On Closing Threads

Tombeis

Enlightened
I for one feel that the closing of threads on this forum happens all to often, and is a violation of free speech and the American way.

Most of the people who post here are intelligent people who don't need Mom telling them when to stop.

What say you?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the topic gets heated, so be it. as long as there is no name calling or nasty behavior, let's debate!

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I came here for an argument!!"
"No you didn't"
Monty Python
grin.gif

Dan

"Irony is....Naming the national airport after the president who fired the air traffic controllers"

Saaby

Flashaholic
Tombeis...here is your answer, and I quote from Censoring the CPF

Originally posted by David W, Administrator #2 (and board owner)
Heads up guys. Incoming. Fire in the hole. This is my message board. This is my bulletin board. There are no written rules. There are some unwritten rules. Be civilized. No personal attacks. Talk about lights. There are areas for non-light topics.

I decide what is good on CPF. I decide who is Administrator. I decide who is moderator. AND I decide who is naughty and who is nice. If you don't act accordingly then you're history until you shape up. If you don't like that then start your own flashlight/light discussion board.

I reserve the right to censor discussion. I don't do that often but I will do it. I reserve the right to ban members until they shape up. I've only done it twice. But I'm sure will do it in the future.

If you have a problem with an Administrator or Moderator please email me. DON'T make it public. That is a good way to get your thread locked and put you on the verge of being banned. Here are my email addresses:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Just because your email gets to my inbox instantly does NOT mean you will get an instant response.

There are personal attacks towards regular members and the administrative staff. If you wish to continue contributing to CPF you will stop it or be banned until you decide that you will play by my rules. Attack the post, not the poster.

Administrators and Moderators can and do behave badly. It is my job to put them in their place. Nobody elses. You go through me if you have problem with the administrative staff. They act on my behalf because I can't be online 24/7. I back up what they do 90% of the time. The other 10% I take care of behind the scenes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Tombeis

Enlightened
tkl:

Uhh, which word Russ, I only got a sixth grade Texas educashun, and the confuter needs a new keybord.

Thanks anyway.
blush.gif

Saaby:

That does not make it right. Start thinking for yourself and don't be a squealer.

Dan:

Your whole post makes more sense then I have seen posted anywhere in the Cafe.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
closing IS necessary to keep CPF a useful discussion board, even with off-topic threads.
just like darell said in the "war-thread", the usefulness of a discussion ends when no one is learning something and when there isn't any joy in it any more. flaming and name-calling are of course reasons for closing, too, but aren't senn very often here happily.
in order to maintain a highly effective onformatiion tool (CPF) you have to eliminate the possibility of wasting precious time with reading useless stuff in a thread that is spiraling downwards into oblivion ...
determinating when to do this is very difficult and very well acomplished by our moderators, IMHO.

BTW, mom couldn't do that, could she?
grin.gif
grin.gif

bernhard

Greta

Flashaholic
Saaby:

That does not make it right. Start thinking for yourself and don't be a squealer.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey Tom... Mom here! Guess what? Saaby is not a squealer, he is an administrator. Check the little title under his username... pretty cool, eh? Now go back and read what Saaby posted as far as what David said. BTW... David pays the bills around here. He can do whatever he damn well pleases.

So... as you can see, Saaby has the trust and respect of the "Big Guy" here. And should this thread deteriorate into nothing but whining and name calling (yes, you did call Saaby a squealer and question his authority), I will lock this thread down too.

Now can we PLEASE just move on? Hmm?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, it's DAVID'S board, and he can shut down any topics he wants... There "Ain't" no RIGHT to free speech on "private property" unless the owner wants it that way.

That said, I can't remember back far enough to remember the last time that David himself actually locked a topic....... He tends to be a bit more "Lassiez Faire" than Mistress Sasha, Saaby (the executioner) and Mad Cow Darell
wink.gif

I've been tempted to shut down a few threads on the boards I have moderator priveleges, although not because they get argumenative but because they get childish if not just completely stupid.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hey Silviron, I think the "private-property" is not sufficient to justify censorship when a discussion board is concerned.
BUT of course I do agree that closing threads and monitoring the posts is absolutely necessary (see my post above).
bernhard

ah, and ...

"Mistress Sasha"
"Saaby the executioner"
"Mad Cow Darell"
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

now THAT was worth reading this thread anyway, HAR HAR HAR ... these names truly have power.

Empath

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Tombeis:
....a violation of free speech and the American way.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Originally posted by Tombeis:
Saaby:

That does not make it right.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The right to free speech protects you from the government censoring your speech. The government isn't involved here, and no such rights have been granted by David.

As long as you use another man's podium to speak, your words are only what he permits. You can however, get your own podium, and provided you can find a willing listener then you can say whatever you wish. You talk about what's right, well.... what wouldn't be right is if the man providing the podium had to give it to anyone that wanted it to use any way they wished.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, here we go again I'm getting argumentative (and nit-picky)- (I'm probably working on losing my moderator standing here with my posts of the last few days.....)

Well, In my humble opinion, private property is the best reason possible for allowing censorship; As far as I am concerned private property rights trump the First Ammendment rights, (and I think Jefferson and Madison would back me up on this if they had internet access
wink.gif
).

I'd rather see some censorship than lose the forum completely, even though I have kind of lost interest in flashaholism.

On some of the outside forums that I have "owned", I have had to shut them down COMPLETELY because they either degenerated into constant getrichquickstuffingenvelopes, increase yourP#&($size, getbigboobs, watchmegetnekkid posts, OR they got into physical threats, or other legal issues that could get me as the "property owner" sued.

P.S. I gave Sabby (The Executioner) admninistrator priveleges even before he got it here at one of my own boards because I respect his judgement in such things.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hm, ... Silviron, maybe you are right and I was wrong above. I'll think about that.

and I'll close my mouth on this now before getting whipped by the mistress or executed or ... well, whatever Cows do with their poor victims.
grin.gif

bernhard

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to prevent actual physical violence or worry about colateral damage from the explosion, it is Darell that was being referred to in that respect.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
gulp ... I am not even here. hiding behind my mom.
[shivering]
smile.gif

had a nightmare of a big cow with Arc AAA legs and a human head ... a woman dressed all-black with some kind of tattoo and a horrible whip ... and someone standing next to a guillotine with a swedish car in the background ... argh! have to wake up ...
grin.gif
grin.gif

bernhard

Greta

Flashaholic
Ok guys... now think about this and the... well, would it be irony? or would it just be... wrongness?!?!?
shocked.gif
... In this thread I have been referred to as both a Mom and a Mistress. Think about that.
winkie.GIF

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
HMM.... I'm trying to think.....

All I can think of is:

A very fortunate and happy (but somewhat wary)Husband????

Kiessling

Flashaholic
thinking is not required.
only obedience.

(hey all, no insults intended to no one! just kidding. really. I love you all
smile.gif
)