Minimag and Cree XR-E, together at last!

crampedson

Newly Enlightened
Minimag Cree XR-E mod (mostly) completed!

I finally managed fit a Cree XR-E into a Minimag body. A BB400 was modified to a BB670 using a coil of resistive wire (no BB750s in stock at the time). This was stuck on with garden variety superglue to the non comductive side of a one-sided copper PCB which acts as a ground plate.

A Cree P4 bin was soldered to the Cree PCB and a 50-50 mix of silicone thermal paste and epoxy used to adhere the PCB to to the mag body.

The stock reflector was replaced with a temporary mounting of two cheap plastic lenses to get the required focal length.

Still waiting on a Terralux clickie and some decent optics like the 22mm aspheric Amonra plans to sell to get a better throw.

IM000773.jpg

Body

IM000770.jpg

Head

IM000765.jpg

Cree :) mounted on PCB.

IM000742.jpg

Optics (notice the dodgy trimming on the lenses)

IM000747.jpg

Flood beam at 4m

IM000745.jpg

Spot beam at 4m

IM000750.jpg

Building about 20m away

IM000758.jpg

Building about 80-100m away (The lit tree is a lot closer)

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
nice work dude, would be good if u resized the images a little smaller which will help load faster too :) love that intense spot shot!

I think the 80-100m shot has the entire spot lighting the entire side of the house, hence no noticeable spot profile.

Last edited:

crampedson

Newly Enlightened
Glire, the picture is meant to show that it doesn't throw far... yet. The "spot" is a very faintly visible square about the size of the building.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crampedson - Recently, I had commented to you in the previous thread related to this idea, basically suggesting that it may be more trouble than it's worth for what I thought you were looking for. Well, it hasn't been very long since then, and you already have a working model. A pretty effective one at that!

Now I'm no big fan of diamond shaped die projections, but I must say that this is quite a cool mod, and I'm glad you did it. Great work!

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
very nice!!!, the diamond shape projection can be pulled out by difusing the led lens, and having the relector direct it all to the optic. I think you may have something very nice here shortly with some more work :D

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
dur, i should have read that up top, if u can figure out a way to have the relector mounted to the head, and as you screw the head in and out, that will help with the focus, and increase output. then you can use a narrower optic which will increase throw

BBL

Enlightened
crampedson, how would you rate the throw, compared to maybe a KL1 or other luxeon I / III lights?

crampedson

Newly Enlightened
Oooh, that's a hard question, my only luxeon based light is a Superfire Luxeon V. Compared to that, the throw's about the same so far.

crampedson

Newly Enlightened
I used two lenses sandwiched together from a cheap Chinese dual LED light. That's the reason for the ring of light near the edge of the flood.