Digital Mechanical (flip type) Alarm Clocks

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a mechanical digital alarm clock/radio a while ago but I broke it in the year 2000 trying to "modify" it. Mine was made by Soundsign sometime in the 70's or early 80's

Also, anyone know the make/model of the clock radio in the movie "Groundhog Day" ? It appears to be a Panasonic (and you could catch a glimps of Panasonic during the scene where he smashes it with his fist) but I'm trying to figure out the model.

Anyone else have an alarm clock like this ?

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Digital Mechanical Alarm Clock

you mean those ones with the big stack of numbers like a rolladex that flip over as the drum rotates displaying numerals? Had a couple a loong time ago, but they fell apart (the numbers) within a year or two.. they were very cool though.
Now I have a Tix digital electronic led clock.

wylde21

Newly Enlightened

Are you asking about mechanical flip clocks (alarms)? If so they were from the late 70's/early 80s and Panasonics had part numbers RC6XXX (example: RC6551 or RC6236). These are always available on ebay (search "Panasonic clock") for about $15-$50, depending on model and shape.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks; yes, I am talking about the mechanical "flip" type digital clocks. I did a search on Ebay as wylde21 said and I think I found the clock used in Groundhog Day by coincidence. It's appears to be the Panasonic model RC6030 but in white vs woodgrain. Panasonic seems to begin all their alarm clock radios model numbers with "RC" though.

groundhogdayclock.jpg

GroundhogDaysmashclock.jpg

RC6030.jpg

CJaguar265

Newly Enlightened
My backlight bulb went out in my Panasonic RC-6030. it takes a "Panasonic XAMR58S150". I do know Panasonic still makes this bulb. But what type of bulb is it? Where do I get in stores? radio shack said they need to know the bulb type, the base type, voltage it uses, the watts not the panasonic model number of the bulb or clock

i would like to get an led upgrade bulb that goes right in place

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
CJaguar265, many of these clocks used a Neon indicator bulb to light the clock area, my Soundsign had a very large one that looked like a mini-Chirstmas light bulb on flying leads positioned under the flip cards and connected to where the 120 volt cord came into the case.

The groundhog day clock, I was told, had some low voltage incandescant lamps installed by the movie producers. Incandescant lamps are generally not used for lighting such clocks.

CJaguar265

Newly Enlightened
thank you for the info but thats not what i am asking. i am asking what type of bulb is "Panasonic XAMR58S150" that i need for replacement for my Panasonic RC-6030

JaceEli

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]With all modes of transport being crowded to day, it is important that one should have an alarm clock that wakes one up with a gentle and silent vibration without disturbing the rest of the people who are traveling with you. It is the best travel companion for all short and long-haul trips for businessmen and frequent travelers. It is compact enough to be kept it under the pillow or in the pocket. Take a look at: www.shakeawake.com for more information.[/FONT]