Gun control article in US NEWS

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Lott screwed up and the wolves are licking their chops! It's interesting how they try to discredit Lott in the article but offer no supporting facts. Another part I really liked was, "Other academics agree with Donohue that Lott is sometimes hasty in his conclusions" It has been my experience that the words academics liberal and gun control go hand in hand. Again, no facts to show Lott is wrong, just "hasty."

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
what do you expect from the mainstream press besides liberal slander?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Universities certainly believe that the Constitution was flushed down the toilet long ago, unless their Constitutional Rights come under fire!!!!

I was an NRA member for a while. They published an internal memo from the Brady foundation (gun control lobby). It was for senior lobbyists and friendly politicians only. It set forth the true goals of Gun Control: First to get rid of the Second Amendment. Second and finally to get rid of The Constitution itself!!!!

If you bother to read the Second Amendment, nowhere does it use the word "Firearms." It uses the far more comprehensive word "Arms." "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Benjamin Franklin, who wrote that Amendment, stated that the purpose of it as an individual right, is to be a final check and balance against would be Despots. After all, you can't impose despotic rule with an armed populace. You have to disarm the people, first!! That disarming of the populace, is well underway, in the guise of "Crime Prevention."

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I found it somewhat encouraging that the pro gun view was at least mentioned in a national magazine. I was also pleasantly surprised to realize that 39 states have a more reasonable view of this issue than my state, especially my city.

The extremely strict gun laws in my city are a source of frustration for me.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I found it somewhat encouraging that the pro gun view was at least mentioned in a national magazine. I was also pleasantly surprised to realize that 39 states have a more reasonable view of this issue than my state, especially my city.

The extremely strict gun laws in my city are a continuing source of frustration for me.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
....I was an NRA member for a while. They published an internal memo from the Brady foundation (gun control lobby). It was for senior lobbyists and friendly politicians only. It set forth the true goals of Gun Control: First to get rid of the Second Amendment. Second and finally to get rid of The Constitution itself!!!!...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Charles,

Can that really be true? It's such an extraordinary position that I simply can't believe that any rational person would endorse it. I can at least understand the mindset that would want to ax the 2nd Amemendment, but to kill the Constitution itself? What a hateful, irrational and ultimately self destructive thing to want.

No, it's too unbelieveable. I would need to see proof.

Brightnorm

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I find it interesting, any talk of for/against gun control in the US, contrasted to New Zealand. There, guns are fairly easily acquired by Joe Citizen, albeit requiring licensing, but what's surprising is that police officers don't routinely carry arms while on duty. And yet there have been a lack of major incidents involving firearms abuse/misuse. Compared to other countries where firearms are "outlawed" and the police carry, armed offences per capita are probably much higher.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Onyx:
I find it interesting, any talk of for/against gun control in the US, contrasted to New Zealand. There, guns are fairly easily acquired by Joe Citizen, albeit requiring licensing, but what's surprising is that police officers don't routinely carry arms while on duty. And yet there have been a lack of major incidents involving firearms abuse/misuse. Compared to other countries where firearms are "outlawed" and the police carry, armed offences per capita are probably much higher.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">what does that tell you? similiar things happen in states that regulate firearms the least.