My father and I made a wire-loop game!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know that game where you have to move a wand with a circle on the end along a wiggly length of wire without letting the two touch? Well, my dad and I made one of those a couple hours ago. It took us less than half an hour.

It runs on 1AAA, so the buzzer isn't painfully loud. It draws about 250uA at ~1.3V, on a AAA alk. It was fun and easy to create, and it should also be fun to use! :)

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was pretty simple (a "*" is an optional step):

1. Take a piece of steel wire and bend it into an interesting shape, with a wide base at both ends. I recommend taking a few minutes to plan out the shape of the steel wire.
*2. Put a V-shaped feature on each end and cover it with electrical tape, so you can rest the wand somewhere without having to remove the battery.
3. Solder one end to a buzzer's lead wire.
4. Solder the buzzer's other lead wire to one terminal of a battery carrier (I used 1AAA, but you can use whatever you want). Consider the buzzer's +ve and -ve requirement.
5. Solder the battery carrier's other terminal to a longish wire (I used 16AWG).
*6. Rip everything out of a Bic pen until you just have the tube (you can poke out the head cap by pushing from inside the tube using the steel wire).
*7. Thread the 16AWG or similar wire through the Bic tube.
8. Strip the end of the 16AWG wire and bend it into a little circle.
*9. Attach the end of the Bic tube to the circle's neck with electrical tape so it stays put.
10. Pass the circle over the free end of the steel wire.
11. Insert a battery.

I originally wanted to wire a Nite-Ize PR LED in there as well, but it would need at least two cells, which would make the buzzer too loud.

That little loop goes around the thick line, and if they make contact, the circuit closes.

The 1AAA that I used should last about 4-5 months of constant-on.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
grapplex said:
Man Rule: Men don't play with toys with less than 10 amps, 100 volts or 50 horsepower. If alcohol is involved then all values are tripled. ; )
Well, that rules out most flashlights, electronics, and power tools.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
jds009 said:
Sweet man, thanks, i might use that for a science project ;)
Oh. In that case:

-Battery carrier: Philmore brand, available at Fry's and similar places. They come in many formats. They're dirt cheap.
-Buzzer: Also dirt cheap, I got mine from www.hosfelt.com. In the alphabetical listing on the left, scroll to "Buzzers." Shipping is a bit costly, like around $7.
-Solder is available at Radio Shack, Fry's, etc.
-I used a Weller/Portasol soldering iron. It's butane-powered and heats up quickly, so it's super handy.

I'm using the "Audio Indicator" #EXL-450, because it's the weakest buzzer that I had spares of. It's pretty high-pitched. The "12VDC Super Buzzer" is lower-pitched than the "Audio Indicator," but if you give it enough voltage, like 15-25V, it really screams. It's slightly larger than the "Audio Indicator." You could also use the "Miniature Piezo Audio Transducer," #AL-256K. The listed size is WRONG - it's about the diameter of a quarter ($0.25 piece). It would be quite suitable for this project, though.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fry's Electronics is a huge electronics chain, but I don't think they have any locations in Kansas. Darn.

If you have trouble finding something locally or online, I wouldn't mind helping you out.

By "science project," do you mean for school?

jds009

Enlightened
Hmm...i have never heard of them, so ya...probably none in kansas.
Yep, for school! i dont have one this year cause im taking biology, but i should next year.
Can i find this stuff at like homedepot?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know whether Home Depot will carry these things. They would definitely have the steel wire, and they MIGHT carry the 16AWG (or similar) wire. However, your best bet for electronics is probably Radio Shack.

If a part proves elusive, drop me a PM.