When's the P1D CE getting its new reflector?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to pick up a P1D-CE, but I odn't want a ringy beam. 7777 posted the poll about reflector prefs. The question is, how long until the update will be released? A month or two? I would imagine we'd all be merely speculating, but I have a feeling someone knows! :thinking:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was wondering the same thing. i am looking hard at this light, but i am not sure yet.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
easilyled said:
I'm hoping for a Titanium P1D CE with clickie button and light
orange-peel reflector. :whistle:

that is THE only reason i am holding off... lack of a clicky. i've been looking for a small, multi-stage clicky light with a cree, and that can use r123s. Nothing is out yet.

-david

JohnF

Enlightened
I've got no rings at all, even aimed at a white wall. I can see a couple of lines in the hotspot against a white wall, though. I'd prefer a medium spatter on the reflector as well - installing a medium diffuser lens today for a bit less hotspot and hopefully more useful spill. I don't need or want a tiny light to be a 'throw monster'.

John F
LV, NV

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
JohnF said:
I don't need or want a tiny light to be a 'throw monster'.

Nor do I. I think it's silly to want a tiny little light to perform like a long range search light. Small pocket lights get most of their use at close range anyway, so a wider less intense hotspot with brighter spill is more useful.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
Nor do I. I think it's silly to want a tiny little light to perform like a long range search light. Small pocket lights get most of their use at close range anyway, so a wider less intense hotspot with brighter spill is more useful.

That's exactly how I always looked at it too......until I actually bought this light and got spoiled. The spill is already really bright and useful, and the extra throw is coming in much handier to me than I would've guessed before I bought it. If I had had a choice, I would've opted for a stippled reflector, but now that I've used this one, I've changed my opinion.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stingray said:
That's exactly how I always looked at it too......until I actually bought this light and got spoiled. The spill is already really bright and useful, and the extra throw is coming in much handier to me than I would've guessed before I bought it. If I had had a choice, I would've opted for a stippled reflector, but now that I've used this one, I've changed my opinion.

I've got quite a few lights that have a lot of throw, but one of my favorite lights for up close use is still my Nuwai TM303x (Q3). I would love a beam like that from the P1D CE.

Last summer I went for a walk and took a light that had an IMS S027XA reflector in it. It was all throw with little flood, and the intense hotspot actually caused all the other surrounding stuff to become hard to see since my pupils had to adjust to the bright hotspot. That just solidified my opinion that throw is completely overrated unless you actually need it for long distance illumination. I don't. If I did I sure wouldn't be using a tiny single 123 light for the job.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
so a wider less intense hotspot with brighter spill is more useful.

Put some tape over the window then.

There are enough of those with the Lux V lights and the multi-5mm lights. I want the one-cell mega-brightness pocket-throw-monster that works as a production piece. The P1D CE finally brings 2-cell brightness and throw to a one-cell form factor. It's hot as it is; don't cool it off.

Good to see a company respond to the wants of (some)of its users though.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
It was all throw with little flood, and the intense hotspot actually caused all the other surrounding stuff to become hard to see since my pupils had to adjust to the bright hotspot. That just solidified my opinion that throw is completely overrated unless you actually need it for long distance illumination.

The difference is that the PID-CE has throw AND flood. There is no major pupil adjustment needed for the transition from hot spot to spill compared to the SO27XA light.

Since I only EDC carry this light and a photon lately, it's very helpful to have throw and flood in the same tiny light. I wouldn't mind a beamshaper type accessory as well though.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
spoonrobot said:
Put some tape over the window then.

There are enough of those with the Lux V lights and the multi-5mm lights. I want the one-cell mega-brightness pocket-throw-monster that works as a production piece. The P1D CE finally brings 2-cell brightness and throw to a one-cell form factor. It's hot as it is; don't cool it off.

Good to see a company respond to the wants of (some)of its users though.

I'd rather not use a silly method of beam shaping when it could be done from the factory the correct way.

Lights light the Huntlight FT01XSE use medium textured reflectors yet I don't see anyone complaining that they dont have enough throw. What I do see are a lot of people posting about how perfectly smooth the beam is.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Once we can use the two versions side by side for awhile, we'll know more about the pros and cons of each.