Hams - check in!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I've noticed that a bunch of us are Hams - How many others are out there?

KC2IXE

Queens County Emergency Coordinator - NYC ARES
Queens County Radio Officer - NYC RACES

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
de NCØS

Used to be radio-active, but recently haven't had the interest lately. Still like to pound the brass once in a while, with a QRP rig and some crappy antenna thrown up in some trees. But lately, I just monitor .52 and some of the birds (Saudi-Sat's, Space Station, U0-14...) while driving to and from work.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
KC2FCR

I was somehow suckered into being secretary of our local ARES/RACES group. One of these days I'll get an HF antenna back up, until then most of my radio time is 2m while driving around in circles.

PSK is pretty big here, and we have some nicely active and friendly groups doing all kinds of strange new things. Lately it's been something called "echo link".

snuffy

Enlightened
CW Op for 33 years. de K9PX --... ...--
grin.gif

beemerphile

Newly Enlightened
K4LAD

2M Icom in the truck (IC 2800). I am working on an APRS setup thru my Garmin StreetPilot and Toshiba Libretto. I take a 2M HT and repeater directory with me on motorcycle trips and work the local repeaters from my tent (by the light of a green Krill). Often get locals to suggest the little known excellent restaurants or local places of interest. 73

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm a "wanna be" (but know that "doesn't count"), listen to the scanners & worldband radio often...can't seem to get enough. Started taking a basic course, got halfway through it and the Gulf War happened, then never finished.

I respect those who take the time to get their license. All the HAMs I've met have been good people - reminds me of the folks here!

DLG

Newly Enlightened
K9JDK

Not very active at the moment. Local club just shut down. Busy raising a family; 3 kids, 1 off to college in Sept, one finishing grammar school and one in 4th grade. Keeps me and my wife hoppin'.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by Charles Gallo:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Albany Tom:
KC2FCR
...snip... Lately it's been something called "echo link".
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hate that thing</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm becoming non-thrilled with it.

Queen's county RACES... We had some guys from this area down during 9/11, through Westchester. I'm trying to think of something else to say about that, but I can't. Were you working with the red cross nets?

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by Sigman:
I'm a "wanna be" (but know that "doesn't count"), listen to the scanners & worldband radio often...can't seem to get enough. Started taking a basic course, got halfway through it and the Gulf War happened, then never finished.

I respect those who take the time to get their license. All the HAMs I've met have been good people - reminds me of the folks here!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey, I was a wanna be for 30 years, don't feel bad! It counts, and welcome. The tests aren't that bad at all, and you can get computer versions to study, written and morse. Not all hams are great guys (you'll find that out after talking to a few people at hamfests), but it is a good group in general. Kinda like flashlight people....

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm not even up on the requirements today. Back when I was "getting in to it", their was alot of talk about a no-code license to start out. What are today's requirements...what's a good site to check out the basics? Thanks!

Frank Schwab

Newly Enlightened
N7QBA

Got into it as a means of communications when flying cross-country in my Hang Glider. So, never got past the Technician level, but sure helped a lot of other pilots get their tickets.

/frank

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Heavy into APRS...3.5 digi's, GPS and laptop in car, and Weather on local APRS net 24/7.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Ed

KA2SZK

No organizations to speak of, as I am a sole practicioner. I routinely go to ham fest though. Many bargains abound. Plus I'm into kits(electronic).
I work the VHF/UHF 2m/70cm bands the most. Little 220 since half the band was "confiscated" from us.
mad.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ex KC8HN here. Gave up my Advanced Class due to what I perceived as problems between me and Government. My Novice exam was done by my Elmer, and the General and Advanced were before an FCC Examiner. Toward the end, my only activity was ARES Skywarn.

Pretty durn bad for a Ham to have nothing to Talk about! What was I supposed to talk about, Astrology and New Age topics?? (Yep, you read that right.)

My HF rig was a Heathkit HW-101. The only rig that ever made through Field Day, still working (around here).

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim, NØJS here. I have 3 Yaesu FT-90s and a Yaesu VX-5R. I am a Deputy Sheriff assigned to the Warrant Unit, but temporarily on re-assignment to Civil Process. I have taken extensive training in emergency management through our state DEM and FEMA. I am the back up Emergency Manager for our county. I have been in our EOC for a couple of nuclear power plant drills in the past. Formerly involved in CAP communications. That is probably more than any of you wanted or needed to know.

Latest posts