Do HIDs flicker?

andyo

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm wondering this, since I'm doing some tests and when I took a picture of the spot at 1s/500 shutter speed, I got a bluer spot than the next one, one minute later, at 1s/250. White balance and exposure is constant (changed ISO with shutter speed). This is a known effect with photography under flickering lights, like fluorescent. Color isn't constant under rapidly flickering lights if the shutter speed is too fast.

From what I understand of HID, I don't think this is the case, I'd just like to make sure.

I'm doing a time-lapse of the light to see how it changes over its runtime... I'll try to post it here. It's a Wolf Eyes 10W-168.

andyo

Newly Enlightened
Alright, so I'm watching the pictures of the thing, (all of them taken at 1s/250 shutter speed) and it seems it's a regulator thing.

For the first hour or a bit more, I get a redder spot, then it gradually turns blue (about 5 -7 frames, or 5 - 7 minutes) and then on the next frame it suddenly turns red again (with an apparent little increase in output). This doesn't happen for the last half hour or so, where the light just stays blue, and finally it shuts off.

I'll try to process the pics and post the time-lapse later in the day, or tomorrow.

By the way, I was talking about high-frequency flickering, like that of fluorescent light. We usually don't notice it with our bare eyes, but with a high shutter speed you can. Fluorescent flickering's frequency is tied with the AC frequency, though, so I don't think my HID could have the same high-frequency flickering for the same reason.

Thanks for your input.

max52

Newly Enlightened
I had the ficker problem with an AE 24W Powerlight. It did not functionally effect the use of the light, except it drove me nuts. I had the light for several years, and had not used it regularly. I talked to AE, and they suggested to replace the lamp. I take responsibility for the problem because I I turned it on, and off with not letting the lamp heat up. I not understand now that cycling HID lights without lettng the lamp reach an appropriate operating temperature is not great on the lamp, and can lead to the flicker problem.
Suffice to say replacing the lamp cured the problem.

wesalbert

Newly Enlightened
I believe what the poster is saying is do they flicker like a fluoesent. This is much quicker that what the eye can see. He isn't looking for the flicker like when a HID is starting up or when the battery is running low.