How difficult was your decision to use rechargeables?

alanagnostic

Enlightened
For me I was on the fence about rechargeable batteries while I was doing research. I thought to myself about how many primaries I could buy for the cost of a charger and batteries. I don't use my lights that frequently so the cost/benefit wasn't that favorable for rechargeables. There were a few things that pushed me toward rechargeables. One was that I didn't want to send a lot of used batteries to the landfill. Another was that I am pretty cheap sometimes and I knew that I would monitor my use of primary batteries knowing they cost $1-2 each. I knew that I wouldn't use my lights just for the fun of it if I was replacing batteries all the time. The thing that really helped me though was a simple saying by one of the members here (I think it was Paul from Maryland)...."guilt free lumens". I knew when I read that that it was the right way to go. Using rechargeable batteries has helped me enjoy my lights so much more than if I just used primaries. It has also led me down the path of LED's, and I don't think I can go back to incandescents.:awman:

How about you? Was/is the decision to use rechargeable batteries with your flashlights a difficult one? Is anyone not glad they went the rechargeable route?

22hornet

Enlightened
Aside from the fact that you have "free lumens", the next is also a consideration.
Rechargeables can always be topped up, so you always know your light will run for a certain time.
When using primaries you are seldom sure about the remaining capacity.

Another consideration/bonus is the more regulated output the rechargeable cells will deliver.

Kind regards,
Joris

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well CR123 cells are not cheap in Canada. I didn't want to get a bunch shipped from the US and store them. I got rechargables because I like to play with my light so it was a natural choice.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Love the "free lumens", so rechargeables go in my most used "prowling about the house" lights. Primaries go in those that sit in the car or just come out occasionally for grins. Besides, I've had chargers around for years, mostly for my radios.

Geoff

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with tebore. I do however use primaries in my PD because I am not the most consciencious at charging and one time I was using my PD and it suddenly turned off due to the low voltage sensor in the light. It was bright enough when I was using it at the time that I had no idea it was getting low (the benefits of good regulation I guess). The good thing about rechargeables in my HDS is that the light tells me when to charge the battery when it steps down. I really shoud learn to be more on top of my charging.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
22hornet said:
Aside from the fact that you have "free lumens", the next is also a consideration.
Rechargeables can always be topped up, so you always know your light will run for a certain time.
When using primaries you are seldom sure about the remaining capacity.

Another consideration/bonus is the more regulated output the rechargeable cells will deliver.

Kind regards,
Joris
what he said :D

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
More power in same size 2 x 123, ( 9volt lamps instead of 6 Volt)

Flatter discharge than primaries

Cheaper, in the long run, and If i buy a primary cell in the UK it is more than a rechargable RCR123.

safer with protected cells than with primaries no reverse charging.

Free, more lumens,

whats not to like. :)

coppertrail

Enlightened
I went to rechargables when I purchased my first Digicam back in 03'. I discovered the more advanced NiMH chargers when I purchased a better digicam in 05'. Now, for some reason, I'm "hooked" on chargers (maybe "charger hobbyist", "enthusiast", or "collector" are better terms) ;) .

With the lights that I've purchased over the past few months, my NiMH cells are really coming in handy.

BladeZealot

Enlightened
I too liked the "guilt free lumens" aspect.

I'm much more apt to use my lights now than BR {before rechargeables:D}, especially when it is not really necessary to do so.:)

I ""play" with them farrrrr to often now.

I wish I had switched years ago!!

2hotford

Newly Enlightened
tebore said:
Well CR123 cells are not cheap in Canada. I didn't want to get a bunch shipped from the US and store them. I got rechargables because I like to play with my light so it was a natural choice.

Hey,

Where did you purchase your rechargeables from in Canada?

Tim

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
2hotford said:
Hey,

Where did you purchase your rechargeables from in Canada?

Tim

I didn't get them in Canada I just sent about $20cnd to AW to get the MP700 cell and a Nano charger. I've been using it for about a 9 months.

TJZ

Newly Enlightened
It was simple!
I use my lights too much to use standard batteries.
Plus the CR123 batteries are expensive and I have one and two
battery model flashlights with them.
All my lights have rechargeable batteries, AA-1.25V, RCR123-3.0V, 3.6V.
I will always use them. I carry spare ones and if I need more runtime
I simply switch them.
Rechargeable batteries often don't last as long as standard batteries, but it's
great to use them ("free lumens") and just recharge them again and again...

happy14.gif

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
The price of a recharger and cells V's the price of a big stack of primaries is one of the things that put me off for a while...the big push for me was my HDS U60 being unable to sustain max output when I knew there was a fair bit of juice left in the primary cell...it seemed wastefull to put another fresh one in there before the old one was truly used up.

I now have RCR123's and 18650's that provide guilt free lumens (and the ability to use/charge several other li-ion cells). I will also spend some cash on an Energizer 15 minute charger for AAA/AA cells in the next few weeks, which will mean that I have all (my) bases covered.

I would urge anybody who is sitting on the fence to take the plunge into the world of rechargables, well worth the initial outlay IMO.

BTW, I also play with my lights more often, knowing that a fresh cell can be rolled out of the charger at no real cost.
smile.gif

CFU

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use them for all sorts of lights. The li-on's are especially good for to power my P91. With primaries, the brightness would dim considerably within 10 minutes. With two 17670's or 18500's the P91 maintains its brightness for twice or three times as long with no dimming except when the batteries are near exhausted.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good arguments so far, but I missed one:

Think about all the thousands of old primary cells, recheargeables are much better for our environment:)

Best regards

____
Tom

Roccomo

Enlightened
I was not into the rechargeables at all because it takes me quite a while to beat a primary in my HDS EDC. Then I got an ORB RAW with a nano charger. With that sitting around I decided to try an RCR123A. I liked it and got more.

KenD

Newly Enlightened
Question on rechargables...

I am fairly new to the world of flashlights, but I do have a Surefire A2 and a Fenix P1D CE both using CR123 batteries. I have two questions.

Will rechargables work well on these two flashlights?, and..

What recharging unit and RCR123 battery brand do you recommend so as to not damage my flashlights yet not diminish the output?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
Once I started down the lithium powered addiction road, thanks in no small part to AlCanada1 I might add, I realized that, while my Commander will buy AAA, AA, C, D & 9 v alkaline primary cells, there is NO WAY that he, or most others, would buy CR123A primary cells.

Given the current size of my collection of illumination tools, and my attempts to infect my partners with the above-noted addiction, RCR123A, 16340, 18500 and 18650 cells are the only route to go!

Smaller, brighter, lighter, easier to carry and rechargeable - who says you HAVE to compromise!

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
I'm a recent convert to rechargeables. One thing that kept me on the fence was that I found them a bit confusing at first. As soon as I got my first set back in November, I finally "got it". 2 months later and I have my Jetbeam and 4 of my Surefires using rechargeables. I use my lights a lot more now without worrying about waste.

Ken, I believe rechargeables will work in your Fenix, but not in your A2. I recall having read that the rechargeables will overdrive your LED's.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased my first minimag mod (BB500 sandwich) back in Nov. 02 and used alkalines. The alkies gave me about 75 minutes of runtime and I used the light for a bicycle helmet light. A couple of months go by and I realize I am burning through quite a few 18-packs of AA batteries. I then realize my butt is going to Iraq in early 03. No problem, drag along over 100 alkalines and I'll be set.

As soon as I got back from the desert I purchased a AccuManager 20 charger and eight Powerex 2200mAH cells and have not looked back. It really bites to use up alkalines as not to waste them so I was not quite sure the remaining runtime. When in Iraq, I could not buy extra batteries but I did have access to power to feed a charger.

Returned to Iraq in late 04 and brought along an 18 pack of alkalines and two dozen 2200 & 2300mAH cells. My EDC minimag BB500 went through 48 sets of rechargables, my shortwave radio, powered speakers, camera and other things went through about 20 sets. My buddy used 8 of my cells and recharged them twice a week. It would of taken HUNDREDS of AA alkalines to keep everything running for those 149 days (yes, I kept count) This time of could of purchased AA cells but why go through the hassle and expense? The rechargables last longer, I know how much life is left in them, no need to find more disposables and oh yeah, it actually saved me money. My buddy purchased a battery charger/NiMH batteries when he got back.

Then the MillerMods 1.7 watt L1P became my bicycle helmet light, it pulls 1.7 amps from the single AA cell so it is either lithium or NiMH batteries. Why waste money on primaries when you can waste money on new flashlights? I've been using chargers for 3.5 years and now am a "charger-holic" Have another charger that will work with 12V DC, 110V and 220/240V with adapters and a battery analyzer to keep all the cells balanced. My family uses NiMH for MP3 players, cameras and other things. They are wondering when I am going to get some Eneloops so everything will run on rechargables... alkalines are a pain in the butt.

With the high output, variable output single AA/AAA lights running Cree LEDs arriving, alkalines won't feed them very long at high outputs. Rechargables will and with the low self-discharge Eneloops available, there is just pure downsides to using alkalines. I still use lithium AA/AAA cells for my bicycle red LED flashers though, they perform better in freezing temperatures and the higher voltage keeps them bright.

The downer with RCR123 lithium-ions is, when they are gone...they are gone! I only use them with my Fire~FlyIII and check the voltage once a week and recharge when the resting voltage drops below 3.7V. Once a decent single AAA Cree light with multiple levels arrives, it gets kick off my keychain so I need not worry about that. I'll snuggle up to an Eneloop AAA to feed the EDC keychain light.

Not sure what to do with the remaining 10 CR123A cells, probably take them with me to Iraq and trade things for them. :)

Now to see if I can get a solar panel for my 12V charger :D