Newbie looking for a good GP light

sawlight

Enlightened
Well I missed out on the Jetfire, so the hunt goes on. I have done the over the counter mods to the maglights 2aa and 2aaa, decent and I was rather impressed for the money. My two year old liked them a lot as well, none of them have held up to his abuse! I now have my surefire e2w that hopeful he will never get his hands on. I was thinking of converting it to led, but really like the incand light more than I thought I would. I also have a Streamlight tt 3aa, nice light, but too long to cary in you're pocket well.

What I am looking for:
Single cell aa or 123 (I like the arc, but my hands a large and beat up, it's just to small for me)
Two stage would be nice, something like 10 on low, 20-30 on high.
I don't need SOS or strobe, don't really like them either.
I am not a big fan of the twist on/off, but will learn to deal.
It MUST be rugged, the two year old first off, and I do construction work, water/dirt/sand/concrete etc.
Price, I would like to stay $30ish?

Hope I didn't open a can of worms, Thanks guys!

sawlight

Enlightened
I saw the L1s, nice light, just a twist on/off. Would like a push switch, but.............

sawlight

Enlightened
Nice features TIP AND RING!!! I liked the waterproof to 10 metters!! But a lot big for what I am after. I never know what I will run into, so it's nice to be able to carry the light and a spare battery in my pocket or a small sheath.
Good sugestions so far though, hadn't seen that last one at all!

jled

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Civictor V1. $27.00 shipped from the Fenix- Store.com. Probably the best value for a quality light.

Last edited:

sawlight

Enlightened
Missed you're post MattK, nice light, what is the run time on the Ultrafire?

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I am pretty sure the Fenix L1S is a click switch. You turn the head for high or low. If nothing else the L1T is a clicky. AA means you can run inexpensive rechargeables.

sawlight

Enlightened
You are correct Any Cal.!! I dropped the ball on that! Liking this light more all the time, I really like the ten hour run time on low. Hmmmmmmmmm................
The Civicvictor looked nice, just was hopeing for more run time.

dyyys1

Enlightened
In my experience, Fenix makes an excellent light. They are not as rugged as
Surefire, but for the money they are excellent lights. I second the reccomendation for a Fenix.

sawlight

Enlightened
Another stupid question, I have no idea what the labeling is for led's, is the $10 for the t-bin worth it for what I am going to do to justify the L1T?

sawlight

Enlightened
I am trying to get in on round two of the jetbeam GB, if I can't get in I will most likely get the Fenix. Thanks for all of the ideas.