• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Knurly Nellie 123

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it was time to try to put everything together that I've been learning about lathing.

I wanted something simple but functional. My inspiration came from Ryoichi Kato, the creator of the KI lights.

A twistie with only three machined parts. Here is the head and the converter housing:
Converter_Head2.jpg

And the converter attached to the single CR123 battery tube:

BattTube_Converter.jpg

And the final assembly--the Knurly Nellie 123, with a friend:

KnurlyNellie_withFriend.jpg

The light, while not yet complete, will be O-ring sealed and have a small stainless steel split ring for a lanyard, but will be tail standable.

Of course, as with any lathe learning experience, mistakes were made, some were correctible, some were not.
biggrin.gif

Hope you like her.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember the light that inspired this because I really liked the look of it when you showed me a pic. Well , I hate to admit it to you but I like yours better!:drool:

Fantastic job Fred! :twothumbs Now, where is that sign up list?:grin2: :popcorn:

Ken

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
kenster said:
I remember the light that inspired this because I really liked the look of it when you showed me a pic. Well , I hate to admit it to you but I like yours better!:drool:

Fantastic job Fred! :twothumbs Now, where is that sign up list?:grin2: :popcorn:

Ken

Ken,

If both lights were placed on a table, I know your hand would gravitate to the the Ti light. :lolsign:

But thanks for the kind words and the ego boost. :D

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonFanatic said:
Ken,

If both lights were placed on a table, I know your hand would gravitate to the the Ti light. :lolsign:

But thanks for the kind words and the ego boost. :D

Your right, there would be no choice.:shrug: I have two hands and I run really fast!:wave: :poof:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome Fred! - just read through most of your lathe thread - wondered what you have been doing lately. Looks great and I think you are on a good track - or at least the idea of making a body with really good knurling has been one of the things I believe makes some of the most desireable lights. Keep up the great work.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice Fred. :rock::goodjob:

I'm going to have to look into those knurling tools. If you were going to buy one today which specific one would you get?

Also what is the gold color on the parts? Is it a chemkote type coating? If so did you do that yourself?

MM

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mirage_Man said:
Very Nice Fred. :rock::goodjob:

I'm going to have to look into those knurling tools. If you were going to buy one today which specific one would you get?

Also what is the gold color on the parts? Is it a chemkote type coating? If so did you do that yourself?

MM

MM,

I'm inclined to recommend either the Quick tools, which I believe are distributed in the U.S. by SPI, or the Zeus tools. Both of those are more expensive than the iFanger tool, but they appear to be more easily adjustable than the iFanger tool, which is what I have.

The "gold" converter housing is just brass. The remainder of the light is 6061AL.