What was your first digital camera?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've been noticing how many people have digital cameras these days, and how they are improving continuously. It just so happens I still have my previously used cameras. The first one I bought used off a friend of mine for $100 back in 1999 or so. It was an Olympus D-320L made in 1997 (I think). About 1 megapixel on it's highest quality setting, about 1/3 megapixel on it's standard quality setting. It uses 4 AA batteries that it eats at an incredible rate, no internal memory, a smartmedia card for storage, (no larger than 8MB can be used), fixed focus, no zoom, no movie capability, and it doesn't even use a USB cable to connect it to my computer, it uses a serial cable or something like that. Surprisingly, it still works, and still takes decent pictures for what it is.

I decided to upgrade around Christmas, 2004 and bought myself a Gateway DC-M42. 4 Megapixels, 11 MB of internal memory, uses SD card for storage, powered by 2AA batteries, can make QVGA movies with sound, autofocus, 3X optical zoom with 2X (I think) digital zoom. I got a free all in one printer/scanner/copier with it for a grand total of $200. Seemed like a good deal. The camera looked good on paper, and in the store, but I should have done some research first. I've never really been satisfied with it. Usually dark pictures when taken indoors, often blurry and out of focus, and it was slow writing the pictures to the SD card.

Then in the summer of 2006 I got fed up with the Gateway and bought a Kodak Z612. It came with a kodak series 3 photo printer for $400. It has 6.1 megapixels, 12X optical zoom with 4.2X digital zoom, auto focus, image stabilization, uses SD card for storage, 32 MB internal memory, makes VGA movies in stereo sound, uses a lithium-ion battery or CRV3 lithium primary battery, lightning-fast writing speed to the memory card compared to my previous cameras, and a large 2.5 inch LCD screen. It takes very good pictures. I think this camera will suit me just fine for a long time. I'm very satisfied with it. The photo printer does a nice job printing pictures, too. Printing each picture costs approximately 31 cents, making it very comparable to taking the memory card to Walgreens and having them do it.

It's amazing how digital cameras keep getting better and better for less money all the time.

So what was your first digital camera? What have you had since then? What do you have now?

coppertrail

Enlightened
Sony DSC-P32 purchased in late 2004 which is now my EDC camera. Second camera was a Kodak CX6330 camera. My latest camera is a Canon PowerShot A620.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My family's first digital camera (purchased jointly by my father and myself) was a Kodak DC265. 1.3MP, 3x zoom, autofocus, CF, 4AA. Really quite nice, considering we used it for about seven years before my dad got a KM DiMAGE X1 for father's day last year. I still use it a bit, but it's started to act up (strange noises from the lens assy, menu exits by itself...).

My first camera, purchased by myself with my own money, with no input from my parents, is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 I got a few weeks ago. I got a 2GB SD card and a Pelican for it, because it comes with a 32MB card but no case. I've been quite pleased with it so far.

watt4

Enlightened
Sony Mavica, 640x480 resolution. it stores the pics on floppy disks. :)

that was very handy.

second one was a 2 MP sony.

most recent is a 4 MP Kodak, 3x optical zoom

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
well im not to much on cameras but i do have one. it is pretty expensive im sure. the only way i got it is i actually found it. and that is no lie i did not steal it so dont get any thoughts. me and my dad were out riding our four wheelers in the sandhills when we stoped at a local party/drug doing spot out in the middle of the sand hills. so me and my dad got off our four wheelers and were looking around the spot. and we knew that there had been a party there a night before and we wanted to see if there droped some money or anything( wich i have found in local party spots before) any way we were looking, i was on one side of the fire pit and my dad was on the other side looking around when he said "hey i think i found somones cell phone" so i ran over there and he handed it to me and siad i could have it as he couldnt figure out how it works. so i took it and cleaned it up as it had sand on it but still worked fine:grin2:. i looked and listen to see if somone had lost a camera but after 3 months i gave up. i have looked it up and it is roughly a $400.00 camera. the model is casio exilim zoom, it has 7.2 mega pexels. and is plane kick butt. i know all of you are saying "why didnt you take it to the local cop shop"? well i figure it this way, they were out drinking, lost it and i found it. i did not steal it or take it. and its not like i found it in a park on a parkbench i found it at a party spot. i did my good dead and looked for the origanal owner. no i didnt put up flyers but i made sure and listend if somone had lost one. and if i would have herd somone lost one i would have gladly given it up.

but know i need to get a charger and some cables for it. i already bought another SD card so now all i really need is a charger for it.

but i am happy i got it. but i do feel bad for the person that lost it. as this thing can do anything. take pictures(of corse) record movies/films or whatever. of just do anything oyu weant.

cheers

frisco

Enlightened
watt4 said:

that was very handy.

second one was a 2 MP sony.

most recent is a 4 MP Kodak, 3x optical zoom

I had the Mavica also....... I thought it was Magic !!!!

Now my big boy is a Hasseblad H1 w/Leaf Aptus75 (100mb files)

frisco

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
4-5 years ago we bought a 1MP HP C200 Photo Smart. The LCD display died a year later so it's been a retarded 'point and shooter' on my desk ever since. I snap pics of the cat with it and any creeps that tick me off outside the house. It's broken but still very useful.

Mrs Umbra keeps a Cannon G2? at work.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
watt4 said:

Hold on to that. It is a timeless classic... Almost like an original gameboy on nintendo its gonna be a real neat thing to have years from now

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing I wonder, is how much film sales have dropped off in the last 10 years or so? Anyone have any statistics available? The only thing I can think I'll ever use film for again is for astronomical photos, or maybe one of those disposable 35mm cameras if I need a cheap camera in a pinch when my digital is unavailable.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
First one was a 2 MP Canon S110 Elph. Got it just after they came out at Ritz Camera. Still works like a champ. Did get another, Sony V1, a few years ago when they were being closed out as an upgrade. On auto settings, though, it's still hard to beat that old Canon. I'm also glad to see that the newer Canons haven't given up on optical viewfinders yet.

Geoff

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I got my Ricoh DRC 4200 for Christmas in 1998. It featured removable smartmedia cards up to 16 MB. The trick part was the swiveling lens. You could point the lens straight forward, back or anywhere in between. My wife bought it for $500.

1.32 Mega Pixels! It takes extremely good macro closeups. The wireless remote allowed some fairly good photography under low light.

I was able to take less than 50 pictures on a set of premium alkaline batteries.

Still have that one.

Daniel

Last edited:

drizzle

Enlightened
Well, you led me on a wild goose chase. I'm pretty sure I not only have my first digital camera but also the pictures from it. I can't find either right now and now I'll be looking all week for them. :p

My first Digital Camera was an Epson that I bought in about 1995 or 1996. It took 640X480 pictures, and stored them internally only. It could store about 30, IIRC. Then you had to download them to the PC. It had no LCD screen just the typical cheapo point and shoot viewfinder. In fact the entire camera looked really cheesy. But it took pretty good pictures and had one cool feature. You could operate it while connected to your PC. That way you could "see" through the camera lens via a window on the PC screen. You could also take pictures by clicking your mouse on the shutter release button in the control software window.

If I ever find the camera or pictures I will add to this post.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I resisted for years...my first was a Canon A75 3.2 MP in '04 which is still part of my EDC. For those spur of the moment grab shots. :)

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Canon A80.
4MP. Took a lot of cool pictures with that camera. Even though I have upgraded to dSLR now, one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken belongs to the A80. If I can find that picture, I will post it...

-Cameron

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sony Mavica, 640x480 resolution. it stores the pics on floppy disks.
In 2000 I was introduced to Digital Camera world first time by my friends dad (a senior Govt Official).... with Sony Mavica it used to have great shots, zoom as well.... used a floppy.... so had to carry a 10 box of floppies to have 'unlimited' store of photos...I used to request him every once a while. Especially when i wanted to take digital pictures and wanted to move em quickly on the PC.... film based camera had a cycle of atleast 3 days .... Shoot---Print----Develop----Scan... where as in case of digital... it was matter of minutes, it was much more convinient....

My First Owned Digital Camera, which I still Use is Kodak DX4900 it's 2X Optical Zoom, no internal memory, have 128 MB Compact Flash. i got it sometime in 2002.... the best I could get localy ...it was very expensive upwards of $1000 that time (note: localy in a third world country they earn loads of profits and have thick margins for 'imported' stuff)

More Info at http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/products/ekn026083.jhtml?CID=go&idhbx=4900support

Review at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakdx4900/

it is a great camera FWIW and has many modes including control over EV and shutter.... i have no immediate plans to upgrade.

my next upgrade will probably 16MP camera with atleast 8X or 10X zoom (perhaps a DSLR... not sure yet)

Last edited:

bubbacatfish

Enlightened
Olympus C-2100UZ (2.1MP) that I bought in 2001, cost me about $1700CDN. 10X optical zoom with stabilization, also bought a B300 teleconverter for it on fleabay. Made for a really long lens (optically & physically). Last summer I bought a Canon A-700 (6MP) for about $450 that is ok but doesn't have the stabilization.

From 1986 until 2001 I used a Nikon FM2n 35mm, cost me $850CDN which I love & would probably still use exclusively if black & white developing wasn't so damn expensive around here...

Good thread.