Windows (outlook) email question

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I currently have dual OS's. I want to be able to check my email on both of them. This is not a problem with the imap server where the emails are stored on the server, but for my other email, it is pop and the new emails are downloaded to the computer. Does anyone have any idea whether I can set up both instances of outlook to point to the same folder and they can both look at that common folder? If not, do you know where outlook stores downloaded emails so I can at least READ older emails on either OS?

TIA,
Spud

jmm

Newly Enlightened
You should be able to set any pop account to NOT download messages ("leave messages on the server"), if that will do what you want. The thing you have to change is in the Advanced account settings somewhere. I've done it many times but I just can't remember where the thingie is right now and I'm not near an Outlook equipped PC at the monment.

John

D

**DONOTDELETE**

um, I don't know if this what you're looking for, but, couldn't hurt; can you deselect 'erase from server' from your mail programs - then there will be a copy to download to both programs - when you get the second copy you can then erase from server..?
(on mine you go to email, pop, then edit.)

check one:
this answers my question perfectly, genius ___.
What the heck you talkin' bout leddy? ___.

rdwilson

Newly Enlightened
Simply pointing Outlook to a folder will not work because the messages are in a database. Some email clients (Pocomail for one) store messages as flat ASCII text and can be easily moved / accessed because it's all in a self contained folder.

JMM's suggestion is correct, have one OS leave mail on server end the other "master" OS download it. This keeps the server's mailbox from being over quota.

I hope that this helps.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Found out how to do it! Gotta look in documentsandsettings/owner(login name under home)/allsorts of other crap/inbox.dbx, then copy and paste it to the documentsandsettings/chris (loginname under pro) and overwrite it. Now all I need is a program that autostarts and overwrites the older file of the two folders with the most recently updated of the two. Any suggestions?

rdwilson

Newly Enlightened
We don't know what two OSs that you are using so the exact registry key may be in a different location. Here is a registry hack that works for mapped network drives. It might just work for a local folder as well.

**Do this only if your comfortable with editing the registry. Back-up before modifying, make ERD, bla, bla...

According to Microsoft, the Outlook Express message folder must be located on a local hard disk, not on removable media or a network share. But it's possible to overcome this limitation - that's the good news. The bad news is that moving the location of the mail store to a mapped or removable drive isn't supported by Microsoft, so you use the following information at your own risk.

This hack applies to Windows 95 or Windows 98. Load the Registry Editor, RegEdit (having first taken a security backup of the Registry) and drill down to the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT _USER\Software\Microsoft \Outlook Express. Right click on the Store Root value to edit it, changing it to the desired network share or path. Note that if user profiles are in force, the Store Root value is located in the registry key: HKEY_USERS\username\Software \Microsoft\Outlook Express. 'Username' is the name you use to log on to Windows 95/98.

Things are slightly different in Outlook Express 5.x as it lacks separate Mail and News folders because everything is now held in .DBX message stores - Inbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and so on.

The registry location for Outlook Express 5 is: HKEY_CURRENT _USER\Identities\{idnum}\Software \Microsoft\Outlook Express.

A good resource for additional information is here.

Saaby

Flashaholic
He he--I have been doing this for years (So that I can do my eMail from any computer in the networked house)

Sorry I didn't find this earlier...