speaker scam.more added.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.scamshield.com/default.asp
the scammers that visited the shop yesterday were very persistant even as we showed them the site above.seems to be a widespread problem.Product or Service Involved: audiofile,dogg digital

a team in a red van approached us in the computer store i work in.same m.o as described on your site(extras on truck need to sell yadayada)
very persistant even as we showed that his product had no value on ebay and we showed him this and other scambuster sites.
description
red chevy or gmc cargo van late model.
plate is ohio pda 5204
van has a dent in the right rear door.
main "salesman"looked like a younger version of the hippie on that 70's show.
a young guy stayed in the van.
they made a beeline for i-75 when they noticed me writing down the plate.
twak.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I remember this from 20 or so years ago.... Don't know if this is the same "outfit", but the MO is the same. Unfortunately for the guys that got "intimidating" with me, I don't intimidate too well. Plus, I tend to assume anyone seling electronics equipment out of the back of a van stole it anyway.

Probably a "Traveller" operation.

B@rt

Flashaholic
It amazes me that there are people willing to buy quality speakers without listening to them...
icon15.gif

IMHO, if you want something better than "average",
please shop around, there are (overhere) numerous shops wich offer the opportunity to try out different speakers...
grin.gif

They may not be the cheapest, but considering the enjoyment, a well worth investment...
rolleyes.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, when I was selling audio at Circuit City back in '95 they would try to come in our parking lot. I would get asked all the time "have you ever heard of this kind of speaker (the speaker names changed frequently) and are they any good?". I would find out they were propositioned in the parking lot. I woud have another employee call the police. Then I would ask them how much sense would it make to buy a no name brand speaker they never heard of and never listened to for an insane price off of the back of a van in the parking lot of a major electronics store. Most would realise what was going on and keep on shopping.

LoneRebel

Enlightened
That exact same thing happened to me in '95. It was the same exact pitch. I simply said 'no' and walked away.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happened to me in Columbus, Ohio about 10 years ago. I don't remember what name they called the speakers, but it was really close to an established speaker brand, enough to confuse most people. They said something like they were shipping these speakers and the factory gave them a couple sets too many, so they were selling them (dirt cheap!) and going to pocket the money themselves. Even if their story was true (I'm sure it wasn't), that is theft any way you look at it. No thanks.

-Keith

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
"White Van Scammers lurking at an intersection or parking lot near you."

Wasn't that a X Files episode? Or was it the premise of a Stephen King short story?
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

ha. These guys tried scamming me twice in the same day a few years ago..they pulled up as I walked along the sidewalk on the lower West side in NYC and tried to sell me "Linear Phase" speakers..I made it clear to them I realized that these were not "Phase Linear" speakers, (a well known high-end brand, back then..) and they pointed out that these were indeed not them.."But they ring that bell of recognition.." I said, and told them they had stopped me a few hours ago on the upper East side too... "OK, we'll take you off the list.." they said.. and I never saw them again..funny..never thought I'd be hearing about them 15 years later..

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet they hit all college campuses hard. When I was at Dartmouth in early 90's they lurked frequently. Same MO even down to the white van. (Why white? Rental color?) It always annoyed me that I saw them more than once on the same little alley leading to the campus police station but the clowns were never sent to the slammer, at least not to my knowledge.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow...these people must get around because I remember those "white van" guys selling speakers at UCLA a few years back... Good thing I didn't have any money to buy them...even if they were dirt cheap! haha.
grin.gif