Fenix P1D-CE Battery Problem???

stealthflash

Newly Enlightened
Finally got my black P1D-CE and I love the small size and good paint job. When I first turned it on i thought it was fairly bright but thought that something was just not right. After first going through all the brightness settings i could only barely tell the difference with the primary and low setting but saw no difference with primary and max. At first i just thought my eyes were decieving me so I compared the beam to my Inova T4. Both primary and max were noticably weaker than the T4 and I just felt dissapointed with my new light. :awman:

Finally, i decided to change the battery and thought maybe that was the problem. The battery I was using was a brand new lithium CR-123A Powerizer and i changed it to a Duracell Lithium and boy was i surprised. The moment i turned it on Primary was brighter than my T4 and the Max setting just blew it away. I could finally tell the difference in brightness between all the levels and now i am so happy with the P1D-CE. :grin2:

Anyone know whats wrong with that battery becuase i tried two of the same brand (Powerizer) and had the same problem. What are good CR-123A's that are less expensive than the duracell because I am never buying Powerizer again. :thumbsdow

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are good CR-123A's that are less expensive than the duracell because I am never buying Powerizer again.

Energizer's & Panasonic's can all be found for decent prices on "teh interweb".
smile.gif

CFU

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi stealthflash,

Evidently you were using the Powerizer _primary_ Lithium CR123 cell when you did not detect much difference between levels on the P1D-CE. FWIW, I have very little info on the primary, non-rechargeable CR123 cells, Powerizer included. I recommend that you peruse SilverFox's CR123 tests as found in the sticky:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/67078

I do know from my experience that the _rechargeable_ Li-Ion 3.0v RCR123 Powerizer cells are some of the best in their 3.0v class. Nevertheless, in my testing with Fenix P1s, none of the rechargeable 3.0v or 3.7v RCR123 cells came close to their rated capacity. I also have no idea how the capacity of any RCR123 cell was determined.

Tim

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
stealthflash said:
Anyone know whats wrong with that battery becuase i tried two of the same brand (Powerizer) and had the same problem. What are good CR-123A's that are less expensive than the duracell because I am never buying Powerizer again. :thumbsdow

Just tested a couple of unused Powerizers (primary CR123A) I've had lying around since this past summer, and my P1DCE works fine with them - all modes work, and no difference in output from my new Energizers or Surefire primaries.

Odd problem, you must have a bad batch of Powerizers? Of course, I've switched lately to Energizer/Surefires, as they don't cost much more than Powerizers and seem to be of higher build quality and run longer. I've found lighthound to be a good source ...

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
selfbuilt said:
Just tested a couple of unused Powerizers (primary CR123A) I've had lying around since this past summer, and my P1DCE works fine with them - all modes work, and no difference in output from my new Energizers or Surefire primaries.

Odd problem, you must have a bad batch of Powerizers? Of course, I've switched lately to Energizer/Surefires, as they don't cost much more than Powerizers and seem to be of higher build quality and run longer. I've found lighthound to be a good source ...
I've been using my P1D-CE with 3.0V rechargeables. I tried a Surefirew primary - and yes it's brighter all round. I think it's probably due to the primary battery being able to deliver more current. Evidence to support this? The rechargeable 3.0V cells in my HDS U60 cause it to drop down a level after 2-3 minutes. This doesn't happen with 3.6V rechargeables or primaries.