FREEZING RAIN!!!

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
For the next three days we are suppose to have freezing rain! :grin2: Im really hoping for a power outage. I have not had one since i became addic...I mean since i started collecting lights. :whistle:

For those that have been through power outages what is the primary light you have used? If the power does go out ill most likely use Arc aaa-p, L1, orb raw, or L1p.

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
Actually had to use a cheap plastic 2D incan during the '03 Northeast power outage. Scrounged up some D cells long forgotten about in a few tape players to make it work. The switch was broken so it would stay on unless you unsrew the assembly. It was way better than nothing because I live in a 17 story apartment building and I'm on the 16th floor. Elevators weren't working so we had to take the stairs. Hallways and stairwell were both pitch black. Candles work mighty fine as well around the house.

Culhain

Enlightened
During a power outage I place a couple of Gerber IUs around the house for navigation. My Brunton Glorb lantern gets used in the living room and the kitchen at meal time. A NiteIze MiniMag is hung from the dining room light fixture over the table.

For personal lights indoors I carry an Inova X1 and X5.

In my experience, the novelty of a power outage quickly turns into an annoyance. A few long running lights simply make the outage less of an inconveinance.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Freezing rain and power outages can be dangerous and life threatening to many, especially the elderly. Not sure why some people wish for them, personally, I find other ways to use my flashlights, and pray for no power outages.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I am seeing there is to be some icy winter weather soon. I hope there is no outage but the powerlines are above ground here and ice will always causes trouble. My lights will come out and play if the power is on or off.

taiji

Enlightened
I hope you guys will be okay. My parents live in OKC and I had just put in the mail a D-mini for my dad and a Fenix P1 for my mom.

LOBOLUMENS

Newly Enlightened
redskins38 said:
For the next three days we are suppose to have freezing rain! :grin2: Im really hoping for a power outage. I have not had one since i became addic...I mean since i started collecting lights. :whistle:

For those that have been through power outages what is the primary light you have used? If the power does go out ill most likely use Arc aaa-p, L1, orb raw, or L1p.

Uhh, I hate to do this to you but............... candles.

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
For me, no power means no water (I get it from a well) and no heat (from an electric heat pump). Light is the least of my problems, since it's the most easily solved. Like KE7AYF I use a PT Apex most of all, and supplement it with an HDS U60XRGT.

Just a suggestion:
When the power goes out, look in on your neighbors. Lee1959 makes an important point.

javafool

Enlightened
During the extended hurricane power outages I found the Elektrolumens Blaster and Blaster-1R's to be the most useful hand held flashlights that I own.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
For power outages in the great 3d world I've used Inova X1 and Gerber IU. Long runtime on easy to get cells.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think after watching a commercial I will at some point buy a honda generator for backup power. A 2Kw model should power our entire house on 120 iono maybe even 230.

Bryan

Enlightened
LOBOLUMENS said:
Uhh, I hate to do this to you but............... candles.

Yep, I agree. I love my lights, but I think candles are the best thing in a black out. It really changes the mood into a relaxed, calm state. That is something flashlights can't really do, at least not to me.

I really like that Energizer D cell lantern I keep seeing on here though. That would be perfect for card games and reading.

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Good point about it being a possible hazard, something i really didnt think about at first. So far its sleet and not freezing rain so power is on for now. If it does go out though i am ready.

Yeah i think candles put in safe places would be a good idea. I have always been a little worried about open candles though. Dont like the fact if they are knocked over it could burn things.