Newbie with a question

kuanomar

Newly Enlightened
I am a knife and gun nut who really does not need another addiction. But.. it's begun. It started with a surefire G something rather, then an e1e, then a U2. I figured that was it. But then I discovered Fenix. Picked up one of those AA L1's then a two-stage one, then a P1. Then I discovered Jetbeam. I picked up a AAA MkI ,then a AA Jet1 MKII. I thought that was it, then I here about this Cree technology that's supposed to blow away the 'older' stuff. I have a feeling this is not going to end.

SO my question is really about this new Cree technology. Is it really that much better than the 'older' LED's in my 'old' flashlights?

I don't really understand all those graphs in the posts I've read. There are too many acronyms and not enough keys for me. The pictures don't really look that different to me. I'm not saying they're bad posts, I just don't really know what I'm looking for. The rings and donuts don't really stand out to me.

With knives, you may get a new steel here and there, but the jump in performance is usually marginal at best and there is always a trade off (higher hardness = more brittle or less stainless). The lights I read about just get brighter, last longer on smaller batteries. It seems there's no real trade off.

I'm not complaining, all the lights I've picked up are quite good and the Jetbeams are amazing. Actually, the Jetbeams are outstanding. I actually picked the MKII because of a review done here. It's really hard to imagine a single AA light being THAT much brighter than this light and last so much longer.

Thanks for all the great info. I plan to learn more and more to feed my new and welcomed addiction.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
kuanomar said:
I thought that was it, then I here about this Cree technology that's supposed to blow away the 'older' stuff. I have a feeling this is not going to end.

SO my question is really about this new Cree technology. Is it really that much better than the 'older' LED's in my 'old' flashlights?

I don't really understand all those graphs in the posts I've read. There are too many acronyms and not enough keys for me. The pictures don't really look that different to me. I'm not saying they're bad posts, I just don't really know what I'm looking for. The rings and donuts don't really stand out to me.

With knives, you may get a new steel here and there, but the jump in performance is usually marginal at best and there is always a trade off (higher hardness = more brittle or less stainless). The lights I read about just get brighter, last longer on smaller batteries. It seems there's no real trade off.
When it comes to steel, difference is that the steel is already quite a mature product. The processes of making the steel have been perfected to the point that now, most new developments are essentially "tweaking" and come with drawbacks as you pointed out. Another example is the incandescent light bulb, which has basically been perfected over the last 100 years to the point where any changes result in a series of tradeoffs.

White LEDs for use in flashlights (as opposed to small indicator lights), are less than 15 years old, so there is still huge room for improvement in efficiency. Efficiency improvements do essentially produce nothing but benefits -- longer runtime, brighter output, less waste heat to manage. Eventually though this efficiency will approach theoretical physical limitations (wouldn't 250 lumen/watt white LEDs that produce almost no heat be nice...), at which point the LEDs will become a mature technology similar to the knives.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cree XR-E can use the same amount of power as a common Luxeon, but it's twice as efficient, which results in twice the output. This is no exaggeration - the output really is doubled! Of course, I'm speaking in terms of output measurable by a lux meter or other equipment, not the human eye (which perceives brightness logarithmically).

kuanomar

Newly Enlightened
I can already tell that I have much to learn. I guess the frustration comes from purchasing lights that are almost immediately surpassed in performance by newer lights at similar price points. I don't regret getting the jetbeams, but I almost wish I'd waited.

Most of my knives are in the 150.00 range. Anything past that and you experience diminishing returns. I use almost all my knives. So, performance, reliability and durability are paramount. If I could get a knife at 300 and double the performance, I probably would. That's why I keep upgrading flashlights. You can greatly increase performance at little additional cost. But you're right, steel is about as good as it's gonna get. These lights will keep on getting better and better.

2xTrinity, you answered my question very well. Thank you.

My next question. How can I get a Jetbeam with Cree technology? Or, are there any other lights with Cree at a similar price point that compare well to Jetbeam?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanna hear my incredible insightful 2cents? (sense) well do you?

Ok here it is honestly for actual use if your flashlight is good for what you use it for and you do not need any extra light and in some cases extra light will be a problem then no the new tech. cree's seoul's and HOLA lights are not better. But then again being a flashoholic more light is more light and we want more light. But honestly for true casual use a light that you have and use well will not really do much more than be brighter for you wether that makes yoru job easier is weither that is the best option for upgrades.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kmar, welcome to CPF. Although the Crees are brighter, if you purchased a Luxeon light that fulfilled its intended purpose, then I'd be happy with that light.

vtran96

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have beamshots or links to beamshots of the Cree versus say the Surefire 6P or 9P? I'm interested. I have a PL X3 and was wondering if I should replace it with something more efficient.

Thanks in advance.

kuanomar

Newly Enlightened
The Jetbeams seem to be great lights. I put the AAA on my key chain and carry the AA in my pocket (wish it had a clip). Then I have a photon freedom on a chain around my neck. That pretty much covers my EDC lights. I have a U2 on my bed stand and use it when hunting. I know it's easy to find bigger, brighter lights, but I'm really trying to find the smallest, bright light for EDC. If there stock, after this post I'm going to go to fenix-store and pick up a P1 CE.

I'm just going to have to accept this addiction.

Hi, I'm Omar and I'm flashlight-aholic.

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
If you wonder if the cree-xre is really worth it or not, take a look at some comparisons. Stock L1p is on the left and MM L1P XRE is on the right. Not a completely fair comparison because it's a driver upgrade as well as a emitter upgrade, but you get a good idea what kind of difference is possible.

StockL1Ptagged.jpg
MML1PXREtagged.jpg

and for those wondering how it stacks up against an incandescent here's a Surefire 6P w/ P61 on the left and a Maxfire on the right, just keep in mind for those that are unfamiliar with the L1p that it runs over 1 hour on only 1 AA battery.
Surefire_6P_P61tagged.jpg
Maxfire_LXtagged.jpg