Got my BB !!!!

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fellows, I got my BB out of customs from GhostReaction today:popcorn: , guess what I'm going to be doing tonight:naughty: . I am ever so impressed with this magnificent light!! and I haven't even turned it on yet.

bc5000

Newly Enlightened
You got a good deal, I don't remember it coming with the extra battery & bulb when it first came up for sale.

frogs3

Enlightened
Be sure to read and follow the instructions about storage for the extra battery. If you don't have them with the light, go to XeVision's website and you will find them there. Also, store the extra bulb carefully, with lots of padding so it doesn't land on a hard surface accidentally.

Otherwise, charge it up and behold an amazing amount of light in such a well designed package.

-HAK

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just planning on rotating the batteries. GhostReaction could not have had things better packed. The spare bulb has a plastic tube I think made special and will be stored separately. HID bulbs don't just burn out like incans and don't need to be carried around with the light, though your advice is fully appreciated frogs3.

One thing that really surprised me was the amount of orange tint this capsule throws down. I don't know why. The quality of the beam could be very enhanced and increased by doing away with the return wire insulator and bending the return wire inward like most other HID flashlights out there, but I fully know and understand why Dan has not done this. It shows the profesionalism that goes into these lights and the company that sells them.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
frogs3 said:
Be sure to read and follow the instructions about storage for the extra battery. If you don't have them with the light, go to XeVision's website and you will find them there. Also, store the extra bulb carefully, with lots of padding so it doesn't land on a hard surface accidentally.

Otherwise, charge it up and behold an amazing amount of light in such a well designed package.

-HAK

See now after all this time, I didn't know about the instructions for caring for my extra battery. This is why reading all these threads is important.

On a side note, I can't imagine anyone selling their Barn Burner....but I'm also glad that Chris sold me his several months ago. They are just so awsome. Congratulations on your new "Portable Sun" !!

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
The extra battery was a mistake IMHO. The shelf life is not good and we're talking about how to store it. Further, it cannot be charged unless a swap is made. I'm thinking it would have been better for those who bought it to save the bucks for when needed. But, I don't mind!!

BVH

Flashaholic
Now come on guys! You're making my mouth water for the ballast upgrade GB. But, I did get my LarryK14 so I guess I can play with it to satisfy my lumens craving.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH said:
Now come on guys! You're making my mouth water for the ballast upgrade GB. But, I did get my LarryK14 so I guess I can play with it to satisfy my lumens craving.

Easy easy BVH, he he!! and I'm anxiously waiting for my 50W ballast to try it out in my BB. Mr. TedBear says the combination of the DL-50 with the 50W ballast is the best ticket. You guys will be able to try that out too with your new capsules when you get them.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
No not really Lux, it's apparently the quality of the beam not brightness. Like I say i don't know yet but Mr. Ted Bear likes it very much.

bc5000

Newly Enlightened
LED61 said:
No not really Lux, it's apparently the quality of the beam not brightness. Like I say i don't know yet but Mr. Ted Bear likes it very much.

Not sure if youv'e seen them, but there's some beam shots posted awhile back comparing the DL-50 & 35W with the 50W ballast.

frogs3

Enlightened
Re: Got my BB - from another Flashaholic

Dear LuxL,

I wasn't offered an extra battery, as it was not part of the deal from another member of CPF, but they do require some care, as Dan spells out at his website http://www.xevision.com/ and words like "rupture, ignite, or explode when exposed to high temperatures or direct sunlight" are serious stuff. As you and I have learned, it pays to understand these powerful lights and keep reading, because others may treat them like "boytoys", but they are more like automobiles that have the potential to be harmful if we are not careful.

The last thing I want to see posted is that someone had a bulb (consider the tank light threads) or a battery explode and cause physical harm.

For those awaiting nervously the upgrade to BB, it will be worth it. I cannot imagine carrying around a bigger light, except for fun. This one works well, for example at Ham Radio Field Days, where you sometimes need to bring daylight to an area for a period of time. The generators will recharge the LiIons soon enough for the next session. Just one example of real-world use of the BB.

-HAK