Independent channel chargers that shut off

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the hot setup for chargers is independent channels so that each battery can be treated and charged according to its own needs; plus if you have devices that use either 1 or 3 batteries (like so many LED flashlights these days) you need charging that isn't in pairs.

I'd also like to eliminate the "phantom load" that a wall transformer does causing it to waste electricity even when it is off (My Maha C204 draws about 1 watt and the C401 draws 2 watts). I see that the Sony BCG-34HE4 charger has independent channels and shuts off when done (meaning that it draws NO electricity).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002IWC9C/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Are there any others like this?

One thing I've read about the Sony is that once it shuts off, it starts to drain the batteries a little if you leave them sitting there afterwards. Is this inevitable with such a design?

Thanks!

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do a search on CPF, there have been some past posts about the Sony charger. In essence, a good history. no missed charge cutoff on my two samples, and none reported elsewhere.

The Sony BCG charger is probably most similar to the Maha 204W, but with independent channels. The 204W is paired slots only - a real pain. all units of both chargers have been reliable in my extended family use.

In any case, the small size, 100-240VAC input with no wallwart, & independent channels represent the key requirements for my family of travelers.

Tim

NiOOH

Enlightened
I don't know how much does electricity cost where you live, but if we take a cost of 15 US cents per kilowatt, a 1 Watt consumption amounts to a cost of 1.31 dollars per year. This is providing that you keep the wall transformer plugged in all the time.
IMO it is a lot more practical to select a charger based on other considerations.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiOOH said:
I don't know how much does electricity cost where you live, but if we take a cost of 15 US cents per kilowatt, a 1 Watt consumption amounts to a cost of 1.31 dollars per year. This is providing that you keep the wall transformer plugged in all the time.
IMO it is a lot more practical to select a charger based on other considerations.

I just figure that if I can get a good charger that doesn't waste power... then why not?

24 hrs/day * 365 days/yr * 1 watt-hr = 8760 watts

Since 1000 watt-hrs (kilowatt) uses about a pound of coal, I'd be saving 8-9 pounds of coal every year. If the charger is good ...why not save the coal and prevent the CO2 addition to our atmosphere? If 50 million households did the same thing... that is 50 million * 8 pounds of coal. It starts to add up.

My VCR and TV combo wastes as much power in 22 hours of stand by as I use to watch a 2 hour movie each day. I hate to just waste power for no gain what-so-ever.