GSM phones and SIM unlock

guncollector

Enlightened
Anyone else out there with a GSM cellular phone?

My Nokia 7210 from AT&T Wireless has the stupid SIM locked so I can't use SIMs from any other Service Provider
frown.gif

Has anyone out there tried one of these GSM SIM *UNLOCK* services or devices you can find all over the Internet? The majority of these firms seem located in the UK or Poland, or Czech Republic.

Just curious...

Monsters_Inc

Banned
That's 1 way the phone co's try to screw people.
But with the spread of "free info" on the 'net, you're bound to find what you're looking for.

I did the proper thing and went thru my phone provider to unlock my Ericsson a while back, the code they gave didn't work. It took 4-5 attempts all diff codes to get it unlocked! So they're as clueless as anybody...

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you own a data cable (to connect phone to pc) it should be possible to simply download the relevant software to unlock the phone.

I found a program called "Nokia Unlocker V9.0" As I don't own a Nokia phone I can't say if it actually works.

I would be happy to email it to you if you want to give it a try.

As the file came from Kazaa I ran a virus check using Norton and nothing nasty showed up, also judging by the interface it looks like it does what it claims to, that's about all I can tell you
smile.gif

guncollector

Enlightened
Yeah, I there exists some software out there that will unlock the SIM-lock, but you have to have the required data cable and the nerves to mess with your phone innards.

Anyway, for those interested, I just used the services of Trendyfone.com in the UK and for £15.00 charged to my Visa card (figured I have some recourse to reverse the charges if necessary). Within 30 min. of my payment via CC, I was emailed the SIM UNLOCK procedure and code that took all of 1 min. to perform! No cables nor computers needed...just punch in the numbers on your phones keypad. That's it.

Now, I can use any Service Provider's SIM card, including ones from foreign tel. companies when travelling overseas! Also, if I want I can use a variety of the Prepaid SIM cards from many providers.

Cool beans...

guncollector

Enlightened
Onyx writes:
That's 1 way the phone co's try to screw people.
But with the spread of "free info" on the 'net, you're bound to find what you're looking for.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Y'know, if the phone companies were "giving" you the phone as part of your service contract, okay I understand the justification for SIM lock.

But, hey, they charge through the nose for these handset especially as in my case because I didn't want to change tel. numbers I paid full list for my Nokia GSM handset. There is no justification for the SIM lock.