New battery type..any good?

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
What do you electronic geniuses know about the new lithium battery by http://www.a123systems.com./ It is supposed to generate 3.3 volts and 2.3 amp-hours...that would be 7.59 watt/hours and only weights 70 grams. It is supposed to be much safer than the regular Lithium Ions as well. Sounds to go to be true. I would think that this would be a great rechargable flashlight battery...no?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've read in the past, one of their claims to fame is fast charging (and discharging, which means very low internal impedance). As fast as five minute charge time according to their website. But what does this mean? Suppose C=2AH. To charge in 5 minutes requires a charge rate of 12C=24A! You're talking serious current. However, they are also supposed to be intrinsically safer and even if you charge in half an hour, the charge current is about 4A which is very feasible. The low impedance makes them very attractive for RC use and of course, our high current hotwire mods.

They claim that big corporations like Motorola, Qualcomm among others have equity stake in the privately held company.

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid that some "big oil company" will buy them up like they have other battery companies.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
If you go an buy a DeWalt 36V power tool, you will have a good supply of these cells. I believe there is 10 in each battery pack.

Tom