used to be a big Truck/SUV critic, but you know what? Other people are in a better position to decide what they "need" than I am. It's a free country (well pretty free where most CPF members are) and it's their money (purchase price, fuel, insurance, etc.) . . .

I'd love to have an old Canadian spec. Diesel Land Cruiser, but I'll probably settle for Bilstein HDs and taller tires for my 44 mpg VW TDI.

InTheDark

Enlightened
I used to be a big Truck/SUV critic, but you know what? Other people are in a better position to decide what they "need" than I am. It's a free country
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Agreed. People have the right to choose what they want. But I am an SUV/Truck DRIVER critic. Maybe it's just in california, but most of those people in those cars make the sports car drivers look like grandma's. You wouldn't believe how many overturned SUV's I see on perfectly straight, flat roads, in clear sunny weather.

Kirk

Enlightened
Onyx,
I need enlightenment. Does Australia have a mandatory "minimum wage"? What does a gallon or liter of gas cost? What I'm getting at is how many minutes/hours does the average person have to work to buy gas. The US has such cheap gas that most people don't find it a hardship to have a gas-guzzling vehicle. I assume if our gas prices had gone up where Europe's are a long time ago, we too would have much smaller vehicles. As it is, using the minimum wage of $6.75/hour in California divided by $1.50 per gallon of gas = 4.5 gallons per hour. This would take you 90 miles in a 20 mpg car. How far can the "minimum wage" Aussie go by working for 1 hour? Obviously, if you make more per hour you can go farther. As you can see by my post up above, I have a gas-guzzling truck. This is my "toy". I will have it 3 years on January 2, 2003 and have only 16,800 miles on it. I take it out when my wallet is fat and we can take time off to pull our 5th wheel trailer somewhere. My everyday car is a Toyota Prius. Onyx, if you ever decide to visit the states, DO NOT rent or borrow a big-engined vehicle! You'll never be satisfied with anything smaller than 5.0 liters!
wink.gif
There is no replacement for displacement!
Kirk

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by InTheDark:
Agreed. People have the right to choose what they want. But I am an SUV/Truck DRIVER critic. Maybe it's just in california, but most of those people in those cars make the sports car drivers look like grandma's. You wouldn't believe how many overturned SUV's I see on perfectly straight, flat roads, in clear sunny weather.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think part of that has to do with people hopping out of Camry's or Accords and into Suburbans without reflecting on the laws of physics and changing their driving habits accordingly
twak.gif

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Ok, Aussie fuel prices: Around 90cents per litre. 5 litres (yes litres, not liters) is about 1 US gallon. $US1 is about $AU0.55. You do the math Kirk (I'm stumped!)

Min wage depends on what area of work - there are industry dependent "award" rates that set work conds incl pay, as I understand (how would I know, I'm unemployed). I think bare minimum (McDonalds workers) get around $8/hr or so.

As for letting others decide if they need/cant afford, don't forget we all share the same environment. Just because you're financially able to get a hunking big SUV/truck doesn't make you any more/less privilledged to pollute OUR environment and waste OUR non-renewable resource. We as people of this earth are all stakeholders including the Rwandan village chief who's never seen a car.

No offense intended, I understand distances are great between anywhere to anywhere in the US (so any drive is a long one) But here in little ol' Aussie there is no *need* for gigantic trucks/SUVs. I detest seeing purpose built offroad vehicles driven recklessly by soccer mums under the false pretense that it's safer for them and their kids.

As for me and the USA Kirk, hopefully in 2003 if not 04 I'll be living permanently in the states (got a job offer at www.TPFcprivate.org )! So I will take up the challenge and indulge myself in a vehicle that makes no sense (Why is it called a sport utility? It's neither sporty nor utilitarian!).

I'm a fan of diesel, but 7 litres?! There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
wink.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
7.3 litres to be exact for my Navistar Diesel Onyx. And I honestly don't know why. The older model at 6.9 made enough power. Before getting this truck I drove an '86 with a 6.9 that ran GREAT... but the truck looked too nice for what I was going to do to it!

Diesel anywhere I've been except Illinois goes for around $1.33 as an average. Ill was nearly $1.53 avg. Last I bought was $1.29.

If I could afford any second vehicle, I would most likely opt for a Volkswagon Diesel Jetta or so. Or some small gas burner because I don't like to waste gas or polute the atmosphere any more than I gotta.

But driving this truck is good excersize, I have to park pretty far out at most stores!!!