PK Design Lab
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Apple iPhone officially announced!

Default Re: Apple iPhone officially announced!

I can't find the link right now, but there is an adapter out there that lets you use your decent headphones with the iPhone. I think its a belkin or something. Just looks like a 1-1.5" long flexible jack extension that has a very small diameter around the plug so it will fit in the hole. Its a real shame that you are forced to use an adpater like this to use real headphones, but i'd be ordering this adapter instantly if I decided to get the iPhone.

The stock apple headphones are fine, assuming the ones that came with it are similar to the ones that came with my nano, but my $15 Koss KSC75 are probably twice as good, and i'm sure a lot of people buy better headphones than I do. Its not like you are going to be using nice wireless bluetooth headphones, since it doesn't support the A2DP profile.

Enjoy the iPhone. Despite all the shortcomings, its a really nice looking device that does a lot of things phones should have been doing for years.

** Found the link, http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...er-for-iphone/ **

schiesz
    Last edited by schiesz; 06-30-2007 at 11:53 PM. Reason: found the link for headphone adapter

I"m seriously considering taking my drill press to the headphone jack and seeing if I can increase it's size a mm or so. It doesn't SEEM that any important structures are above the headphone jack there in the outer case

I probably wont do that today though...

Did I mention that it's the best browsing of any device that size. Just really neat!
    -James

E=sqrt((mc^2)^2+(pc)^2)

Flashaholic

To me, one of the most exciting things about the iPhone is the potential changes it portends for the next generation of iPods. I've got an old mini and just bought a shuffle to use while walking, and I really like them both. But for travel, I'd like a 'bigger' (ie, more storage) unit. I've been holding off on buying a video iPod just hoping the Apple will abandon the 'glossy' finish on the larger ones ... but now, I'm hoping that the entire 'face' of the iPod will change; bigger screen, touch controls, etc.

Oh yeah, and I hope this also forces improvements in other smartphones ... time will tell.

Flashaholic

Iphone does not work with Windows XP 64 or Vista 64. Apples advice "downgrade your operating system to 32 bit". Complete idiots!

Many people are not having any luck with activation, rendering the phone as useless. Apples advice "talk to AT&T". Good luck with AT&T.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by SoundMix View Post
    Many people are not having any luck with activation, rendering the phone as useless. Apples advice "talk to AT&T". Good luck with AT&T.
    It seems people are seeing extreme delays transferring their numbers from other carriers. Apparently the carriers are getting flooded with transfer requests. The advice is to sign up with a new number, then transfer the number later.

Phredd

Quote Originally Posted by Aloft View Post
    To me, one of the most exciting things about the iPhone is the potential changes it portends for the next generation of iPods. I've got an old mini and just bought a shuffle to use while walking, and I really like them both. But for travel, I'd like a 'bigger' (ie, more storage) unit. I've been holding off on buying a video iPod just hoping the Apple will abandon the 'glossy' finish on the larger ones ... but now, I'm hoping that the entire 'face' of the iPod will change; bigger screen, touch controls, etc.
    As long as you can wait for a while, this is a good approach. Apple will try to milk its iPhone sales as long as possible before bringing out a new iPod that has the full screen. To do otherwise would cut into potential iPhone sales, and they are not about to do that... How long before we see a full screen iPod? It might be a full year, but this is anybodies guess.

schiesz

yea, activation was slow. I got to the part in the process wher AT&T would activate the phone and it stalled. I got a message that it would take more time and that I would receive an email when it was done. This is all rather frustrating because you can't do ANYTHING with the phone until it's activated. About 30 seconds later my old phone beeped at me to tell me that it had been deactivated but it took them another 5 hours to send me the email telling me I could continue the process and finish. It came in about 3 in the morning. I reconnected and boom it was finally working.

Just goes to show that no matter how prepared a phone company is for something, they are too recalcitrant to actually fix anything before it's broken...

And iTunes doesn't run on Vista 64 yet, which is why you can't use an iPhone with it. Unfortunately for the early adopters of the 64bit version of vista you're still in enough of a minority that not everything has been updated yet. But dont worry, they will get to you

So far I continue to play with the thing constantly... Pretty happy overall. Now we wait to figure out how to develop for the dumb thing.
    -James

E=sqrt((mc^2)^2+(pc)^2)

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd View Post
    It seems people are seeing extreme delays transferring their numbers from other carriers. Apparently the carriers are getting flooded with transfer requests. The advice is to sign up with a new number, then transfer the number later.Phredd
    I guess what I should have said is according to Computerworld.com, some people cannot activate at all. When they try to activate they are told they do not have a proper account or something. A total NO GO.

Your mileage may vary.

Smile Re: Apple iPhone officially announced!

Quote Originally Posted by SoundMix View Post
    I guess what I should have said is according to Computerworld.com, some people cannot activate at all. When they try to activate they are told they do not have a proper account or something. A total NO GO.

Your mileage may vary.
    New owners have to register through an iTunes account.
    If people try to register without first setting up a free iTunes account they will be unable to register their phones. For people who do have iTunes, AT&T's server was overloaded for awhile so some people had to wait hours for the registration to complete. This happened to a good friend of mine.
    She just went about her daily business and checked on the phone periodically. When it was done, the computer and phone told her activation was complete.

Take Care,
    mtbkndad

There is always issues like this with a whole new platform, and a delay in activation given the avalanche of new sold out numbers is not out of line. I'm waiting for the next gen that has the updated chip to give it better cell network capability that was restricted in this first gen chip. Also more memory. It is revolutionary. I'm glad I bought Apple stock when I did.

I'm jealous, James.

Flashaholic*

Two analysts estimate sales last weekend of 500,000 and 525,000. Not a bad start...