24 volt bulb for a Bulldozer light!

andrewj

Newly Enlightened
hi folks - I am new to the forum - I came out of general interest in lights, but now I have a real problem that only you guys can help with! I have a 1960s bulldozer that is still run once a week on my little farm. I can't do without it. I am often moving the vehicle quite a ways across the property after dark, and rely on my lights. Both the front and rear burned out. They are 24 volt lights. The replacement lights from Komatsu are very expensive, and don't put out that much light anyway. I can't find a 24 volt light bulb at Napa, autozone, carquest, or wal mart (haha)

Surely there is a flood light LED that can live with 24 volts? Any help would be appreciated. I can solder and have very basic electronics understanding. thanks again.

westfork

Newly Enlightened
Have you checked out parts houses for military vehicles? Many of them such as the Pinzgauer, Hummer, etc. have 24 volt systems.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Why not just use two 12 volt (automotive) headlight bulbs in series? Or, get a pack of auxilary lights made for automotive and use those in series?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Exactly my idea also.

If a 12v bulb won't fit the housing check www.grainger.com for implement lights.

Theatre Booth Guy said:
Why not just use two 12 volt (automotive) headlight bulbs in series? Or, get a pack of auxilary lights made for automotive and use those in series?

andrewj

Newly Enlightened
Theatre Booth Guy said:
two in series would mean when one blew, the other would blow also, right? or just go out.

Flashlight Enthusiast
rufusdufus said:
Don't the 32 wheelers (as you call them)run on 24 volts.
Try your truckstop.

It's 18 wheeler. And ya best bet is 2 car headlights in series.

also in series if one goes out (opening the circuit) the other will just go out till you add another 12 votl device on the line.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
andrewj said:
two in series would mean when one blew, the other would blow also, right? or just go out.

Correct - just like the old Christmas lights. Change both when one goes out or, change both on schedule before either dies. Two pairs would allow for backup if one lamp quits.

CNC Dan

Enlightened
andrewj said:
hi folks - I am new to the forum - I came out of general interest in lights, but now I have a real problem that only you guys can help with! I have a 1960s bulldozer that is still run once a week on my little farm. I can't do without it. I am often moving the vehicle quite a ways across the property after dark, and rely on my lights. Both the front and rear burned out. They are 24 volt lights. The replacement lights from Komatsu are very expensive, and don't put out that much light anyway. I can't find a 24 volt light bulb at Napa, autozone, carquest, or wal mart (haha)

Surely there is a flood light LED that can live with 24 volts? Any help would be appreciated. I can solder and have very basic electronics understanding. thanks again.

Look for forklift parts. They have lights in 12v, 24v, 36v, and 48v.
Usualy good for high vibration apps.