Eneloop mah limitations?

Heck

Enlightened
I'm really enjoing the eneloop batteries but it got me thinking. Is the 2000mah limitation a marketing thing or a technology thing?

I mean are they marketing 2000mah now and eventually release say 2300, or 2500 in the future so you buy the latest and greatest? Or is the 2000mah really a limitation factor with the nimh technology right now.

My hunch is that's it's a bit of both. My less than 2100mah nimhs always had lower self discharge than my more than 2500mah nimhs, and I understand this is due to the separator, so starting at 2000mah makes the best sense?

Anyway, wondering what your comments are on this, as I'm not nimh expert.

coppertrail

Enlightened
I would like to see higher capacity eneloops, but not at the cost of higher self-discharge.

I'm sure as R&D continues, we'll see higher capacities in these cells. For now, I'm happy with my 2000 mAh Eneloops :)

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eneloop capacity specification is more honest than most others. So don't get hung up on what the various creative marketing departments have claimed -- you won't find that much difference in actual capacity between Eneloops and most "2300" and "2500" mAh cells.

You should apply the same skepticism to battery capacity claims as you do to "7 watt", "12 watt", etc. LED flashlight claims. Or stereo amplifier power output claims, for that matter. They're all determined by the same method -- creative marketing.

c_c