Introducing: Cree XR-E Turbo LED Module - updated!

wquiles

Flashaholic
Somebody here in the forums said it could not be done. That it was impossible to create because the Cree XR-E die was too big. Etc. Etc.. There is nothing more exciting than trying out something that is supposed not to be possible :drool:

Edit: Here is the rest of the photos. I am not done adjusting the LED for optimum throw, but I am getting closer ;)

As somebody below pointed out, I had to make a turbo module from scratch. I was able to make all operations from one side, except making the LED pedestal "flat":
IMG_8593.JPG

IMG_8594.JPG

IMG_8595.JPG

IMG_8596.JPG

IMG_8598.JPG

IMG_8600.JPG

I had to go back and make things "flat" :naughty:
IMG_8602.JPG

IMG_8603.JPG

From left to right (EDIT: To clarify, I only made the last two on the right):
5W LED Luxeon Turbo Module, not yet used 5W LED Lusexon Turbo Module, First prototype of new Luxeon Turbo Module (a tad long so that I can play with it), even longer prototype of the Cree XR-E Turbo LED Module:
IMG_8653.JPG

Of course the electronics cavity was designed around the converters from the Shoppe and the FluPIC:
IMG_8654.JPG

The "key" to make this work is to file the Cree XR-E die while preserving enough to make the electrical connections:
IMG_8661.JPG

Did I mentioned that making those connections was hard?
IMG_8662.JPG

Here I am all done and testing it with just 150mA or so, outside the KT4 and inside the KT4:
IMG_8664.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

I then used a Shoope Downboy 750 to complete the light, along with the outer spring from a blown P60 bulb and an inner spring from "something" in my workshop that happen to fit OK ;)
IMG_8683.JPG

IMG_8690.JPG

Here are the beamshots. Please note that I am not yet done focusing the Cree yet. I made the post longer so that I can use shims to get it to the "sweet" spot, but that will take some additional time :naughty:

First is the Cree XR-E at 750mA, at 2 seconds exposure:
IMG_8692.JPG

Then the 5W Luxeon, at about 700mA, at 2 seconds exposure.
IMG_8694.JPG

Same as above, but at 1 second exposure. First is the Cree XR-E then the 5W Luxeon:
IMG_8693.JPG

IMG_8695.JPG

Note on these shots above that the Cree has brighter sidebeam but that the 5W has a more intense hotspot. As I said above, I still need to play with the Cree to see what is the best I can achieve.

I then took some outdoor shots. In these it is easier to see the brighter sidebeam on the Cree.

First the Cree:
IMG_8698.JPG

then the 5W Luxeon:
IMG_8699.JPG

I will play some more this week to further focus the Cree to see what is the best it can be in this reflector :D

Will

Last edited:

ianb

Enlightened
Re: Introducing: Cree XR-E Turbo LED Module

A cree in a turbo head, awesome!

I have been waiting for a throw application for the cree's

I look forward to the results :popcorn:

Ian :)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where do I send the Paypal funds? ;)

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking forward to seeing your results Will.

Looks like you turned your own tower module as well, nice work!

wquiles

Flashaholic
I just posted my initial results. So far I have more sidebeam than on the 5W Luxeon, but I have not spent much time yet trying to shim the Cree XR-E to see what it can do. I hope to have some more time this week to play with it and take additional beamshots :naughty:

Will

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny.......a forum member said it could'nt be done :) I suppose your referring to me :)

Nice work :)

Anything can be done but some things are easier than others :) How did you file down the emmitter?

Mac

wquiles

Flashaholic
cmacclel said:
Funny.......a forum member said it could'nt be done :) I suppose your referring to me :)

Nice work :)

Anything can be done but some things are easier than others :) How did you file down the emmitter?

Mac
Thanks Mac :eek:

It could have been you - but I don't remember who it was. Whomever said it, he was right about not fitting "as is". Getting this to fit was definitely not easy to do (specially the soldering!), and I am not done adjusting it yet :grin2:

I used a small diamond file and lots of measuring/cutting, measuring/cutting, etc., until it fit inside the reflector in the KT4. I am keeping notes so that I can repeat it later :)

Will

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah baby...that's what I'm talkin about...Will you're the master, that unit is absolute perfection...:bow:

Hey Mac...:nana:.....:crackup:

Thanks for sharing, and the photos are awesome too...

TB

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job and nice machining... :D

Looks like until u get the sweetspot, the luxV has a much nicer hotspot. I think the spill of the LuxV is already very impressive as it is; the Cree seems to share its light more to the spill, maybe because of the beam angle which doesn't throw everything at the reflector, and thus reducing the hotspot intensity.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thanks for the comments guys :eek:

Well, I was able to play more with the shims today. I can get it to de-focus on each direction, but the best focus still results in beamshots like the ones above. Basically, it is focused as good as I can with this reflector. I am thinking that given the narower exit angle of the Cree XR-E that I can't get enough light "on" the reflector to help that hotspot get any better. If this were perhaps a deeper reflector and/or if the exit angle were wider (like on the Luxeon LED's), it might work better.

For now, the best thing about this beam is that the sidebeam is very nice, and that I am getting light output on par with the 5W module, at roughly half of the power . This Turbo LED Module gives more of a flood light than a throw monster as I was hoping.

I went back to the Special Cree XR-E light that I did for LifeNRA and got some of the beamshots I got, which use the very deep smooth Dorcy reflector. Here is a comparison of these lights - all at 2 sec exposures.

First is the Cree XR-E at 750mA:
IMG_8692.JPG

Cree Dorcy, High:
IMG_7554.JPG

Then the 5W Luxeon, at about 700mA.
IMG_8694.JPG

I then took some outdoor shots.

First the Cree:
IMG_8698.JPG

Cree Dorcy, High:
IMG_7565.JPG

then the 5W Luxeon:
IMG_8699.JPG

Note that since I am driving the Cree harder (750mA) on the Turbo LED module compared to the (500mA or so for the Dorcy mod) that the overal output of the Cree Turbo LED Module is higher - just that this KT4 reflector can't put more of that light in the "center" ;)

Will

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
I will be ordering some of the new Seoul P4's from the Shoppe and create a new HS for them. Hopefully the wider beam on the Seoul's will be a better match for the KT4 Turbo Head ;)

Will

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
I will be ordering some of the new Seoul P4's from the Shoppe and create a new HS for them. Hopefully the wider beam on the Seoul's will be a better match for the KT4 Turbo Head ;)

Will

Yup, I have a Turbo Module and a KT4 waiting for my SSC P4`s from the Shoppe. Should be fun to try the combo out.:grin2: I am amazed you were able to fit that Cree in there.:goodjob:

Thanks for sharing the info on what you did and with all the great pics as well!:)

Ken

wquiles

Flashaholic
kenster said:
Yup, I have a Turbo Module and a KT4 waiting for my SSC P4`s from the Shoppe. Should be fun to try the combo out.
Is it a Turbo Module made for the SSC P4?

I ask since everything I read from McGizmo states that the Seoul needs to be positioned 0.030" above a normal Luxeon - at least that is my current understanding :candle:

My current plan is to create a new/longer HS just for the P4 and find the optimum focus point, just like I did for the Cree ;)

Will

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
Is it a Turbo Module made for the SSC P4?

I ask since everything I read from McGizmo states that the Seoul needs to be positioned 0.030" above a normal Luxeon - at least that is my current understanding :candle:

My current plan is to create a new/longer HS just for the P4 and find the optimum focus point, just like I did for the Cree ;)

Will

All of the Turbo Modules I have are made to focus with a Luxeon. I haven`t seen a SSC P4 except for pictures. I`ll play with focusing when I get mine but I feel 99.99% sure McGizmo is dead on with removing .030" to focus. Yup, just can`t trust that McGizmo guy 100%. :shrug: His flashlights are awesome but I found out the batteries go dead in his lights just like the el cheapo lights so he lost the .01% for that let down.:rolleyes: Hehe! Anyway, I`m not opposed to removing .030" off the reflector in my KT4 to get the SSC P4 to focus better but I believe I will start with the Mcr series reflectors first. If I mess one up, they are el cheapo reflectors compared to the KT4. Ooops! I mean they cost less! :rock: Great value!:thumbsup: Bang for your buck! :grin2: ..... I like`m a lot.:sweat:

Ken:laughing:

Latest posts